Hacking Arm9loaderhax vs Menuhax Coldboot Comparison

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how about comparing the process to setup menuhax and the process for arm9loaderhax ?
Well, theoretically, if you start from 9.3-10.3 (most people probably do), it's probably the same, in terms of risk. Since you'll need to downgrade anyways. By that point, why not just for for A9LH?

If you're already on menuhax though and you don't find any appeal to A9LH, then don't do it.

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
how about comparing the process to setup menuhax and the process for arm9loaderhax ?
The latest setup for Arm9loaderhax I did took 4 hours and used up 60GB of space on my computer for backups, as opposed to 5 minutes and 200MB for Menuhax. Menuhax is definitely more user-friendly and lower risk. I'd say it would be good enough for your everyday homebrew/CFW user.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, theoretically, if you start from 9.3-10.3 (most people probably do), it's probably the same, in terms of risk. Since you'll need to downgrade anyways. By that point, why not just for for A9LH?

If you're already on menuhax though and you don't find any appeal to A9LH, then don't do it.
Hold up, is downgrading to 2.1 (Or whatever it is) anymore risky than going from 10.3 to 9.2 (Which I did)

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hold up, is downgrading to 2.1 (Or whatever it is) anymore risky than going from 10.3 to 9.2 (Which I did)
I'd say it holds the same level of risk, especially on the o3DS.

For the n3DS, if you follow the guide carefully, i'd say the risk is still very low.

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the current method, I think less risky. With memchunkhax2, we had to use the unstable, holy sh*t I think it just crashed sysupdater (which may have improved, not sure), but with 9.2 to 2.1, we're using D9 which, in my opinion, is more stable and reliable. I've seen far less reports of bricking from it then sysupdater. Of curse the downside of this process is that there are more ways to get bricked (I think three?) compared to the one from 10.3 to 9.2.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With the current method, I think less risky. With memchunkhax2, we had to use the unstable, holy sh*t I think it just crashed sysupdater (which may have improved, not sure), but with 9.2 to 2.1, we're using D9 which, in my opinion, is more stable and reliable. I've seen far less reports of bricking from it then sysupdater. Of curse the downside of this process is that there are more ways to get bricked (I think three?) compared to the one from 10.3 to 9.2.
Well considering I downgraded to 9.2 perfectly fine with the original 'holy sh*t I think it just crashed sysupdater' it should be okay.
Does this thing autoboot into rxTools? If it only uses this Reinand thingy which i've never heard of then it's not really worth it.

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well considering I downgraded to 9.2 perfectly fine with the original 'holy sh*t I think it just crashed sysupdater' it should be okay.
Does this thing autoboot into rxTools? If it only uses this Reinand thingy which i've never heard of then it's not really worth it.
(Au)ReiNAND>RxTools.

Anyways, apparently there's some early test builds of rxTools that work with A9LH, but you know.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
(Au)ReiNAND>RxTools.

Anyways, apparently there's some early test builds of rxTools that work with A9LH, but you know.
How is it better? If it really is better than I might want to switch over, but I was told rxTools was the best to use. Hence why I used it.
This Arm9loaderhax thing is new to me, I just got rxTools after downgrading and settled down with it lol.

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is it better? If it really is better than I might want to switch over, but I was told rxTools was the best to use. Hence why I used it.
This Arm9loaderhax thing is new to me, I just got rxTools after downgrading and settled down with it lol.
RxTools uses the 9.6 FIRM, which is old.

(Au)ReiNAND supports both the 10.2 FIRM and 10.4 FIRM. (Au)ReiNAND is also much better than RxTools on the n3DS.
AuReiNAND blocks FIRM0/FIRM1 so you can safely update sysNAND without it removing A9LH.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
RxTools uses the 9.6 FIRM, which is old.

(Au)ReiNAND supports both the 10.2 FIRM and 10.4 FIRM. (Au)ReiNAND is also much better than RxTools on the n3DS.
AuReiNAND blocks FIRM0/FIRM1 so you can safely update sysNAND without it removing A9LH.
Ah but I use o3ds so.. yeah.
So you can run AuReiNAND on a latest sysnand? That seems a bit.. unbelievable. Also is it possible to downgrade back again?

Basically i don't think all this stuff is worth it to save like 10-20 seconds everytime you boot.

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah but I use o3ds so.. yeah.
So you can run AuReiNAND on a latest sysnand? That seems a bit.. unbelievable. Also is it possible to downgrade back again?

Basically i don't think all this stuff is worth it to save like 10-20 seconds everytime you boot.
Yes: https://gbatemp.net/threads/aureinand-n3ds-o3ds-a9lh.411110/

With AuReiNAND and A9LH you can update sysNAND to 10.6 no problem. You obviously cannot do this without A9LH. A9LH also allows you to run Decrypt9 before your 3DS (technically) boots, meaning in most cases you can save your 3DS from a brick even without a hardmod.

If you do want to switch your NANDs around, follow this guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-swap-sysnand-and-emunand-arm9loaderhax-only.415724/

Reactions: Seriel

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Mhmm.. this looks very promising.
As long as I don't get bricked, I think i'l switch to AuReinand then get that weird otp thingy and then install arm9loaderhax and swap teh nands.
My only concern with this is that I won't have a safety net like sysnand was before.

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
As long as I don't get bricked, I think i'l switch to AuReinand then get that weird otp thingy and then install arm9loaderhax and swap teh nands.
My only concern with this is that I won't have a safety net like sysnand was before.
By default, AuReiNAND uses emuNAND but still keeps sysNAND accessible so you can still use it as a safety backup. Not sure about NAND-swapping though...

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you're not forced to use sysNAND as your main NAND, it's only if you want to. I chose to update my sysNAND to 10.6, but you can still continue using your emuNAND.

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol you're one person out of many. You can't say it'll be ok just because you were able to do it (not trying to start a war, just trying to remind you other people have bricked). And yeah good luck with getting your OTP, it's basically the new generation of the master race. :P

Reactions: Seriel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It would be funny to pick up a girl in a real expensive car, then next date show up in a piece o shit car just to see her reaction. If she was real, it wouldn't matter.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Everyone is disposable and replaceable, lies and deception are the coin of the realm. I have never felt so alone and so at odds with the world.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't think we should see others as disposable just if they can show any glimps of care about humanity should be forgiven
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, she would leave you inmediately
    +1
    For a time I considered creating a new big bang. Wipe the slate clean and start from scratch....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your closest friend probably talks negative about you the most
    +1
    I know I talk shit about that Ken guy constantly lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah I just had to consile it's a age thing and I can get erect
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Right.. Take a number
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Binkinator is still around you guys. I just saw him in one of the Discord servers that I'm in.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People get more mad when they learn you aren't as dimwitted as they think
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, that guy who was dissappeared?
    My favorite thing about that Ken, if they talk bad about others to you. They doing it to you too.
    Always remember that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    More or less then they drop you and blame you when you find out
    Well taking responsibility for their own actions would mean doing work and self reflection lol easier to just be a pile of crap rolling down hill
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dont mean to be rude but what was so important about them?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, He truly shared his great knowledge about Switch modding.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    People miss him because he used to be active a lot.
    +1
    I modified a switch in a bathroom one time by wiping poop on it... Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Been noticing it more these days alot has to do with coperation attitude manipulation people work in it so long they think it's a good way to live
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And he/she used to do any/every mod to the Switch, just to learn and teach others as well. A true Switch genius.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: And he/she used to do any/every mod to the Switch, just to learn and teach others as well. A...