Is this app a good idea?

• Total voters

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Inarguably, the latest Nintendo banwave for those using homebrew and/or CFW on their 3DS systems has affected a lot of people. By my estimate, roughly 40% of homebrew and CFW users have been banned, with the number likely to grow over time. Considering the large number of CFW users that affects, and the fact that many of these users probably had friends install CFW for them and don't know what they're doing, I propose the following easy-to-use app:
  • It automatically backs up all of the following files affected by the app
  • It automatically randomizes the last six digits of one's device ID in the SecureInfo_A file
  • It automatically downloads and applies the latest public LocalFriendCodeSeed_B file (the URL would have to be applied manually for copyright reasons, similar to how one would get freeShop to work)
  • It automatically applies the proper settings to minimize ban risk (e.g. turning off the Spotpass "share information" setting)
In other words, it's an automatically updating freeShop for unbanned LocalFriendCodeSeed_B files.

Public LocalFriendCodeSeed_B files are inevitably going to get banned, but it usually takes several weeks for that to happen. When the public LocalFriendCodeSeed_B file is banned, the user would just have to open the app and tap the "Unban me" button again, repeating the process with the latest public LocalFriendCodeSeed_B file and getting another several weeks of online play.

This would be the most efficient way of dealing with the bans with regard to LocalFriendCodeSeed_B file-consumption. If we assume Nintendo doesn't increase the frequency of banning public LocalFriendCodeSeed_B files, then by my estimate, twelve or so public LocalFriendCodeSeed_B files would get the entire 3DS community through a year of online play, which is very efficient. Considering that 3DS online play likely has an expiration date in 1-2 years a la Wii and DS online play, that's only about 12-24 public LocalFriendCodeSeed_B files total. If Nintendo increases the frequency of public LocalFriendCodeSeed_B banning, then the project can die, and we can at least say we tried.

I would work on the project myself, but I'm far too busy in my increasingly busy adultish life, and I wouldn't know where to begin anyway. I have a private LocalFriendCodeSeed_B file, so it really doesn't matter to me personally. If the project took off, I would consider donating 1-2 of my spare LocalFriendCodeSeed_B files to the cause.

What do you think?

Last edited by Lacius,

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An automatic thing that messes with some delicate parts of NAND. Yeah, I see nothing wrong with that.
That's a legitimate concern, but the process is already relatively safe. This app would just streamline the process.

And when I say "automatic," I mean after the user opens the app and selects something like an "unban me" button.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: GilgameshArcher

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you accounting for all of the two-inch dicks who would burn through every seed just to get everyone else banned?

It's a great idea, but there are too many assclowns who'd cause a bigger problem.

I think this why Nintendo didn't give out 2812 with 0102-bans--they knew it'd make more problems.

Xerot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main problem is nintendo can instantly ban the new LocalFriendCodeSeed_B and there is only one per every 3ds meaning people would have to donate them

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you accounting for all of the two-inch dicks who would burn through every seed just to get everyone else banned?

It's a great idea, but there are too many assclowns who'd cause a bigger problem.

I think this why Nintendo didn't give out 2812 with 0102-bans--they knew it'd make more problems.
Public seeds have been commonplace since the Pokemon Sun/Moon banwave of November, and Nintendo isn't banning them more frequently than once every few weeks. If the seeds were banned too frequently, then the project would obviously die.

The main problem is nintendo can instantly ban the new LocalFriendCodeSeed_B and there is only one per every 3ds meaning people would have to donate them
Again, public seeds have been around for awhile, and they're not banning them more often than once every few weeks. If that changed, then that's a different story.

I like the idea but I don't see where we'll get enough seed's from
Public seeds are already available. When one is banned, a new one inevitably appears within a day or so. This app would just streamline the process of downloading and installing them.

H1B1Esquire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo isn't banning them more frequently than once every few weeks

There's a huge influx of ban-didos now; before, I'd say there were, maybe, 20,000 people banned from SuMo (and that's very generous), compared to the 100,000 people who will most likely be banned by mid-summer.

