Hardware PS1/2 Anyway to use External CD-ROM Drive?

_FN10_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm wondering if I could connect a different drive like a PC cd drive.
Cause I know how the cd drive uses a like a 4 pin connecter (sry if I'm wrong ) So could I connect a usb drive or parallel to it?
It's for a project I'm going to do someday. (PSone SCPH-101)

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Cause I know how the cd drive uses a like a 4 pin connecter (sry if I'm wrong ) So could I connect a usb drive or parallel to it?
There has been one of these adapter boards on AliExpress. (https://www.aliexpress.us/item/1005004818226039.html) However, they are no longer sold there for the sole reason of probably discontinuation.

The good news is that @alexfree had posted some pictures of the PCB, perhaps you could make a reproduction adapter since the design is very simple to make
1.jpeg
2.jpeg

Reactions: Alexander1970

_FN10_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There has been one of these adapter boards on AliExpress. (https://www.aliexpress.us/item/1005004818226039.html) However, they are no longer sold there for the sole reason of probably discontinuation.

The good news is that @alexfree had posted some pictures of the PCB, perhaps you could make a reproduction adapter since the design is very simple to make
.View attachment 391011View attachment 391012
Looks cool but does it support any drives, like the ps2 disk drive?

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looks cool but does it support any drives, like the ps2 disk drive?
Supports lasers that have a 16-pin connector, such as the KSS-213.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure what you are heading towards here.

For some consoles when they became basically PCs then you might find probably quite rare drive models on the PC (one of the ones seen on the 360 was only found in some prebuilt machines) that worked to various degrees (some only for homebrew, some could do commercial games, some might need further hacks to do commercial games). Similar things also available rather than PC drives but maybe contemporary audio players and the like which used the same hardware.

The PS1 was still pretty custom rather than off the shelf so options there are minimal, not to mention contemporary drives are going to be super rare and subject to the same concerns (still going to be 30 something year old hardware where most is considered to have a good life if it lasts 10 years).

From where I sit then today you have two main approaches to consider.

1) ODEs and their like. Optical Drive Emulator or occasionally ODDE (Optical Disc Drive Emulator). These sit on the drive cables (sometimes replacing, sometimes pass through) and spit out signals the console understands but reality is they are rocking hard drives/USB drives/SD cards full of ROMs/images of the CDs.

2) Fun with FPGAs. Technically a similar concept but rather than making a thing to allow you to play 1000 different games you have it speak to the nice SATA DVD drive the other side and spit back signals into the PS1 that it understands.

Playstation ODE work is a bit thin on the ground (as is laser replacement and other things here) as the different models employ sometimes radically different approaches which fragments the market somewhat, with no one model being so popular as to crowd out the others.

I am thus not aware of anything I can point at and say "get this", however it is eminently technologically possible (similar things exist for all manner of later devices and more demanding applications and even in the consumer world rather than turbo nerd using a university's lab gear).

Reactions: SylverReZ

_FN10_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

For some consoles when they became basically PCs then you might find probably quite rare drive models on the PC (one of the ones seen on the 360 was only found in some prebuilt machines) that worked to various degrees (some only for homebrew, some could do commercial games, some might need further hacks to do commercial games). Similar things also available rather than PC drives but maybe contemporary audio players and the like which used the same hardware.

The PS1 was still pretty custom rather than off the shelf so options there are minimal, not to mention contemporary drives are going to be super rare and subject to the same concerns (still going to be 30 something year old hardware where most is considered to have a good life if it lasts 10 years).

1) ODEs and their like. Optical Drive Emulator or occasionally ODDE (Optical Disc Drive Emulator). These sit on the drive cables (sometimes replacing, sometimes pass through) and spit out signals the console understands but reality is they are rocking hard drives/USB drives/SD cards full of ROMs/images of the CDs.

2) Fun with FPGAs. Technically a similar concept but rather than making a thing to allow you to play 1000 different games you have it speak to the nice SATA DVD drive the other side and spit back signals into the PS1 that it understands.

Playstation ODE work is a bit thin on the ground (as is laser replacement and other things here) as the different models employ sometimes radically different approaches which fragments the market somewhat, with no one model being so popular as to crowd out the others.

I am thus not aware of anything I can point at and say "get this", however it is eminently technologically possible (similar things exist for all manner of later devices and more demanding applications and even in the consumer world rather than turbo nerd using a university's lab gear).
i cant use a FPGA cause i have a SCPH-101 (PSone)
and i cant find a ode for it as well

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i cant use a FPGA cause i have a SCPH-101 (PSone)
and i cant find a ode for it as well
An FPGA requires programming logic for it to communicate with the PSone. FPGAs and CPLD use something called VHDL language, I would advise looking up some basic guides to get you started.

_FN10_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

.View attachment 391011View attachment 391012
im pretty new to electronics so i don't think i could replicate that board by my self

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
im pretty new to electronics so i don't think i could replicate that board by my self
Most definitely. Use KiCAD or EAGLE depending on whichever software you prefer. KiCAD is by far the easiest software to work with, and its free and open-source meaning you don't have to pay for it.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also i would rather use some kind of ode
I thought you was gonna find a way to use an external CD-ROM drive. An ODE is an internal modification that replaces the disc drive with a piece of hardware that emulates the functionality of one. Games can be loaded via storage medium like an SD card or USB.

_FN10_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I thought you was gonna find a way to use an external CD-ROM drive. An ODE is an internal modification that replaces the disc drive with a piece of hardware that emulates the functionality of one. Games can be loaded via storage medium like an SD card or USB.
out of PPGAs and ODEs i would use an ode, but i would still use a cd-rom drive

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
out of PPGAs and ODEs i would use an ode, but i would still use a cd-rom drive
You cannot use both if the ODE is already installed, either buy an ODE or an external drive. Heck, you might as well replace the one in your PS1 with a replacement drive assembly. If you have a spare donor console, swap it out with that. DO NOT however buy drive replacements from AliExpress, there have been reports of the mechanism snapping because of how the assembly was cheaply put together.

_FN10_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You cannot use both if the ODE is already installed, either buy an ODE or an external drive. Heck, you might as well replace the one in your PS1 with a replacement drive assembly. If you have a spare donor console, swap it out with that. DO NOT however buy drive replacements from AliExpress, there have been reports of the mechanism snapping because of how the assembly was cheaply put together.
i found a board that does the same thing as before https://www.ebay.com/itm/133459016240

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom

_FN10_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The price seems way too much, $22 at that.
i found the same thing again for 11 dollars (CAD) https://www.ebay.com/itm/175854282039
Post automatically merged:

what does the thing support again?
Post automatically merged:

Wait... i just realized that i could make what im going to make with the psone thats already in it...

Last edited by _FN10_,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Fun thing about the PS1 drive: It is more or less the analog part only. The magic of getting digital data from the signal (and all of the decoding steps) are done on the motherboard.
Mentioned at least twice on the forum with a link to Twitter (which I can't open) was a concept of building and ODE providing that low level (Starting at an ISO image on SD card it would need EFM encoder, reed-solomon encoding, scrambling and converting to analoge signal (to have the PS1 do everything in reverse order just like on the real drive). There is some complex stuff going on from measured laser light reflection to user data.
Twitter link was inside here (no idea if still working): https://gbatemp.net/threads/why-doesnt-the-psone-have-much-support-in-the-modding-scene.630264/

Definitely not easy to pull off anything like that. No way of just passing through or translating PlayStation drive commands to a standard USB/IDE/SCSI/SATA drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work