OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
miraicoder.github.io
XP
Country
United States
ive been looking around to see if its possible to install custom firmware onto the main board for the arcade1up ms pacman tabletop, but i havent been able to find anything. is this even possible at the moment? just wondering!

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Actually, someone did do a good deep dive into the hardware of the things and was easily able to get root access which would in theory allow you to do whatever on it, including add new games to the system. You can read more info here if you like: https://www.reddit.com/r/Arcade1Up/comments/a02870/hack_original_board_not_just_replace_w_pietc/ <

But as noted above, it's possible to put a Pi (or really any PC with USB ports and HDMI, if you wanted to) into the Arcade1Up cabinets which is 100% the better solution, because the SoCs used in the cabinets are garbage (a 10 year old Allwinner A13 in gen 1 and 6 year old Allwinner H3 in Gen2) and wouldn't give you great performance on most games you'd want to add. I have a little arcade stick AIO that has an Allwinner H3, and the performance on even PS1 games is basically terrible.

To add a Pi (or PC), you'll need to spend at least $80 on components (not including the PC/Pi and any accessories like SD card or cases, which will set you back another $60+ depending on what you get), including:
1) Replacement buttons+sticks with a new USB encoder < Usually around $30-$60, depending on how good you want the buttons
2) Audio amp for the speaker < Like $5-15 depending on what you get
3) An HDMI controller board to connect the Pi to the screen < $25-$30 if you want a decent one.

miraicoder

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
miraicoder.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Actually, someone did do a good deep dive into the hardware of the things and was easily able to get root access which would in theory allow you to do whatever on it, including add new games to the system. You can read more info here if you like: https://www.reddit.com/r/Arcade1Up/comments/a02870/hack_original_board_not_just_replace_w_pietc/ <

But as noted above, it's possible to put a Pi (or really any PC with USB ports and HDMI, if you wanted to) into the Arcade1Up cabinets which is 100% the better solution, because the SoCs used in the cabinets are garbage (a 10 year old Allwinner A13 in gen 1 and 6 year old Allwinner H3 in Gen2) and wouldn't give you great performance on most games you'd want to add. I have a little arcade stick AIO that has an Allwinner H3, and the performance on even PS1 games is basically terrible.

To add a Pi (or PC), you'll need to spend at least $80 on components (not including the PC/Pi and any accessories like SD card or cases, which will set you back another $60+ depending on what you get), including:
1) Replacement buttons+sticks with a new USB encoder < Usually around $30-$60, depending on how good you want the buttons
2) Audio amp for the speaker < Like $5-15 depending on what you get
3) An HDMI controller board to connect the Pi to the screen < $25-$30 if you want a decent one.
oooh i actually saw this thread but it was a lot for me and got kinda confusing! i do plan on investing into the pi option but i wanted to know if it was possible to do it just with stock hardware. i know theres a micro usb cable that i used to install update firmware so i was curious if someone had developed custom firmware for the thing. thank you tho!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.