Again, great idea, but like they say, 'Butthurt people try to hurt other peoples butts.' Even if they don't say that, there will definitely be sandyvag's who want to 'get even' when they lose in X game by getting all the 'you're-better-than-me-so-you-must-be-cheating'-players banned. And the other problem of procuring seeds.

I think we might be better off finding a way to 'stealth' on their servers.

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a huge influx of ban-didos now; before, I'd say there were, maybe, 20,000 people banned from SuMo (and that's very generous), compared to the 100,000 people who will most likely be banned by mid-summer.

Again, great idea, but like they say, 'Butthurt people try to hurt other peoples butts.' Even if they don't say that, there will definitely be sandyvag's who want to 'get even' when they lose in X game by getting all the 'you're-better-than-me-so-you-must-be-cheating'-players banned. And the other problem of procuring seeds.

I think we might be better off finding a way to 'stealth' on their servers.
These are all problems inherent to public seeds already, and I don't think the app would affect those problems one way or another.

H1B1Esquire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These are all problems inherent to public seeds already, and I don't think the app would affect those problems one way or another.

I'm just thinking if there are more people banned than ever before, with more coming, whatever problems existed, it'll be 15X worse; especially with the hassle taken out of acquiring a public seed.

Also think, if X number of people who used to donate seeds, suddenly can't because all of their backup systems are banned coupled with even more people getting the seed banned faster, you'd probably only have one day of online play before shit was dripping off from the fan.

If it does end up working, as the EOF says, 'Cool.', but I see a lot of problems occuring until there's a way to mask what we're doing in the first place.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a bit too risky. I'd rather something that gathers the websites the 3DS connects to and sends data to Nintendo, and blocks them, but keeps key ones that allow online play, there's one that allows for PGL/game syncing and Mystery Gift stuff.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-h...s-via-windows-7-8-8-1-virtual-hotspot.386177/

The tool can also clear the activity log on a daily basis, or clear the apps that would raise red flags such as FBI. Also turn off Spotpass automatically, and the Friends List option of showing titles being played. All this to be done after the console is unbanned, and to protect consoles that have so far not been banned.

Reactions: proflayton123

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a bit too risky. I'd rather something that gathers the websites the 3DS connects to and sends data to Nintendo, and blocks them, but keeps key ones that allow online play, there's one that allows for PGL/game syncing and Mystery Gift stuff.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-h...s-via-windows-7-8-8-1-virtual-hotspot.386177/

The tool can also clear the activity log on a daily basis, or clear the apps that would raise red flags such as FBI. Also turn off Spotpass automatically, and the Friends List option of showing titles being played. All this to be done after the console is unbanned, and to protect consoles that have so far not been banned.
None of this solves the issue of actually unbanning a console, and public seeds are many people's only option.

I'm just thinking if there are more people banned than ever before, with more coming, whatever problems existed, it'll be 15X worse; especially with the hassle taken out of acquiring a public seed.

Also think, if X number of people who used to donate seeds, suddenly can't because all of their backup systems are banned coupled with even more people getting the seed banned faster, you'd probably only have one day of online play before shit was dripping off from the fan.

If it does end up working, as the EOF says, 'Cool.', but I see a lot of problems occuring until there's a way to mask what we're doing in the first place.
These would all be issues with public seeds, not the app itself.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of this solves the issue of actually unbanning a console, and public seeds are many people's only option.

I know that, I was thinking more of preventive measures, there's already a functioning unbanning method anyways, that shouldn't really be done until this blows over, but ah well.

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that, I was thinking more of preventive measures, there's already a functioning unbanning method anyways, that shouldn't really be done until this blows over, but ah well.
I agree that preventative measures are important, which is why I think there should be some included in the hypothetical app.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Professional-144TB-G-RAID-Shuttle/dp/B09611KDV4/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?cri...