Ask Nintendo to sharpen NES VC!!!

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by veelk, Dec 17, 2014.

1. veelk
    OP

veelk Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2014
    United States
    Man. This annoys me to no end.
    Blurry NES VC. As if that wasn't enough, the colors are faded too.
    This would be such an easy fix for them, unlike something like input lag which would be very difficult if not impossible to fix.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiu-vc-vs-vwii-fceugx-emulator.360940/

http://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/1cmhf6/kirbys_adventure_nes_vc_looks_blurry_and_faded_on/

Here are links that talk about this, however I've provided an image on my own to give a clear example of what this is like.
    3DS and Wii U BOTH are affected!!!!!!!!!!!

I wrote to: nintendo -at- noa.nintendo.com and they answered...

But if there's a better place to complain / suggest them to fix this, let me know.

[​IMG]

xwatchmanx likes this.

2. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    They expect you to pay for that crap, I'd pay for it if you must, but then just play the rom

3. veelk
    OP

veelk Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2014
    United States
    Yup :hateit:
    It's sad. BUT this can be fixed. If it does, it will be perfect HD VC (Wii U) and perfect portable NES VC.

4. ChrisRX

ChrisRX GBAtemp Fan

Nov 8, 2006
    I suppose technically the blurriness is more like playing on an original NES instead of an emulator.

5. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if this was done on purpose to look more like a CRT. The GBA VC games that are on the 3DS are also much darker and less colorful than on something like VBA because that was how they looked on the OG GBA.

6. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Nintendo will never fix it as they could care less a bout vc

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The "blur" doesn't look bad on 3DS. Just looks antialiased a bit.
    Looks awful on Wii U though, it can't possibly be that bad. Need a capture from someone with a Wii U connected to their capture card to verify this.

With GBA games, that's actually a good thing, as many of them were overly bright in order to compensate for that and so they look terrible on emulators.

xwatchmanx likes this.
  8. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    People paying with money for Virtual Console, oh boy.

9. RevPokemon

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Honestly one thing that could help would be to mess around with the sharpness and display settings on your TV.

10. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    The colors being faded is a simple choice of palette.
    The blurriness, especially on the 3DS, is likely from scaling.

11. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    GBA games actually look a lot better on the Wii U, that's because one, Nintendo hired M2 to write an emulator but two, the games use the color palettes on how they SHOULD have looked. Overly bright colors on most GBA emulators look like crap.

injection18 likes this.
  12. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    As far as VC goes, they don't use fancy scaling algorithm or forced uprendering you see on an emulator.

13. veelk
    OP

veelk Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2014
    United States
    All right. Something everyone needs to understand:
    The NES does NOT LOOK BLURRY on the original TV and Console set up. It looked quite sharp actually.
    http://mikejmoffitt.com/img/tvrgb/WP_20131211_017.jpg

Look at the mountain outline. This is more or less how sharp it looks like from a REAL CONSOLE to a REAL TV.

Look at the SNK logo
    http://rcadegaming.com/images/sony27arcade6.jpg
    This is how a real TV looks. Not sure that's from a NES, but it shouldnt be much different at all.

The 3DS Antialising is bad. It distorts images completely. That example in the first post i made is REALLY from a 3DS capture card.
    As for the Wii U example, that is not from a capture card cause I did not have one at the time, but I'll find a pic taken from it.

Edit: uploaded a pic of MegaMan (NES) running on Wii U VC captured from the console.
    FADED AS HELL COLORS OMG BLURRYNESS

Attached Files:

14. RevPokemon

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Honestly I feel the VC colors and how well they look are simply a thing of personal taste and opinion.

15. veelk
    OP

veelk Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2014
    United States
    If it was personal taste and opinion, they should have given options then. It's true, some people like blurryness and hate blockyness, but there should be the option, dont you think?

VMM likes this.
  16. Eurasiam

Eurasiam GBAtemp Regular

Sep 11, 2009
    United States
    - Wii U VC recording

- Original Nes recording

I actually played on both recently and I thought it was my recorder making my video dark. But man...i'm shocked. So much brighter and vibrant on an original NES

Walker D and veelk like this.
  17. veelk
    OP

veelk Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2014
    United States

You see???? OMG That looks horrible on the Wii U. I understand that the NES didn't exactly have the best quality either, some pixels would mess up, but isnt the Wii U supposed to give us something that is at least the same or better? I wouldnt mind if it was the exact same as the NES. That would be kinda cool actually. Some NES emulators have NTSC filters for that. UGHHHHH I'm so frustrated. Can't we all complain now that we've seen those 2 videos? Thanks for posting btw :D

18. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    That actually depends on one's TV. A standard setup looks horrible on typical HDTV. The picture you showed is one a regular CRT.

19. Eurasiam

Eurasiam GBAtemp Regular

Sep 11, 2009
    United States
    For context. i used a DVD recorder for the nes recording, and the wii u recording was with a PVR 2, incase that matters much. Its awesome how the nes actually had an output for video and mono audio. I loved playing on an orignal nes and will always love it

20. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    I just use this AV Famicom and Everdrive N8 on the 36" JVC television I bought in 2001. Looks pretty good.

[​IMG]