Hacking ARGH! Which one to choose?

Salamantis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello to everyone!

I've been trying to find a modchip for me and found so many, all with their ups and downs, and came to my fellow Tempers to ask for help.

I have a NTSC Wii, probably with a GC2 - DMS chipset (LU505XXXXXX)
I want mostly to play NTSC games, maybe some or not even at all PAL or NTSC-J games because of all the risks of bricking, etc etc
And I want all the other features that all the good modchips have. But I don't want a Wiikey because of the damned customer service and the "update".

Please help me choose. Thanks!

Salamantis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And how do I make my own??? I live in Canada, not sure I'll find the parts, and I'm 13, not sure I have the experience to do that. But my dad said he'd solder me a chip, so maybe he would have enough experience with that.

And If I make my own, how could I be able to make updates and stuff, let alone making it WORK.

Thanks for the quick reply!

And what's a PCB?

Farami9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I dont think anyone going to tell you that.......

good luck

I'd wait for new mods, the wii sucs atm...

RobertsD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

nycwii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
making your own cost little to nothing about i belive 4 dollars for the set. If you are not sure about building your own i will happy suggest the Wiikey modchip. So far it us the best chip out on the market, and i personally use it
ph34r.gif

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
get the wiinja deluxe, it includes working audiofix for gc games, works on all 3 chipsets, and already has an update released
biggrin.gif

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
why? Wiinja Delux seems better to me.
why ur choosing openWii or WiiFree?
there is ALREADY an update for Wiinja dlx and thats looks promising.

RobertsD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could someone compare Wiikey and Wiinja Delux?

Wiikey comes on a PCB, Wiinja Delux doesn't.

Wiinja Delux has no problems playing Gamecube games that have streaming audio(original or burned), Wiikey does have those problems.

Other then that, They basically do the same thing.

Should I use OpenWii or WiiFree? At first glance, WiiFree looks better.
I haven't used Wiifree, but I really like Openwii on the ATMEGA8 chip. It has all the features of the others(I think), plus DVD update.

gotrice864

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wiikey is the best, absolutely no problems with wii backups or wii originals. If you are going to solder it yourself, you better have PLENTY of experience. The solder points are 1/8 the size of your thumbnail (probably smaller).

Don't get wiinja delux, it has problems with some wii games.

Salamantis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, thanks everyone for your help.

I think I'll go with an open-source chip, probably the ATMEGA8 + OpenWii. I don,t want to use normal chips like the Wiikey and pals, because they are not reprogrammable and they "die" (as in the company).

Now, onto another question. Where can I get the chip and all the instructions? And also, If I have an ATMEGA8 chip, can I use WiiFree on it? Or do I need one of those PICs?

Thanks again!

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
You can play plenty of GC games on it, just not those that need the audio fix (about 50 or so games).

RobertsD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, thanks everyone for your help.

I think I'll go with an open-source chip, probably the ATMEGA8 + OpenWii. I don,t want to use normal chips like the Wiikey and pals, because they are not reprogrammable and they "die" (as in the company).

Now, onto another question. Where can I get the chip and all the instructions? And also, If I have an ATMEGA8 chip, can I use WiiFree on it? Or do I need one of those PICs?

Thanks again!
All the instructions on how to build the programmer and how to flash the chip are on the chiip site that I linked to.

gov78

Ha made you Look
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the best thing to do is wait for better chips all chip atm are really making the scene look like its going no where so id just wait for a better chip or different method to playing backups

robi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
It doesn't help when you want a solution *now*. I knew that better modchips would come out one day, and when that day comes, I'll get it. I might not even need to remove my wiikey theoretically.

Anyway, I wouldn't get the wiikey -- it works great for me but I'm pretty disappointed at the team's lack of communication and you shouldn't reward people like that.

open source mods are your best bet, I'm even considering replacing my wiikey because I like the idea of a supported platform with new innovations coming along.

good learning experience too

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, prove it