OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pakistan
Hi all,

From a japnese scan it is now known that ASH (Archaic Sealed Heat) will be the first DS game to utilise 2Gb cards.

Now, I am even more eager for more carts to support SDHC microSD cards.
shy.gif

You thoughts
unsure.gif

pristinemog

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think it's awesome! I'm glad that the capacities of these games can get higher than just 1024mbit. MORE STORAGE = MORE CONTENT!

But if these games continue to grow in size, say, reaching 4096mbit, I'd have to be forced to look into a SDHC compliant flash card. My 1GB card would only hold 2 of those games, that's a no no.

Of course, that's assuming it increases again. With all this cheap removable memory, it's not that big a problem with new 2048mbit games.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well did you mean a gigabyte of a gigabit? cause there is a difference.

Oh, I'm sure it's gigabit, which means 256megs. Watch it be something like it will trim to 135megs or something, LOL.

Nintendo always did say that if games required more than 128megs (1gigabit) they would make a bigger cart for it.

I wonder how big they could go before they hit the DS's limit on cart size. Technically, since it only reads 4megs at a time max, it SHOULD be nearly limitless as to how much data they could stuff on a cart.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Well did you mean a gigabyte of a gigabit? cause there is a difference.

Technically, since it only reads 4megs at a time max, it SHOULD be nearly limitless as to how much data they could stuff on a cart.

I think you're confused. Reading from the card not locked to a maximum value.

Communication with Cartridge ROM relies on sending 8 byte commands to the cartridge, after the sending the command, a data stream can be received from the cartridge (the length of the data stream isn't fixed, below descriptions show the default length in brackets, but one may receive more, or less bytes, if desired).

The DS RAM is 4MB, but you can stream as much data as you like.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
More content can be awesome. It's good to know developers aren't just restricted to 1 Gbit (not that i thought they would be anyway).

Of course as Rayder said it is likely that the game will be significantly trimmable.

I seriously doubt we will see a 4Gbit cart within the next 2 years. I just don't believe developers would need such space. The game with have to be of an epic length or more likely have a very large content.

khan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pakistan
People who have not been keeping up with the news lately should know that this game will have alot of CG movies. 2Gigabit could also be because they are using pre-rendered stuff.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
TeraS might I suggest you read up on a technique called bankswitching: the GBA "limit" is 256Mbit (32Mbyte) but we all know how that went.

More space = more content, perhaps (and it would be nice) but experience says more space = more FMV (and not even more sounds which would be useful). Compare ports of PS1 games to the 64 and dual release PS1 - PS2 titles.

Roms will still have junk added to the end so a 2GBit rom will most likely end up being 1.5 GBit or so. Relinking stuff is also entirely possible.

None the less interesting development if it is the case.

jeklnoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't think any official GBA games ever used bankswitching. (only flashcarts)

For DS games, from the specs I am reading it looks like the limits are:
max 61440 files per ROM
max 4096 directories per ROM
max 4GBytes total size (32Gbits)

At the current rate, it seems unlikely that they'll hit this limit before the end of DS's life. (roughly 2.5 years to reach 2Gbit? even if it doubles every year, that's still 4 more years, I'm sure there will be a DS2 or something by then)

But, due to the design of DS carts (which are not memory-mapped like GBA carts), it's theoretically possible they could design future carts with different specifications, that could allow even larger sizes, without needing any kind of hack like bankswitching.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some speculate that the "undumpable" video titles are in fact using some form of bankswitching although I agree as far as I know for certain there are none.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/5eLWoy0fFkc?si=1vvQ_2zAUlF1ThoD