Gaming are sony vaio s laptops reliable?

nico445

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you really want something for the long run you could buy a laptop at mycom (they give a 3 year warranty on every laptop!)
I myself was looking for a laptop and just went for a Lenovo since they look pretty sturdy. they have a nice cashback promotion now in the Netherlands. (50 Euro's Back if you buy On site warranty) which could work out to be handy too.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Please don't go by looks or build quality as a measure of reliability. That's just the chassis. Reliability depends on the choice of parts (in turn dependant on the quality of materials), the design of the cooling, and how well it is taken care of by the consumer. Also any factory faults (15-25% of ALL laptops will fail within the first year, irrespective of brand).

A Ferrari in the hands of a crazy drunkard (inb4ironman)is less reliable than a Honda in the hands of an OCD maintenance guy.

Check for reviews to find out how good your chosen laptop is. Also give us the exact model number and specs to give us an idea of how good it is. Otherwise, most people here will be too lazy to research it themselves to find out what type of laptop your talking about. Myself included (ea
Especially after a long day ending with a lot of cider at the pub).

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can compare a Sony product to an Apple product. They are well made and overpriced. Reliable? I am not so sure probably more than most but not unkillable.

Alaude

Trophies
XP
Country
India
hmm......haha buying by just looking at looks and price is seriously a waste in my view :P. its all about the quality and stability they build it with. you can never predict a laptop's lifespan as some kinda go bad in months and others for years straight.

Reactions: 2 people

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As others have said proper model numbers or not much we can do- most laptop makers have a cheaper line and pricier line although if you are going to compare brands then laptops are nominally better to do so in than most (still far from a good idea mind).

This being said my usual experiences* with Sony are build quality is usually somewhat above the cheapest and nastiest stuff dell puts out (nor terribly difficult mind you) although they would be hard pushed to beat Lenovo at their best, getting parts can be tougher (read more expensive) as they are usually quite custom (this usually means power supply, battery and screen replacement is more costly), it is not really a problem but they try to get you to use their nasty site for drivers and such (go elsewhere and find the actual stuff that gets updated), being Sony you will probably get a bunch of Sony geared products/interfaces (memory stick where others have SD although as SD readers are cheap and readily available that might not be so bad) and generally servicing them is a pain (not many niceties when it comes to cleaning out the fans/heat sinks and if you break a screen you might be stuck with an extra hour of labour) and step one of owning one is nuke the bundled OS or spend five hours getting rid of all the crap they bundle with it (it is not just software but hooks and services) as I have yet to find a maker that is worse and only have worse cross my bench when people buy old work laptops or laptops off other people. Pricing for what you get.... unlike most of their stuff maybe a shade higher than some other companies for something of a similar quality but nothing as outrageous as Apple in their prime and nothing I would even consider labelling as overpriced.

*in the interests of full disclosure Sony are on my do not buy unless truly necessary list and that tends to extend to laptops I service (which customers usually ask me to say yes or no on.....) so I tend not to see as many as I did say four years ago.

benno300

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
the model number is svs 1115 configurable at sony's site, here is my configuration:
intel i7 ivy bridge
nvidia gt 640m 2gb
vaio display plus full hd ips screen
750 gb hdd 5400 rpm
8gb ram

and if the sony brand laptops aren't so good what's a good alternative for this laptop?

gtmtnbiker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a Sony Vaio S a couple of weeks ago (VPCSE27FX/B is the model). So far, I'm happy with it. It's very light, has good battery life. The only thing I'm still getting used to is the keyboard placement. My right hand tends to be on the wrong keys (off by one) because of the number pad inclusion. The home row placement is a bit to the left of center which is what throws me off.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."