• Start date
  • Views 6,084
  • Replies 16
  • Likes 2
D

Deleted User

OP
Hi folks,

Decided to port over my game of checkers from my Data Structures in C class last semester. Keep in mind I just left my freshman year at college, so this is pretty amateur work. Hopefully some people can at least use it as an example for 2D arrays and Linked Lists in C. 2 Player only, have to pass the 3DS back and forth, since no AI was implemented.

https://github.com/UnsureSherlock/checkers3ds

BufferOverflow

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
mbware.bplaced.net
XP
Country
Germany
Today I tested your homebrew. I looks nice, like chess. It looks also complicated, a little introductions would be cool. By chance, my screen is accidentally closed, then both screens were black, that's a bug. Keep working, awesome homebrew.

Ur6g5rL.jpg

Rinnegatamante

Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
Today I tested your homebrew. I looks nice, like chess. It looks also complicated, a little introductions would be cool. By chance, my screen is accidentally closed, then both screens were black, that's a bug. Keep working, awesome homebrew.

Ur6g5rL.jpg

Checkers is a popular table game, so what introductiondo you need? Maybe you intend controls?

BufferOverflow

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
mbware.bplaced.net
XP
Country
Germany
Checkers is a popular table game, so what introductiondo you need? Maybe you intend controls?
Im sorry, I googled Checkers and its "Dame" in german. ^^ I'm sure I know its game. #language_conflicts

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It crashes on my old 3DS XL with firmware 9.9.0-26E and ironhax
Try Ninjhax, this worked for me.

Spong92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi folks,

Decided to port over my game of checkers from my Data Structures in C class last semester. Keep in mind I just left my freshman year at college, so this is pretty amateur work. Hopefully some people can at least use it as an example for 2D arrays and Linked Lists in C. 2 Player only, have to pass the 3DS back and forth, since no AI was implemented.

https://github.com/UnsureSherlock/checkers3ds

Looks decent! We did battleships in our data structures module haha. There's loads of board games that fit the ascii module!

D

Deleted User

OP
Looks decent! We did battleships in our data structures module haha. There's loads of board games that fit the ascii module!
I was thinking of doing battleships for my next little project, did you do your work in C?

D

Deleted User

OP
No I did it using C# at the time. Wouldn't mind picking up C though, part of my course involved programming shaders in C++ so hopefully it won't be to difficult :D.
The best way to think about C is that it's C++, except if you removed all the premade libraries that make things comfortable. It's kind of like riding a bicycle without a seat.

Didn't even think of that! I only have a 2DS, so haven't even thought about what closing the lid will do.

Pikasack

What is a title
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The best way to think about C is that it's C++, except if you removed all the premade libraries that make things comfortable. It's kind of like riding a bicycle without a seat.

Didn't even think of that! I only have a 2DS, so haven't even thought about what closing the lid will do.

Using the sleep switch is the same as closing the lid on a 2ds.
And as to homebrew with sleep mode, homebrew usually almost always crashes when you enter sleep mode, so don't do it! :teach:

D

Deleted User

OP
Using the sleep switch is the same as closing the lid on a 2ds.
And as to homebrew with sleep mode, homebrew usually almost always crashes when you enter sleep mode, so don't do it! :teach:
But some homebrew does work with sleep, as I've noticed blargsnes doesn't seem to have an issue (as far as I've seen). Just another thing I'll have to learn by example!

Rinnegatamante

Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
Im sorry, I googled Checkers and its "Dame" in german. ^^ I'm sure I know its game. #language_conflicts

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Try Ninjhax, this worked for me.

Also in Italy it is called "Dama" but i just searched on Google for Checkers word and i understood what it is (also is simple to understand what game it is watching the screenshot).

Ekaitz

Redhead Believer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes, in France we call that "Dames" but it isn't exactly the same game. (we play with a 10x10 board whereas Checkers is a 8x8 board)

But well, it's quite easy to understand.
I'll give it a try. It is a nice idea, but it would be better if someone left ASCII to create a real "graphic" board.

I'm sure that it can be really interesting with different variants of the game (International/French one with 10x10 board and English draughts with 8x8 for example). And an AI would be nice too.

It's exactly the kind of homebrew become really interesting because it is a simple idea and it is possible to end the project! (I remember the NDS period with a lot of homebrews and well... 90% were demos... And didn't get past that demo state)

D

Deleted User

OP
Yes, in France we call that "Dames" but it isn't exactly the same game. (we play with a 10x10 board whereas Checkers is a 8x8 board)

But well, it's quite easy to understand.
I'll give it a try. It is a nice idea, but it would be better if someone left ASCII to create a real "graphic" board.

I'm sure that it can be really interesting with different variants of the game (International/French one with 10x10 board and English draughts with 8x8 for example). And an AI would be nice too.

It's exactly the kind of homebrew become really interesting because it is a simple idea and it is possible to end the project! (I remember the NDS period with a lot of homebrews and well... 90% were demos... And didn't get past that demo state)
Rest assured I'm still working on this. With the release of a few homebrew graphics libraries recently, I intend on replacing the ASCII art in the near future. My first objective is to fix the "checklegal" function as it was written by a lab partner who didn't seem to know what he was doing. It's causing all sorts of bugs, like where x's can move wherever sometimes, and Kings of both players aren't movable.

D

Deleted User

OP
Still working on getting the graphics up and running on this. Turns out if you have to have your entire nail on your left ring finger removed it fucks up your work flow a bit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: