Hacking Are there any gamecube emulators for the ps3?

D

Deleted User

The only consoles that can play Gamecube are Nintendo consoles: Wii and Wii U, or Dolphin on PC, or certain tablets that can play Dolphin, or buy a Gamecube. Those are all your options.

Reactions: Aew4life

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It's hasn't been done but anyone saying its impossible is probably talking out of ignorance (it was also impossible to hack a PS3 via software three years ago until we got PSXploit, it was impossible to run GBA games on the NDS via software a year ago until GBARunner2 happened, it was impossible to emulate N64 on the 3DS a year ago but then Daedalus was ported, etc).
People in these forums like to say "impossible" without really studying the viability of a project because it's an easy answer, but almost always an incorect one.

As for Gamecube games on the PS3: I'd say it's completely doable and would produce some really good results if done correctly.
Emulating the CPU would be "simple" as its the same PowerPC arquitecture (same reason why PSP can emulate N64 depite not having nearly any power to do so, they share same CPU architecture so translation is fast). The PS3's CPU has 3.2GHz PowerPC, while the GameCube is at around 400MHz, so there's plenty of room for a PowerPC to PowerPC JIT compiler and then executing the code using the single PPC core, or you can use the SPEs for JIT compilation and leave the main PPC to execute translated code, which would make it even faster.

The GPU might be a bigger issue though, but thankfully the GameCube has a very standard (and very well known) GPU that isn't very hard to emulate, can't say the same about the PS3's GPU though (we haven't even been able to make a Linux driver).

Overall it's possible, but it would take a lot of effort and there's simply no incentive to do so. As others have said, both Wii and Wii U are fully compatible with the GameCube, and you can pick up a Wii for 20 bucks these days. Then there's also Dolphin, which can run even on the PS4 with Linux.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not impossible, just no one saw a need for it since there are better alternatives on Wii/WiiU specially. And for those who like emulation and use Dolphin on PC, will not be that impressed by the PS3 and its GC emulation performance anyway.

s_007_9328b

Trophies
XP
Country
India
The only consoles that can play Gamecube are Nintendo consoles: Wii and Wii U, or Dolphin on PC, or certain tablets that can play Dolphin, or buy a Gamecube. Those are all your options.
PSP can also run gamecube, it has a dolphin emulator
Post automatically merged:

PSP can also run gamecube, it has a dolphin emulator

GTD1113

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RetroArch has had Dolphin Emulator implemented since 2019 and pretty much any game made before 2005, runs at 60FPS. I've been playing the hell out of Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, and Mario Party 6... The only game I've tried that really struggled to get above the playable line of 30FPS was Need For Speed Most Wanted

RetroArch has had a Dolphin Emulator since 2019. I've been able to play pretty much any game before 2005 at 60fps including Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Party 5, and Mario Party 6. The only game the PS3 really struggled to play at a playable level of 30fps was Need for Speed Most Wanted. And most games after 2005 are heavily encrypted which is the main reason they run like crap

Wat? Since when?
The PSP has one but good luck playing anything made after 2002

Last edited by GTD1113,
  • Wow
Reactions: Marc_LFD

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The fact that Retroarch does support GC emulation doesn't mean that every single Retroarch "port" supports it as well. They have to be manually implemented on each port. Otherwise we could have played PSP games on a N3DS.

But back on thread: no, PS3 is just not powerful enough to run GameCube games through emulation.

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was a port planned back in 2011 I think, but it went nowhere probably due to recompilation and no GPU hardware acceleration from homebrew.

Though maybe AI could be of use to do it.

Last edited by _47iscool,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point... Just get a Wii, they're plentiful, easy to mod and they go for essentially pennys.
A hacked Wii (and in color a black one because the white looks really cheap and tacky, imo), 64GB/128GB SD card, an official component cable, a memory card of 128MB (should be plenty, I guess), and an official (GCN, Smash Wii U, or Smash Ultimate) or trusted third party controller (Hori, Under Control, or Retro Fighters).

You just can't beat the Wii in terms of having a very affordable way of playing GCN games. :)

Reactions: rcpd

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A hacked Wii (and in color a black one because the white looks really cheap and tacky, imo), 64GB/128GB SD card, an official component cable, a memory card of 128MB (should be plenty, I guess), and an official (GCN, Smash Wii U, or Smash Ultimate) or trusted third party controller (Hori, Under Control, or Retro Fighters).

You just can't beat the Wii in terms of having a very affordable way of playing GCN games. :)
For about $50 more you can get a base model 8Gb Wii U that will also do GameCube and Wii plus has the benefit of playing Wii U games. If you’re not a purist you can even fix the Wii U’s vWii video issues using USBLoaderGX and get some pretty stunning 720p output over HDMI in both Wii and GC games.

Then there’s the gamepad…

Reactions: Marc_LFD

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can get a really good image with an aroma plugin for the vwii, but it requires you start in the wiiu mode, so you can't access the vwii through the selector at boot.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can get a really good image with an aroma plugin for the vwii, but it requires you start in the wiiu mode, so you can't access the vwii through the selector at boot.
I’m fine with that. Grab a Wii U to GameCube controller, fire up USBLoaderGX, and play like it’s a regular old Wii. Reboot back into your environment loader and load back into Aroma to play Wii U. Bonus: it keeps the Wii U 300 title limit to a minimum by not using injects. But really, we’re getting off topic here…

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny