are sony vaio s laptops reliable?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by benno300, Jun 16, 2012.

Jun 16, 2012
  1. benno300
    OP

Member benno300 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    I would like to know if the sony vaio s series 2012 is a reliable laptop.
    I'm.going to buy 1 if it is :)

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Google for reviews on it.

3. benno300
    OP

Netherlands
    I did they say that it has a really good build quality can I assume that it's good quality in the long run?

4. nico445

Member nico445 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    If you really want something for the long run you could buy a laptop at mycom (they give a 3 year warranty on every laptop!)
    I myself was looking for a laptop and just went for a Lenovo since they look pretty sturdy. they have a nice cashback promotion now in the Netherlands. (50 Euro's Back if you buy On site warranty) which could work out to be handy too.

5. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Please don't go by looks or build quality as a measure of reliability. That's just the chassis. Reliability depends on the choice of parts (in turn dependant on the quality of materials), the design of the cooling, and how well it is taken care of by the consumer. Also any factory faults (15-25% of ALL laptops will fail within the first year, irrespective of brand).

A Ferrari in the hands of a crazy drunkard (inb4ironman)is less reliable than a Honda in the hands of an OCD maintenance guy.

Check for reviews to find out how good your chosen laptop is. Also give us the exact model number and specs to give us an idea of how good it is. Otherwise, most people here will be too lazy to research it themselves to find out what type of laptop your talking about. Myself included (ea
    Especially after a long day ending with a lot of cider at the pub).

6. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    You can compare a Sony product to an Apple product. They are well made and overpriced. Reliable? I am not so sure probably more than most but not unkillable.

7. Originality

United Kingdom
    Apple aren't actually all that great either. My dad used apples for years for video editing, and finds that they crash more often than PCs, are usually easy to break, and are hell to get serviced. The premium you pay is for the style and OS.

2 people like this.
  8. Alaude

Member Alaude GBAtemp Regular

India
    hmm......haha buying by just looking at looks and price is seriously a waste in my view :P. its all about the quality and stability they build it with. you can never predict a laptop's lifespan as some kinda go bad in months and others for years straight.

2 people like this.
  9. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    As others have said proper model numbers or not much we can do- most laptop makers have a cheaper line and pricier line although if you are going to compare brands then laptops are nominally better to do so in than most (still far from a good idea mind).

This being said my usual experiences* with Sony are build quality is usually somewhat above the cheapest and nastiest stuff dell puts out (nor terribly difficult mind you) although they would be hard pushed to beat Lenovo at their best, getting parts can be tougher (read more expensive) as they are usually quite custom (this usually means power supply, battery and screen replacement is more costly), it is not really a problem but they try to get you to use their nasty site for drivers and such (go elsewhere and find the actual stuff that gets updated), being Sony you will probably get a bunch of Sony geared products/interfaces (memory stick where others have SD although as SD readers are cheap and readily available that might not be so bad) and generally servicing them is a pain (not many niceties when it comes to cleaning out the fans/heat sinks and if you break a screen you might be stuck with an extra hour of labour) and step one of owning one is nuke the bundled OS or spend five hours getting rid of all the crap they bundle with it (it is not just software but hooks and services) as I have yet to find a maker that is worse and only have worse cross my bench when people buy old work laptops or laptops off other people. Pricing for what you get.... unlike most of their stuff maybe a shade higher than some other companies for something of a similar quality but nothing as outrageous as Apple in their prime and nothing I would even consider labelling as overpriced.

*in the interests of full disclosure Sony are on my do not buy unless truly necessary list and that tends to extend to laptops I service (which customers usually ask me to say yes or no on.....) so I tend not to see as many as I did say four years ago.

10. benno300
    OP

Netherlands
    the model number is svs 1115 configurable at sony's site, here is my configuration:
    intel i7 ivy bridge
    nvidia gt 640m 2gb
    vaio display plus full hd ips screen
    750 gb hdd 5400 rpm
    8gb ram

and if the sony brand laptops aren't so good what's a good alternative for this laptop?

11. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
  12. Originality

United Kingdom
    Keep in mind, the brand are just the companies that assemble the laptops. No brand is better than another, so just get one that has the best specs you are willing to pay for and check the reviews for any inherent design flaws.

13. gtmtnbiker

Member gtmtnbiker GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just bought a Sony Vaio S a couple of weeks ago (VPCSE27FX/B is the model). So far, I'm happy with it. It's very light, has good battery life. The only thing I'm still getting used to is the keyboard placement. My right hand tends to be on the wrong keys (off by one) because of the number pad inclusion. The home row placement is a bit to the left of center which is what throws me off.