Gaming Are you fed up with the wii getting console ports?

Are you fed up with the wii getting console ports?

• Yes, I want some original releases

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, the good games will be here soon

• I like playing the old console ports

• I don't own a wii

• Total voters

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm fed up with the wii getting old console ports from the PS2, Xbox 1, Gamecube and even the DS. Thought I'd make a little poll to see who felt the same.

spokenrope

c7
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When bad Wii games come out, I just don't play them. I have other things that I can do with my time.

That's not to say, however, that console ports are always bad or a bad idea. I've been loving RE4 for the last couple of days. I never played it on the GC because I didn't like the controls, so I love the fact that it got ported.

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
you are aware that the big three nintendo games due are sequels and not original IPs, so your definition of "Yes, I want some original releases" needs clarification. I'm fed up of sequels and ports on the Wii

Taras

I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Actually my favorite Wii game is a port - Godfather: Blackhand edition.

But most of the ports do suck, but it's to be expected with a new console. Especially since the 3rd part developers except Ubisoft had written off the Wii before it launched and now they're scrambling for content.

We'll get better games in a minute.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No and I think it's pretty damn stupid to be complaining about it. Go look at the N64 and GC. They got very few ports at all, and that very lack of 3rd party support didn't help them get a lot of sales.

Ports help get you more original 3rd party stuff as it adds to their budget. More 3rd party stuff means more hardware sold, and more hardware sold means a larger fanbase which gets you a longer lifespan on a system with a hell of a lot more titles to choose from.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There were a fair few games that didn't come to the cube in its later life and this could be a chance to play them.
Other games do work well ported to the Wii such as (IMO) Trauma Center.

So long as the devs are still working on new titles it really doesn't matter.
They really should be games that Nintendo owners didn't get a chance to play before or games that would work really well being ported (Metroid Prime 1&2 anyone?).
If possible graphical improvements should be made.

Ports are usually within the same generation, but have been known to go across. Since last generation there have been a fair few and some that no one has complained about, like MGS: TS on the cube.

cheapassdave

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
some ports i like because first of all i never owned a non-nintendo console so i rarely play any other console and second the ported games would probably play differently due to the control schemes.

MADKATZ99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I casted my vote in "I dont have a wii"... I thouhgt it sounded funny
biggrin.gif

I dont care if its a port or not, I never had an Xbox, ps2, cube, so I missed a generation, all the ports are new to me anyway.

port excitebike 64 and ill be happy
smile.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At first I was annoyed by the barrage of PSP/PS2 ports but now I don't mind, every port that gets released just means even more games for the Wii library.

If it weren't for them we would have even less games than usual.

SlyGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No and I think it's pretty damn stupid to be complaining about it. Go look at the N64 and GC. They got very few ports at all, and that very lack of 3rd party support didn't help them get a lot of sales.

Ports help get you more original 3rd party stuff as it adds to their budget. More 3rd party stuff means more hardware sold, and more hardware sold means a larger fanbase which gets you a longer lifespan on a system with a hell of a lot more titles to choose from.
Interesting perspective. I hope you're right!

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well thanks for saying so. My angle really was based off my time working in the game ind both at a 3rd party dev'r and then aftewards 2 years in media combined with just the obvious nature of how PSX did its thing a decade ago and PS2 since then. Volume = win. Undoubtedly most the PSX and pS2 games are trash, but...the volume of it allowed to make it look like it had more going for it regardless due to numbers AND those crap titles made budgets for the non-crap stuff us more picky types want...the oh so nice gravy.

Your trade off ends up being the N64 scenario...a quality game release every 2-3mo on average and then around that maybe 1-5games of meh a month around it. Vastly less stuff, but they did have the higher percentage of non-crap titles, but only due to having a lot less on the shelf. THe PS3 really is the N64 of this dev cycle as like N64 it cost the most to make a title, took the most work to make one period, and the costs of burning/sending to store the final bits cost the most too. In turn all this with each example someone can cite going back shows the same basic trend... volume=better larger library in surface perspective, and this sadly is mostly what a casual nitwit will observe doing no/nearly no research.

SO hey if the Wii gets like 10games a month and 7 of them are ports and the other 3 are inspired...we win. You get a decent selection to pick from each month, and the other ported/babyish/piss poorly done crap the nitwits will buy to put $ in 3rd party pockets allowing the door to stay open for the gold.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
the ports are actually a pretty good idea.

The developers have these finished games sitting there, then they can just port them to the wii, and spend more time focusing on the Wii controls than they would have if the game was being developed for the Wii initially.

and it's not like the ports are making any original games not get made

freed_y

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
i like 'good' port games,

but i still hope more game really suitable only for Wii, like EBA or Ouendan on DS....

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i can't stand ports, but i don't care much if i am not paying from them
biggrin.gif
sometimes the ports are good because you get the choice of playing the game with Wii controls tacked on for fun and i can discard the ps2 version completely, so it's not all bad i guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://youtu.be/heNQ-22Mqnk?si=B4bTa9MKZkRNCkxU