Hacking Are we allowed to create a bounty thread for 9.2.0 CFW?

sniffy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You really didn't understand, lol. GW offers the free alternative themselves. You don't buy their launcher.dat, you buy their flashcart (if you want to, which is obviously not the case). Please read through the forums to understand how the Gateway launcher works and then we can talk on. Otherwise you are just plain wrong with your statements, probably due to your lack of knowledge. I'm defending them for not being the leeches you call them. You should at least try to understand my perspective. And why should I be a bleeding heart about devs if my intention is to buy a good game, even though I have a "piracy device" (which a GW flashcart seems to be to you). I know people (myself included) who know the value of games and buy those that are made with passion. For me the Gateway flashcart is just a protection from bad games that are not worth my money. On a side note I'd like to state that I don't own a PS4 for a reason. So if I still buy the quality games (and Nintendo has to offer a lot of them as they care for their customers), my money will still go where it would have gone if I didn't own a Gateway flashcart
Reggie Fils-Aime once said that the best piracy protection is making a quality game that people want to put on their shelves. I'm sure I'm not the only one living what he said.
What makes you think that the loss of Nintendo will be that huge? What about people who never intended to spend money on a 3DS at all, because it would have been too expensive for them. Not everyone has infinite money to spend. On the other hand some GW users even invested in multiple 3DS consoles for Gateway. Some only play games that they wouldn't have bought in the first place.
If people spend the same amount they would have spent without the flashcart, but gain a few more capabilities, that won't make a difference for the market, right?

So, before you consider answering this post (or take it apart and out of context like the last time) I advise you to acknowledge the basics of GW 3.0.1 Ultra. Like I said before, you might find out that you can do lots of stuff without buying anything.

This is a very valid point. I hope it won't get lost.

You misunderstand me, which is fair enough cause I haven't actually said anything about my intentions.

I don't care about piracy and I'm not judging you on how you use GW. I'm also aware of how the GW launcher works and what is and isn't possible without the GW cart. The only reason I posted in this thread was because somebody suggested CFW is bad because we owe Gateway for advancing the scene. The suggestion that shutting Gateway out is bad because that would be a bad way to thank them was funny to me. If we can do everything Gateway does for free, who cares about Gateway? They've made a living off of stealing money from legitimate developers, they're crooks.

That was all I was saying.

And the person that 'agreed' with had nothing to add either. He dropped in to bag some folks out and off he went, trolling's a strong word for it, perhaps baiting's more fitting here.

Yeah so because I have something contrary to say, I am baiting. I've lurked for a long time, I guess I missed the hivemind memo.

You replied to him with some seriously left of field point about homelessness and then quickly became rude when I and that other person pointed out it made no sense. What have YOU added to the discussion?

D

Deleted User

You misunderstand me, which is fair enough cause I haven't actually said anything about my intentions.

I don't care about piracy and I'm not judging you on how you use GW. I'm also aware of how the GW launcher works and what is and isn't possible without the GW cart. The only reason I posted in this thread was because somebody suggested CFW is bad because we owe Gateway for advancing the scene. The suggestion that shutting Gateway out is bad because that would be a bad way to thank them was funny to me. If we can do everything Gateway does for free, who cares about Gateway? They've made a living off of stealing money from legitimate developers, they're crooks.

That was all I was saying.

We need Gateway to innovate the 3DS scene, it's as simple as that. Who's gonna do all the work otherwise?

slowmotioning

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not just setup a group buy for Gateway flashcarts instead? You could receive them at a discounted price. Seems way more likely than getting this to happen.

Not sure why you want to "keep money out of Gateway's hands" but put money into someone else's who would also be enabling piracy on a large scale, larger than Gateway. There's way too much moral hypocrisy when it comes to piracy, and it's running rampant in this thread.

TidusWulf

Real Aloha
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all I wanted was to provide some motivation for someone to make/release CFW on 9.2.0, and now a whole bunch of people are flipping out in every possible way. People keep saying "competition, innovation, gateway is all we have, etc." CFW is competition and innovation, so be excited about it. If a dev releases 9.2.0 CFW and stops supporting it, guess what gateway lovers, gateway's going to shoot right back into the scene and pick up where it left off. And even though Gateway's emuNAND has worked consistently, anyone who has been above sysNAND 4.5 for the last several MONTHS has been left out as well. it was Smea and his team that figured out how to crack the code in 9.2.0, not Gateway. A dev (or group of devs) who aren't asking for any money, and just did it because they love doing that stuff.

