Anyone have a USB charger?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Tyralyon, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Tyralyon
    OP

Tyralyon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2007
    Norway
    So I just received my 3ds imported from Canada (I live in EU, Norway).

It was more or less an impulse buy as I will be working all Christmas, and since it's usually is a little slow during holiday season I will most likely have to kill off some time. Thought it was the perfect time to finally buy a 3ds.

The one thing I didn't think about was the fact that the charger is 110v.
    Christmas is just around the corner and I will most likely not have any options of buying a 220v (will buy one from Amazon, but it won't get here in time).

Now I know you can get a USB cable for charging the 3ds, but I'm not sure if there are any resistors or anything involved?
    Anyone here have a USB charger and a multimeter to check resistance? Or maybe even the knowledge of any other parts that may be in the cable?
    I know you could do a straight from USB to the DS lite, but the DS lite was 5.2v and the 3ds is 4.6v...

I have a spare USB cable and the tools to solder, but don't want to bust my 3ds I got only a couple of hours ago.

HELP save my Christmas!! :P

2. Seaking

Seaking GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 26, 2010
    United States
    another great Tutorial will read again.

http://gbatemp.net/forum/200-3ds-console-accessories-and-hardware/

3. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Tutorials & FAQ

4. ferofax

ferofax End of the World

Jan 26, 2009
    Philippines
    The 3DS uses the exact same power as a DSi/XL. And the cable is just a cable. As long as you're connecting it to a computer/laptop, you should be fine. But stand-alone USB chargers? I wouldn't risk it unless you knew the exact details.

EDIT: And if i'm not mistaken, the amperage(?) or whatever is on the charger's sticker, along with the diagram. Mine says 4.6v, 900mA.

5. Jasper07

Jasper07 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 17, 2009
    Netherlands
    Parallel universe
    The output of a usb port is 5V 1A (iirc), and the input voltage of a DSi is about 4.6V (like ferofax says) so you should be fine.
    And if you use a AC to usb adapter thing, be sure it's not some cheap-ass adapter, because those may screw things up.
    I use a usb charger for my DSi as well btw.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice