Arcade controller recommendations, suggestions, reviews.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since i don't see any reviews about them (Even though i know there is review of other hardware) I made this post to ask simply what are some advice on buying one? For anyone who doesn't know i am talking about a arcade controller, it is just like the name says, the controls you use when playing arcade games, like Pac man, donkey kong, bubble bobble, Street fighter, etc. It has a lever either ball point or mor like the exclmation point "!" and buttons, much like well... A sega saturn controller. Picture below for reference.

maxresdefault.jpg

The picture above is your common "Console" Arcade controller, is goes by other names, like fight stick, arcade stick, but this is the one i have. I find it a decent product. I payed about $60 for it During 2014 holiday season with cupon, from the image, it uses a USB cord to connect to consoles, is compatible with PS3 and PC via a HID driver, so is not compatible with most pc game, mostly ones require X-input. It does work on android devices as i have used it with OUYA, Shield TV, Tablet and portable. It may even be compatible with Wii homebrew like nintendon't or the emulator mods for HID but i have not though to try it. Playing super smash bros with arcade controller? Ha, funny thought. Anyway, i had used it and found it a decent addition, is made by Qanba and this is title "Q1" (which i guess is model number?) It comes with interchangable gates. That is the restrictors used to control the stick, such as 8 way directional corners, (octogon gate) or 4 way (Box gate) or Round (Circle gate) It also has clamps for stuff like desk or tables or trays, or if you want to attach it to something rather than sit it on top. It also has rubber anti slip stoppers to remove slips. Sits in lap well or on floor or table. It has 8 buttons, each matching the four face buttons on the Dualshock 3 (Cross, Circle, Triangle, Square) And the four sholder buttons (L1/L2/R1/R2) And the ball point lever. It also features a start button, home, and turbo functions, also goes by Rapid fire. It simulates rapid button presses over and over but the two functions are Semi auto, (Hold button for rapid) or full auto (No button input required) Which can be useful for multiple things.

This is the one i own, sadly for some reason is not working. I plug it in and the light indicators are on to represent functionality and power but i can not get any button responses. I tried to fix it, except i have no experience with this or circut boards with electrical wires, and decied to replace it, perhaps maybe buying another one when is on sale for lower prices. This one was my first purchase of this type of variety controller and i was very happy to have one. Not only was it fun to play game at home like in a arcade but learn new way to have expanded use of different control types. :)

Most people use this for the fighting game variety, cause i guess is designed based on it. Games like street fighter was always a 6 button game with low mid and high punch and kicks, while some others use less like King of fighters having 4 with just low and high punch kick, the main focus was fighting games, but it works in many types of games, just don't try with any FPS (First person shooting) Games as those require a second right analog stick which arcade controls can provide by optionally switching the only one lever from left analog controls to right, so that wouldn't be great idea. Games like pac man, contra, PS1 games, some PS2 games, Some PC games or just games you would normally find in a arcade setting will work. :P

Anyway if anyone else have any comments they like to share about their purchases of these kinds of arcade controllers, post them here, i am curious, I like to know about what brand, or how it looks, if you can provide a link or picture of your very own, how much it cost, durability, long lasting, quality (Like buttons or parts) comfort and any positive or negative comments, reasons to buy or avoid it. I am open to suggestions of Budget options. To start i will not be interested in any that cost over $100, and i know the really expensive ones are like that much like madcatz and other rare sponsored ones, I am willing to spend $80 max for one, so i may end up getting the same one from the image again to replace, if i cannot find a solution to fix. :unsure:

Here is a list of key features to mention.
  • Branding quality (Who made it and is it approved quality and such)
  • Console compatibility (What does it work on? PC Using X-input or HID, PS3/PS4/PSvita TV, Xbox360/Xbox one, android or ios, etc.
  • Button layout (IS it 4 button, 6 button or 8 button? Feature any extra like turbo, rapid fire?)
  • Customizable (Does it come with parts you can change like the 8 way octogon gate, or box gate? Replaceable buttons? Lever, Picture decal?)
  • Accessories (Like the table clamps, or the rubber anti slip stoppers, spare parts for replacing any broken parts)

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not too keen on doing such a thing which is why i bought one made already, it would take some time and effort to obtain necessary knowledge to build things. Not everyone is capible of that dedication.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You need a USB interface (say something like the teensy line of programmable devices which already has a bunch of game controller/keyboard interface things made for it already), a piece of wood (go with MDF if you are lacking ideas otherwise) or plastic and a hole saw/drill of suitable size for the buttons (the button listing will say what size so you take that to the shop and say can I have one of these) and a few wires to go to the switches which is all buttons are, if you are fancy and using lit switches then you might also need a power supply for that.

No doubt you can spend a lot of time learning the ins and outs of electronics, the psychology and biology of button placement and make something amazing but a nice arcade style controller is not a massive imposition.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water