To those of you who are willing to pledge money to see this happen, thank you. To everyone else, please direct your negativity elsewhere. It's not welcome here.

satanicangel

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
all I wanted was to provide some motivation for someone to make/release CFW on 9.2.0, and now a whole bunch of people are flipping out in every possible way. People keep saying "competition, innovation, gateway is all we have, etc." CFW is competition and innovation, so be excited about it. If a dev releases 9.2.0 CFW and stops supporting it, guess what gateway lovers, gateway's going to shoot right back into the scene and pick up where it left off. And even though Gateway's emuNAND has worked consistently, anyone who has been above 4.5 for the last several MONTHS has been left out as well. it was Smea and his team that figured out how to crack the code in 9.2.0, not Gateway. A dev (or group of devs) who aren't asking for any money, and just did it because they love doing that stuff.

To those of you who are willing to pledge money to see this happen, thank you. To everyone else, please direct your negativity elsewhere. It's not welcome here.

ya... seems like i forgot Smea released his emunand solution, downgrade option, webkit exploit everything for 9.2. (did I mention the region free using webkit exploit?) Sorry my bad.

To those of you who are willing to dream on, thank you. To everyone else, please live in reality and dream while you are sleeping. It's definitely welcomed here though.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
just like to point out smealum found a way to do one thing on 9.2, gateway figured out something completely different,and much more real world applicable....i.e web browser vs cubic ninja, smealum has even opted to use the GW exploit for the latest region free mod, which would not of been possible on the cubic ninja exploit as you obviously needed cubic ninja in the card slot to load it.....so yeah gateway is pretty much up there on advancements, there would be nothing in terms on 9.x exploits except hombrew without gateway..........not only that, people have brought up several problems with this "fundraiser".....you know get a list of what you want, and make it specific, what do you think devs are mind readers, also you will probably have no chance of a dev just handing over a product with zero assurance that any of you guys will pay, so you can wave goodby to the "give us it and we will see if we want to pay" idea......dev's aren't dumb, if they can make a cfw for money, they arent going to just hand it over for nothing but promises

last time im going to post here anyway, the plan has more holes in it than swiss cheese, and the OP thinks its clever to call anyone that point out these blatant holes trolls or fanboys or other shit because he just wants a free rom loader.....fuck the logistics of it all

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
just like to point out smealum found a way to do one thing on 9.2, gateway figured out something completely different,and much more real world applicable....i.e web browser vs cubic ninja, smealum has even opted to use the GW exploit for the latest region free mod, which would not of been possible on the cubic ninja exploit as you obviously needed cubic ninja in the card slot to load it.....so yeah gateway is pretty much up there on advancements, there would be nothing in terms on 9.x exploits except hombrew without gateway..........not only that, people have brought up several problems with this "fundraiser".....you know get a list of what you want, and make it specific, what do you think devs are mind readers, also you will probably have no chance of a dev just handing over a product with zero assurance that any of you guys will pay, so you can wave goodby to the "give us it and we will see if we want to pay" idea......dev's aren't dumb, if they can make a cfw for money, they arent going to just hand it over for nothing but promises

last time im going to post here anyway, the plan has more holes in it than swiss cheese, and the OP thinks its clever to call anyone that point out these blatant holes trolls or fanboys or other shit because he just wants a free rom loader.....fuck the logistics of it all

Well actually Smea even said himself that gatewait use the same stage 2 as his ninjhax... So, I mean... It's not exactly 'gateway figured out something completely different' they just reapplied something that already existed (as they always have done). They probably got similar emunand procedures back from the wii scene too. There's really not very much innovation going on, so much as just cutting and pasting things and then drawing a smiley face on top and saying it's yours.

williamcesar2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Better idea would probably be to have a trusted middleman, ideally someone with a fairly strong public reputation and maybe who a few members know some IRL details of so that they can't just vanish with the cash. They'd hold the money, then when the program is done othey alone are given a copy at first to verify it works, then they transfer the money to the developer and release the software to the public.

