Are save state issues common under NesterJ

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by dib, Aug 7, 2009.

Aug 7, 2009
  1. dib
    OP

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    A majority of games are broken with the save state feature. It will claim to create one, but report a "state load failed" error when attempting to load.

It seems that the problem is that some games will create a .ss0 file on the memory card and do work, while others won't create that file and fail. All of them create a 0 byte .png and 0 byte .zs0 file, which also seems strange that they would be empty of any data.

Is this typical behavior from that emulator?

I tested the first few games in my list to see which ones work:

1943: success
    A Boy and His Blob: fail
    Adventures of Lolo 3: fail
    Archon: fail
    Battletoads: success
    Bionic Commander: fail
    Blaster Master: grey screen, fails to play
    Bubble Bobble: fail
    Burger Time: fail
    Captain America and the Avengers: fail
    Darkwing Duck: success

Some of the games that have succeeded previously:
    Ghostbusters
    Megaman 6
    Mendel Palace
    Rampage
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    3-D Battles of World Runner
    Zelda 2 The Adventure of Link

However, running tests is ultimately pointless because I've also found that a game which succeeds at one time may fail later. I removed the save states from the succeesful games under Windows Explorer, then launched NesterJ and attempted to save state again. Zelda 2, World Runner, etc. all failed.

Meanwhile Mendel Palace failed the other night, yet later succeeded. So it appears completely arbitrary, which is the worst kind of bug.

I know I can rule out file permissions as a cause, since it still manages to write other files (albeit with 0 bytes), and I checked them all to ensure they weren't flagged for read-only. I also tried reformatting the memory card, as well as disabling the CFW hack to speed up memory access.

But I still need to know if this is symptomatic of the emulator or isolated to my experience in order to figure out how to proceed.

2. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    try the regular ver of nesterj
    I found a RM mod one to be pretty badly coded

I think v1.20 is out

3. dib
    OP

United States
    That's some beta version which is even older than the RM. Either way, the point is attempting to troubleshoot the issue, not choose between one ancient version or a newer unofficial one with better features.

4. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    some guy messed around with the code and messed a bunch of crap up
    he did the same exact thing to Rin and that also had a bunch of glitches that werent present in official versions
    I wouldnt call that better features, half the time the RM feature just crashes it

doesnt matter how old it is, its the official ver that actually runs correctly compared to this crap mod

Ive messed around with them to know which one is better

5. dib
    OP

United States
    The RIN upgraded version really is better though, I've got it on my PSP right now. Apart from the fact you can't map functions to the analog, the code is actually cleaned up (O and X actually do what is stated), you don't have to reset options like the palette for GB games on every play, etc. Plus it has rewind. I've had zero stability problems, and I play it often thanks to three Zelda games, two Picross, and others.

6. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    all im saying is just to try it and see if you get the same problems because ive never had a save state issue, they have always worked fine me