Homebrew ARM9Loader -- Technical Details and Discussion

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Another CFW?

I'm not the only one who thinks the 3DS already has a lot of CFW, right? :P I mean, they all do the same thing. Sure some CFW have some different features compared to others, but (especially for A9LH) they're all the same really.

While that's true, it's nice to see how people solve the same problems/tasks; there are usually multiple ways to program a solution, some being much cleaner/stabler than others.

Ekaitz

Redhead Believer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Another CFW?

I'm not the only one who thinks the 3DS already has a lot of CFW, right? :P I mean, they all do the same thing. Sure some CFW have some different features compared to others, but (especially for A9LH) they're all the same really.

They act the same way for signature patching yes, but some might act differently, boots faster, be more reliable, whatever else.
And it always good to have the choice. And if one CFW is doing better than others, everyone can look at the code and enhance other CFW. It's good to have multiple "possibilities" to do the same thing.

We can also have some hope for new features... Region free maybe? Or a cheat engine such as in NTR/Gateway without launching NTR. Or even using the n3DS clock speed with all games...

I don't know but I think that each CFW may be appreciated by different kinds of users.

Reactions: Gray_Jack

naivegirl2411

Trophies
XP
Country
So I finally joined the arm9lh aureinand master race but the last steps dont seem to work. I didnt get a stage0x5C000.bin file (possibly because I didnt update my arm9lh) and I cant boot decrypt9 using L+R (also possibly because I didnt update my arm9lh). Anybody know what went wrong?

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They act the same way for signature patching yes, but some might act differently, boots faster, be more reliable, whatever else.
And it always good to have the choice. And if one CFW is doing better than others, everyone can look at the code and enhance other CFW. It's good to have multiple "possibilities" to do the same thing.

We can also have some hope for new features... Region free maybe? Or a cheat engine such as in NTR/Gateway without launching NTR. Or even using the n3DS clock speed with all games...

I don't know but I think that each CFW may be appreciated by different kinds of users.
iirc, didn't RxTools have to sacrifice some stuff for it to run on A9LH?

Also, I talked to someone who's currently working on a CFW about NTR or forcing everything to run at 804Mhz. He told me it would cause some issues later on, which is why he won't add that in.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So I finally joined the arm9lh aureinand master race but the last steps dont seem to work. I didnt get a stage0x5C000.bin file (possibly because I didnt update my arm9lh) and I cant boot decrypt9 using L+R (also possibly because I didnt update my arm9lh). Anybody know what went wrong?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/arm9loader-technical-details-and-discussion.408537/page-121#post-6113616

Ekaitz

Redhead Believer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Also, I talked to someone who's currently working on a CFW about NTR or forcing everything to run at 804Mhz. He told me it would cause some issues later on, which is why he won't add that in.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/arm9loader-technical-details-and-discussion.408537/page-121#post-6113616

RxTools still doesn't work on N3DS atm.
About this CFW with a kind of NTR built-in, NTR allows us to have an in game menu. It would be create if that kind of thing was built-in inside a CFW. (with the possibility to launch a game with faster clock speed.

Those are just ideas, I don't know if it possible or not, I don't have coding knowledge, but I still think it would be great. :P

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
While that's true, it's nice to see how people solve the same problems/tasks; there are usually multiple ways to program a solution, some being much cleaner/stabler than others.
And they each have their own advantages over one another. Cakes is arguably the most customizable, letting you pick and choose which patches you want at boot (and there's also dhs), (Au)ReiNand is plug n play and has easily changed splashscreens, plus Rei's smart patching system (and AuReiNand was also the first to support the FIRM write protect patch), rxTools has a pretty cool name I guess, r3tools makes a fairly nice extension to Decrypt9. I haven't checked out AHPCFW much, but I'm told that there was a previous version of it that had some pretty nifty features.

Reactions: daxtsu

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About this CFW with a kind of NTR built-in, NTR allows us to have an in game menu. It would be create if that kind of thing was built-in inside a CFW. (with the possibility to launch a game with faster clock speed.

Those are just ideas, I don't know if it possible or not, I don't have coding knowledge, but I still think it would be great. :P
Aurora stated it's possible, she just wants/needs to learn more about Arm11 first.

As for what I said about that other person:
Heh, I don't like doing that, forcing everything to the maximum can (and will) cause problems. Also, every time you boot a title you'd need to patch the module that checks headers, quite complicated. You can still create custom .cia patches that modify the header of a specific game to get it going with full resources.
I don't know if they wish to stay unnamed for now, so, better safe than sorry I suppose.