Maybe a Moderator ?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Well actually Smea even said himself that gatewait use the same stage 2 as his ninjhax... So, I mean... It's not exactly 'gateway figured out something completely different' they just reapplied something that already existed (as they always have done). They probably got similar emunand procedures back from the wii scene too. There's really not very much innovation going on, so much as just cutting and pasting things and then drawing a smiley face on top and saying it's yours.
going against my word, but using that logic, smea copied the region free from gateway as he used their stage 1 right?....no, the exploit works in 4 stages.....ssspwn didnt give kernel access, and i find it doubtful that in the time of smea releasing ninjahax sudden stage 2 was all gateway needed and stage 3/4 just created themselves in a matter of a few days, truth is its possible if not probable that gateway already knew the stage 2 exploit and where busy finishing off the later stages when smealum release ninjhax, thus forcing them to announce early to prevent people updating as they knew the stage 2 was going to be patched

...anyways, point being that regardless of if stage 2 was a complete rip off, gateway are the only ones releasing anything new...call it crap if you like, but thats what the OP supposedly wanted, a dev team releasing new and unique stuff

BUT....for all we know maybe gateway bought all the exploits from people to build into the ultra update......truth is gateway has the real money to motivate hackers......which is why i said the most probable outcome of this (apart from a complete failure) is a hacked gateway launcher, gateway would be a more attractive offer for money to independent devs than a bunch of people of a forum saying please "give me rom loader first!....i pwooomise i wil pay yooou"

Reactions: johnbus

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
going against my word, but using that logic, smea copied the region free from gateway as he used their stage 1 right?....no, the exploit works in 4 stages.....ssspwn didnt give kernel access, and i find it doubtful that in the time of smea releasing ninjahax sudden stage 2 was all gateway needed and stage 3/4 just created themselves in a matter of a few days, truth is its possible if not probable that gateway already knew the stage 2 exploit and where busy finishing off the later stages when smealum release ninjhax, thus forcing them to announce early to prevent people updating as they knew the stage 2 was going to be patched

...anyways, point being that regardless of if stage 2 was a complete rip off, gateway are the only ones releasing anything new...call it crap if you like, but thats what the OP supposedly wanted, a dev team releasing new and unique stuff

BUT....for all we know maybe gateway bought all the exploits from people to build into the ultra update......truth is gateway has the real money to motivate hackers......which is why i said the most probable outcome of this (apart from a complete failure) is a hacked gateway launcher, gateway would be a more attractive offer for money to independent devs than a bunch of people of a forum saying please "give me rom loader first!....i pwooomise i wil pay yooou"

You misunderstood, they only have 2-3 stages, all of which we've seen before in some manner. No smea didn't copy the region free, since he technically just used a reworking of his exploit re-fashioned for browser entry (gateway beta which SonyUSA tried was almost a total 1:1 of smea's exploit in the mii plaza). So smea just reworked the rework, so I think you're dreadfully misinformed and have things the wrong way around.

As far as things go on top of that, I think you're actually right about gateway not doing anything for themselves, and they actually contract people into doing their work for them and that's why there's "lots of members all around the world" as it were.

Also, if I take a dump in a toilet, am I doing something new? No, it's something that's positively not new, is it unique? Yes.

That is essentially what gateway are doing.

You can praise them all you wish, but it doesn't make them actually be knights in shining armour or anything. They literally found their entire existence on stealing. And no, they're not Aladdin, they're not giving their apple away for free, they're demanding more for the apple than what it would've cost them to buy it.

Edit* In short, gateway shouldn't even be mentioned outside of itself. (Meaning: If the topic isn't gateway, don't talk about gateway.)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
You misunderstood, they only have 2-3 stages, all of which we've seen before in some manner. No smea didn't copy the region free, since he technically just used a reworking of his exploit re-fashioned for browser entry (gateway beta which SonyUSA tried was almost a total 1:1 of smea's exploit in the mii plaza). So smea just reworked the rework, so I think you're dreadfully misinformed and have things the wrong way around.

As far as things go on top of that, I think you're actually right about gateway not doing anything for themselves, and they actually contract people into doing their work for them and that's why there's "lots of members all around the world" as it were.

Also, if I take a dump in a toilet, am I doing something new? No, it's something that's positively not new, is it unique? Yes.

That is essentially what gateway are doing.

You can praise them all you wish, but it doesn't make them actually be knights in shining armour or anything. They literally found their entire existence on stealing. And no, they're not Aladdin, they're not giving their apple away for free, they're demanding more for the apple than what it would've cost them to buy it.

