Are my DSLite tools still worth anything?

Bovrillor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've been away from 'the scene' for a long time (so long that I lost my old account, and access to the marketplace with it... d'oh!)

Anyway, I've got a double-whammy set here to get rid of:

R4 Revolution cart
EZFlash V (white)

I don't think the R4 is worth a whole lot on it's own... but maybe the two together have some value? ...given that it adds all those lovely GBA features to a DS Lite.

I'll have to list them on ebay since I'm gonna be locked out of the marketplace for a long time, but if anyone could give me an idea of value that would be incredibly useful! GBP or USD, either is fine.

Many thanks guys :)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
An original R4 has some value these days (at one point it was worthless) as it should support Wood firmware which is one of the more complete ones. Still going to be limited to SD memory (2 gigs and down) though.

EZ5 (presumably not EZ5i) I don't know which flavour that is offhand.

If it was the i line then while it stopped getting updates before the end it was not that long (pokemon conquest was a few days later) and there are patches to sort the difference in those few things. Feature wise it is only the DSTwo that beats it and even those claims are not without ability to knock (stuff like the in game text reader is better on the EZ5 line than supercard from where I sit).

For the EZ5, EZ5 NYE and EZ5 plus lines then things are a bit more tricky, though it is still a feature rich cart and the collection of patches make them still worth a look in.

Your competition is mostly going to be from the R4 clones, possibly all timebombed as well (though that is easy enough to dodge in most cases).

Bovrillor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
An original R4 has some value these days (at one point it was worthless) as it should support Wood firmware which is one of the more complete ones. Still going to be limited to SD memory (2 gigs and down) though.

EZ5 (presumably not EZ5i) I don't know which flavour that is offhand.

If it was the i line then while it stopped getting updates before the end it was not that long (pokemon conquest was a few days later) and there are patches to sort the difference in those few things. Feature wise it is only the DSTwo that beats it and even those claims are not without ability to knock (stuff like the in game text reader is better on the EZ5 line than supercard from where I sit).

For the EZ5, EZ5 NYE and EZ5 plus lines then things are a bit more tricky, though it is still a feature rich cart and the collection of patches make them still worth a look in.

Your competition is mostly going to be from the R4 clones, possibly all timebombed as well (though that is easy enough to dodge in most cases).

I'm afraid I remember less than what this photo would tell you!

Not familiar with the term 'timebombed' in this context.

I remember these being top dog when I purchased them but lord knows that was a while ago lol. Now I'm just trying to scrape some cash for a flashcard for my GBA Micro. I'm sure there's irony or something in that!

Attachments

• IMG_20221021_020103564~2.jpg
    IMG_20221021_020103564~2.jpg
    904.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Love
Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I remember these being top dog when I purchased them but lord knows that was a while ago lol. Now I'm just trying to scrape some cash for a flashcard for my GBA Micro. I'm sure there's irony or something in that!
Does it come with the EZ-Flash V slot-1 cartridge? I can only see the 3-in-1 expansion card.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Original R4 is essentially worthless. They can be bought without the sticker on AliExpress / Ebay for $10.

3-in-1 expansion pack isn't worth much. All of its features can easily be replaced by using an EZ-Flash Omega DE instead. I'd say maybe $20+ USD for this alone, since it's more of a rarity to find now.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Timebombed is something we started to see in the later years of the DSi/earlier years of the 3ds and goes on to this day.
The loaders on the cartridge will check the time on your DS and if it is past a certain date will refuse to work (presumably to get people to go "oh dear it is broken, oh well it was only $30 so let's get another"). Fix is buy one without (dodge the problem before you have it is generally a solid plan) but set the time back on your DS (most games don't care) or if there is an alternative loader then use that.

Anyway that looks like an original R4. At one point they went near worthless but today thanks to working with wood (not the most feature rich loader but has nice cheats and all the best fixes so that is enough for most) and being useful in various hacks/unbricking they are worth something again. Still limited to 2 gigs of memory but that is enough for some ( http://www.advanscene.com/html/index.php if you wanted sizes).
The other is a EZFlash 3 in 1, DS lite version (there was a full size GBA slot version, those are worth a bit as they were not common to begin with and then various repro makers, those wanting their hack immortalised as a cartridge and some electronics types that found the RAM they used rather suitable for something). The battery is likely dead at this point which makes some things a bit more tricky but easy enough to replace those. The full title is something like the EZ5 3 in 1 expansion pack as it is does ROM running of GBA games, RAM expansion for DS homebrew ( https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3_in_1_Expansion_Pack_for_EZ-Flash_V#Third-Party plus a few emulators and stuff mentioned in https://gbatemp.net/threads/flubbas...ed-other-recent-homebrew.619739/#post-9952151 ) and web browser, and rumble support for both the DS and probably GBA games if you got them going on. Originally they were an expansion pack for the EZ5 line/family of DS flash carts but the EZTeam made them open source and thus they got supported by an array of homebrew and flash cart loaders.
They are about as basic as it gets for running GBA games (always were, top dog then and now belonging to standalone GBA flash carts in that side of things) but you can readily play basically all the GBA library at the speeds/level of bugginess that would be present in the real version of the game with one ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/buying-a-gba-flash-cart-in-2013.341203/page-18#post-4756995 for the trouble games and fixes) then they are still desired by enough. No idea of current prices though, not going to be too terribly high and not going to make too large a dent if you are eyeing up an omega, omega DE or everdrive offering.
You could hack it up to fit in a normal GBA slot and run one game at a time but they really want a DS cart to manage them/would have to fish out the DS every time you wanted to change a game.

Bovrillor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does it come with the EZ-Flash V slot-1 cartridge? I can only see the 3-in-1 expansion card.

No slot-1 cart, by the time I purchased it they were being sold separately due to going open-source. Thus I was able to 'do everything ' using the R4.

Timebombed is something we started to see in the later years of the DSi/earlier years of the 3ds and goes on to this day.
The loaders on the cartridge will check the time on your DS and if it is past a certain date will refuse to work (presumably to get people to go "oh dear it is broken, oh well it was only $30 so let's get another"). Fix is buy one without (dodge the problem before you have it is generally a solid plan) but set the time back on your DS (most games don't care) or if there is an alternative loader then use that.
Thanks, super-informative! Can confirm it's an original R4, bought it before the great knock-off crisis happened. Never knew the 3-in-1 had a slot-1 cousin! When I got this stuff the 'Supercard' had just been rendered obsolete and everyone was enjoying patchless booting for the first time.

I don't have the means to test the kit, I sold my DS before the DSi hit the market, as I'd found myself more interested in genuine GBA carts and SNES emulation. Currently all I have is a GBA Micro and am weighing up the options of:

Omega DE, Everdrive Mini or just getting a Retroid 2+. All 3 currently cost about the same in the UK (It's economic roulette over here lol)

aitehs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
I've been away from 'the scene' for a long time (so long that I lost my old account, and access to the marketplace with it... d'oh!)

Anyway, I've got a double-whammy set here to get rid of:

R4 Revolution cart
EZFlash V (white)

I don't think the R4 is worth a whole lot on it's own... but maybe the two together have some value? ...given that it adds all those lovely GBA features to a DS Lite.

I'll have to list them on ebay since I'm gonna be locked out of the marketplace for a long time, but if anyone could give me an idea of value that would be incredibly useful! GBP or USD, either is fine.

Many thanks guys :)
Not much really

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the intel everyone. Found a new home for this equipment, and got myself an Everdrive V5mini.
Mission accomplished!
You're welcome, anytime. Enjoy your Everdrive X5 Mini. :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol