Hardware Are Aliexpress N3DSXL IPS panels fully functional?

Lenks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Hi, i want to order new IPS panels for my N3DSXL but every IPS panel on Aliexpress have missing pin of the ribbon cable. Is this normal or their 3D functionality is compromised?
upload_2020-4-22_8-24-33.png
upload_2020-4-22_8-25-39.png

Lenks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Thanks! I didn't know that. As for the other question is this cable ribbon OK? I saw on YouTube videos and also on iFixit that all cables are like that.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! I didn't know that. As for the other question is this cable ribbon OK? I saw on YouTube videos and also on iFixit that all cables are like that.
What you probably saw were the more common n3DSXL upper TN panels. Here's an aliexpress listing for a variety of LCDs for the NDS, DSi, and 3DS family of systems. The ribbon cable for the n3DSXL top lcd has all the traces. Here's an eBay listing for n3DSXL upper IPS LCD sold for the US market. This one is hard to tell, but if you look there's a slightly darker area like where yours show the missing trace. If one had to guess what the trace was, it's probably to signal to the motherboard whether the display is TN or IPS.

When you install the replacement LCD, check if it really is an IPS with 3DSident-GUI.

MasterofBiscuits

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I bought one of these recently and noticed the pads seemed to be missing but I fitted it anyway. The 3D does not work, I just get a double image.
Could this be because my original screen was a different type (IPS/ TN) and there is some kind of configuration issue?

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You will need to borrow the [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND/ro/sys/HWCAL0.DAt from another n3DSXL that came built with an IPS upper LCD. Your n3DSXL will look dim and off hue using its factory display calibration meant for a TN panel.

Wasn't aware of this file. I have made several TN/IPS swaps and the only strange behaviour I ever noticed is that TN replacements that were IPS before get a weird "refresh" ghosthing and the super stable 3D doesn't keep up as fast as an IPS, so you will notice small flickers when the parallax barrier adjusts the angle as you move your head. Could that file be related then?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought one of these recently and noticed the pads seemed to be missing but I fitted it anyway. The 3D does not work, I just get a double image.
Could this be because my original screen was a different type (IPS/ TN) and there is some kind of configuration issue?
Thank you for bringing this new information to our attention.

I think I'm wrong about the earlier statement about the missing trace signaling to the motherboard whether it's TN or IPS.

Maybe the n3DSXL upper IPS LCD you bought isn't genuine. It could be that yours was made by an aftermarket 3rd party manufacturer that doesn't 1-to-1 replicate the genuine IPS panels. The panel probably has 400x240 pixels where it's missing the other horizontal 400px needed for the parallax barrier's 3D effect.

New Theory: Missing trace ?= no parallax signal.

Wasn't aware of this file. I have made several TN/IPS swaps and the only strange behaviour I ever noticed is that TN replacements that were IPS before get a weird "refresh" ghosthing and the super stable 3D doesn't keep up as fast as an IPS, so you will notice small flickers when the parallax barrier adjusts the angle as you move your head. Could that file be related then?
Yes, having those HWCAL0.DAt HWCAL0.dat and HWCAL1.DAt HWCAL1.dat files either missing or set to the wrong type of display panels will cause image problems.

I don't recommend doing this if you're not comfortable messing with the CTRNAND or don't know your way around using GodMode9, but as an experiment you can easily recreate this scenario where the ghosting and super stable 3D does not track correctly.

DO NOT PERFORM THE STEPS BELOW UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.
  1. GodMode9 → [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND/ro/sys → press (L)-shoulder button on both the HWCAL0.DAt HWCAL0.dat and HWCAL1.DAt HWCAL1.dat to highlight them in yellow.
  2. For safety in case you somehow mess this up, make backup files by pressing (A) → Copy to 0:/gm9/out.
  3. Press (Y) to [CLIPBOARD] select the two (2) files. If selection mistake has occurred, press (SELECT) to reset.
  4. Back out once with the (B) button. Press (Y) → Move Path(s). This will relocate the *.DAt *.dat files to 1:/ro directory.
  5. Perform the battery trick in order for the bad calibration settings to take effect.
  6. Boot to HOME Menu. Observe the horrendous image quality.
  7. Move the *.DAt *.dat files back to the 1:/ro/sys directory. Perform the battery trick again.

May 05, 2020 Edit - Sorry for the mistake. The correct spelling for the extension is supposed to be *.dat without the capitalization.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: DSoryu

MasterofBiscuits

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think I can post links as a newbie, but it's this item /item/32851900465.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.39194c4dP1HQJt if you just add the aliexpress url before it it should work.It is listed as "Replacement New Upper Top Buttom Lower LCD Display Screen for Nintendo NEW 3DS XL LL Repair Parts Display Panel" and doesn't mention IPS, but I have checked it with 3DSident and it does say IPS. My existing lower screen is a TN, so I was wondering if maybe factory TN devices are missing some hardware that makes the IPS 3D work? Just a guess though.

Probably more likely that this is a faulty batch of screens. If anyone follows The Retro Future on Youtube, he also mentioned in his latest video that he fit one of these screens with a missing pad and the 3D doesn't work, so this does seem to be an issue. Not sure what to do with mine, doesn't seem worth the hassle of sending it back to China, and changing the screen is so time consuming I may just live without the 3D.

grubgrub

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I don't think I can post links as a newbie, but it's this item /item/32851900465.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.39194c4dP1HQJt if you just add the aliexpress url before it it should work.It is listed as "Replacement New Upper Top Buttom Lower LCD Display Screen for Nintendo NEW 3DS XL LL Repair Parts Display Panel" and doesn't mention IPS, but I have checked it with 3DSident and it does say IPS. My existing lower screen is a TN, so I was wondering if maybe factory TN devices are missing some hardware that makes the IPS 3D work? Just a guess though.

Probably more likely that this is a faulty batch of screens. If anyone follows The Retro Future on Youtube, he also mentioned in his latest video that he fit one of these screens with a missing pad and the 3D doesn't work, so this does seem to be an issue. Not sure what to do with mine, doesn't seem worth the hassle of sending it back to China, and changing the screen is so time consuming I may just live without the 3D.

Thanks man!

I've been looking for a bottom IPS display for a reasonable price for a while
Do you know if 3DSident says the bottom screen is IPS as well? For $13 it may be worth a shot

I saw this post on reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/3DS_IPS_TN/comments/8acqn3/ips_screens_make_a_world_of_a_difference_dont/
This guy did not seem to have any issues with his IPS mod.
He installed both top and bottom IPS panels on his TN SNES model 3ds and seemed to work just fine.
May have to double check the installation to see if the cables are all in.

Last edited by grubgrub,

MasterofBiscuits

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks man!

I've been looking for a bottom IPS display for a reasonable price for a while
Do you know if 3DSident says the bottom screen is IPS as well? For $13 it may be worth a shot

I saw this post on reddit

This guy did not seem to have any issues with his IPS mod.
He installed both top and bottom IPS panels on his TN SNES model 3ds and seemed to work just fine.
May have to double check the installation to see if the cables are all in.

No problem. I cannot speak about the lower screen as I ordered only the top one - my feeling is that will be less of an issue on the lower screen since that one is just a plain panel (ie no 3D to worry about). It's also much easier to change than the top screen. With the exception of the 3D not working the screen is great and has a nice image.

Interesting link - I don't think the issue is with IPS screens as such, just a bad batch of screens currently being sold out of China (it looks like that post is from a couple of years ago, so whatever screens he has have probably long since sold out).

If I have time I will crack my 3DS open again and get some pictures of the ribbon cable connector under my microscope so we can see exactly what is different on the pins.

Lenks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I'm thinking to go the other way and buy IPS model and sell mine. Seems that IPS swap is big lottery in terms of preserving full functionality with the upper screen in terms of 3D and colors..

Lenks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
As an answer to my own question if your console is acting weird after IPS\TN swap it's probably because of needing the correct HWCAL1.dat and HWCAL0.dat files.

r0achtheunsavory

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My New 2ds XL looks better than any TN 3ds I've seen, and probably better gamma, color tint (seems pretty close to 6500k), and contrast ratio than the IPS ones too. It actually looks good playing it in the dark, unlike most LCD screens.

I'd try to find a New 2ds XL in a store to see what you think about it's panel. I probably actually prefer having a TN panel (as long as it looks good like mine does) over an IPS for applications like this. TN have faster response time than IPS so platformers and fast games in motion look better.

Maybe I just got a golden sample 2ds XL, but it seems like the TN's in them look better than the 3ds ones. Think they also removed the parallax better in New 2ds XL, and maybe a smaller screen gap, also contributing to better image quality.

Sparrrow88

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody got any current links/sellers for IPS screens? The link at the top now only sells the bottom screen...
I know this is 3 years too late but here is the link to the IPS top screen i just purchased.

/item/1005004447947693.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.22.28151802jCWoVE

The Aliexpress seller could not confirm the screen type before purchase, now as a result my 3d image is doubled due to my "new" 3ds xl being originally fitted with a TN type top screen

now I'm trying to learn more with regards to the hardware calibration side of things to correct this messed up 3d image

Last edited by Sparrrow88,

hassanswag3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is 3 years too late but here is the link to the IPS top screen i just purchased.

/item/1005004447947693.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.22.28151802jCWoVE

The Aliexpress seller could not confirm the screen type before purchase, now as a result my 3d image is doubled due to my "new" 3ds xl being originally fitted with a TN type top screen

now I'm trying to learn more with regards to the hardware calibration side of things to correct this messed up 3d image
Hey man, thanks for this update, thinking about ordering that top IPS display from the same seller. Any idea where to get a matching IPS lower display for the New 3ds xl (2015) as well? Currently have a TN lower display
Post automatically merged:

Hey man, thanks for this update, thinking about ordering that top IPS display from the same seller. Any idea where to get a matching IPS lower display for the New 3ds xl (2015) as well? Currently have a TN lower display

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you can't find the screen seperately you might have to buy unit that has the specific IPS screen you are looking for or buy a dual IPS screen unit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: What are the odds lol