Edit* In short, gateway shouldn't even be mentioned outside of itself. (Meaning: If the topic isn't gateway, don't talk about gateway.)
smea doesnt have any exploit in mii plaza, he used cubic ninja.....so yeah, sure you hold all the correct info:wacko:, im sure you also have a copy of the exploit sent to sonyusa too to say its 1:1.....right?
smealums own write up on ninjhax....yep 4 stages
http://smealum.net/?p=517

shesh im not saying gateway are lords of the realm , fighters of justice, but this whole thread is wahhh gateway want money......thats wrong.....nobody else will do anything for free....so lets give everyone money, this thread has zero moral high-ground either

infact all i have said is helpful tips for the OP to actually get his rom loader, which is
A) expect a hacked gateway loader
B) dont expect some idiot to just hand over a rom loader without getting paid first

williamcesar2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all I wanted was to provide some motivation for someone to make/release CFW on 9.2.0, and now a whole bunch of people are flipping out in every possible way. People keep saying "competition, innovation, gateway is all we have, etc." CFW is competition and innovation, so be excited about it. If a dev releases 9.2.0 CFW and stops supporting it, guess what gateway lovers, gateway's going to shoot right back into the scene and pick up where it left off. And even though Gateway's emuNAND has worked consistently, anyone who has been above sysNAND 4.5 for the last several MONTHS has been left out as well. it was Smea and his team that figured out how to crack the code in 9.2.0, not Gateway. A dev (or group of devs) who aren't asking for any money, and just did it because they love doing that stuff.

they are worried about my money more than me and where I going to apply it !

D

Deleted User

it was Smea and his team that figured out how to crack the code in 9.2.0, not Gateway.

Well actually Smea even said himself that gatewait use the same stage 2 as his ninjhax... So, I mean... It's not exactly 'gateway figured out something completely different' they just reapplied something that already existed (as they always have done).

Holy shit, do you people always make such assumptions out of your ass?

As a dev that actually understands both ninjhax and gateway go (based on yifan lu's writeup) I can tell you that gateway go 9.x is completely different from ninjhax.

Ninjhax:
- cubic ninja vuln
- gpu dma vuln << only this is similar
- ro vuln

Gateway go 9.x:
- browser vuln
- arm11 kernel vuln
- arm9 vuln

As you can see Gateway go only shares ONE exploit, and it was implemented very differently so most likely these vulnerabilities were found seperately (as it stands, Gateway announced 9.x support before smealum released ninjhax, so they must have known about the GPU DMA vulnerability for a while)

So without Gateway there would not be a browser, arm11 kernel AND arm9 exploit. So don't go telling yourself that it was all smea because then you are just telling yourself and others lies to make your argument look real.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit, do you people always make such assumptions out of your ass?

As a dev that actually understands both ninjhax and gateway go (based on yifan lu's writeup) I can tell you that gateway go 9.x is completely different from ninjhax.

Ninjhax:
- cubic ninja vuln
- ro vuln

Gateway go 9.x:
- browser vuln
- arm11 kernel vuln
- arm9 vuln

As you can see Gateway go only shares ONE exploit, and it was implemented very differently so most likely these vulnerabilities were found seperately (as it stands, Gateway announced 9.x support before smealum released ninjhax, so they must have known about the GPU DMA vulnerability for a while)

So without Gateway there would not be a browser, arm11 kernel AND arm9 exploit. So don't go telling yourself that it was all smea because then you are just telling yourself and others lies to make your argument look real.

Shh...let them fight.

Just reminds me of how someone stated that A Link Between worlds is a remake of the original A Link to the Past.......

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I suggest to open a different thread just to collect bounty entries and leave this one for discussion and bickering. That said, I'd donate 10$ if said "cfw" was open source.

Reactions: omegart

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol 5GB for one episode
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Lol I can watch it free
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, from the shows website?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They should've just made it a movie at 50 minutes
    +1
    No from Paramount Plus or whatever it is
    +1
    Psi now has access to every streaming and cable channel out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eh I'd rather just download and delete is it already up on paramount?
    Yeah it's on now
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why are most new south park episodes half hour specials?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, let me get a Netflix account I've always been nice to you
    +1
    I made a honey pepper glazed turkey breast for dinner turned out pretty bomb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We can Netflix and chill
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Nvm not half hour, but hour long
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Normal south park episodes are already half hour
    Got 2 free Xumo boxes they work pretty good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm happy to get anything most series don't make it pass 6 seasons
    Except Stars and Encore those are being a bitch lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I may consider that onn pro box finally a media box with type A ;O
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, cuz the companies don't want em to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No it's revenue and demand south park could argue has a bigger audience than family guy about the same
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Family guy is worth 300mill south parks worth 1Bill according to the interwebs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, probably cuz family guy is more disliked compared to south park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It just does the same formula south park can press buttons without going overboard
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And bc most of the family guy budget is spent on the voice actors rather than on the animation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Southpark could spend 30k on a animated dick and people would laugh at it
    +2
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Southpark could spend 30k on a animated dick and people would laugh at it +2