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country

That'd be possible, just requires ARM11 patching. mid-kid's been working at it on and off, I think Aurora is looking into it. bilis and mid-kid have also thought about adding a GUI for dhs, similar to NTR, with HID and GPU access added with the most recent commit, though they haven't yet figured out how to effectively 'unfreeze' the console when doing something from the menu (like installing a .cia).

naivegirl2411

Trophies
XP
Country

Thanks Supster131. I updated my arm9lh to stage 2 but I still cant get decrypt9 working, I have the decrypt9WIP folder in /3ds and all the slotkey files on the root

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Supster131. I updated my arm9lh to stage 2 but I still cant get decrypt9 working, I have the decrypt9WIP folder in /3ds and all the slotkey files on the root
Did you download the latest Decrypt9WIP, rename Decrypt9WIP.bin to arm9payload.bin, and place it in the /rei/ folder?

Try booting your 3DS with L+R after that.

Reactions: naivegirl2411

naivegirl2411

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a question regarding how cias are installed when you have arm9lh. Before arm9lh I read up on where cias get installed when youre using a cia manager and how selecting nand/sd (on FBI for instance) has different outcomes depending on when youre on emunand/sysnand. I also know that when you have unlinked nands you have 2 (or more) folders in your /nintendo3ds folder with jumbled text+numbers and one named Private. This is a bit confusing to me so id like to know if anyone can explain some things for me:

1) Where do cias get installed when using FBI and selecting nand/sd on arm9lh?
2) When I created my emunand I had 2 folders with jumbled text, after setting up arm9lh I now have 3 folders with only one matching my pre-emunand folder and one folder named Private. Is it safe to delete the 2 folders that didnt match my pre-emunand set up or are they necessary for arm9lh?
3) I know that it is impossible to brick with arm9lh because you can use decrypt9 to restore your 3ds but are there still some rules regarding cia installation to prevent messing up my system?

Ekaitz

Redhead Believer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have a question regarding how cias are installed when you have arm9lh. Before arm9lh I read up on where cias get installed when youre using a cia manager and how selecting nand/sd (on FBI for instance) has different outcomes depending on when youre on emunand/sysnand. I also know that when you have unlinked nands you have 2 (or more) folders in your /nintendo3ds folder with jumbled text+numbers and one named Private. This is a bit confusing to me so id like to know if anyone can explain some things for me:

1) Where do cias get installed when using FBI and selecting nand/sd on arm9lh?
2) When I created my emunand I had 2 folders with jumbled text, after setting up arm9lh I now have 3 folders with only one matching my pre-emunand folder and one folder named Private. Is it safe to delete the 2 folders that didnt match my pre-emunand set up or are they necessary for arm9lh?
3) I know that it is impossible to brick with arm9lh because you can use decrypt9 to restore your 3ds but are there still some rules regarding cia installation to prevent messing up my system?

1) SD: To SD card, Nintendo 3DS folder.
NAND: Don't do that, you don't want to install CIA into your 3DS NAND EXCEPT if those are some kind of (patched) system titles. (AGB_FIRM for example)
2) I guess it is. Strange that you've got those new folders. My suggestion here: Copy it on your computer and delete the folders from the 3DS. If it still act as usual, you're good to go. Otherwise, just copy-back the folders.
3) Just keep a system backup. Avoid installing shitty things to NAND. You can't break anything if you install to SD.

naivegirl2411

Trophies
XP
Country
1) SD: To SD card, Nintendo 3DS folder.
NAND: Don't do that, you don't want to install CIA into your 3DS NAND EXCEPT if those are some kind of (patched) system titles. (AGB_FIRM for example)
2) I guess it is. Strange that you've got those new folders. My suggestion here: Copy it on your computer and delete the folders from the 3DS. If it still act as usual, you're good to go. Otherwise, just copy-back the folders.
3) Just keep a system backup. Avoid installing shitty things to NAND. You can't break anything if you install to SD.

Thanks Ekaitz, this was really helpful. One more question, would accessing eshop still delete unsigned cia titles/dlc if you are using updated sysnand+ aureinand without emunand? Or does arm9lh CFW prevent these files from being deleted from sd

fr3quency

Trophies
Website
fr3quency.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Greece
Thanks Ekaitz, this was really helpful. One more question, would accessing eshop still delete unsigned cia titles/dlc if you are using updated sysnand+ aureinand without emunand? Or does arm9lh CFW prevent these files from being deleted from sd
Eshop doesn't delete Game .CIAs but it can delete DLC .CIAs. It didn't delete my SSBB DLC, but it might be due to tickets. Someone might shed more light into this matter hopefully.

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Eshop doesn't delete Game .CIAs but it can delete DLC .CIAs. It didn't delete my SSBB DLC, but it might be due to tickets. Someone might shed more light into this matter hopefully.
it could delete them if there is a legit cia(for example a bought eshop game) und this game got transfered to an other device. Dlc is only deleted, if you own at least one for the game, then it will fix the ticket, to your bought state.
cias that are created without any 3ds unique informations(in funky cia I think it was the p flag to keep them) will not be deleted from the shop, only think that could happen, is that the shop replaces the ticket with a legit one, if you own this game already.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87...