Gaming Anyone got Fallout 3 PC to work?

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm at the official forums and I've read hundreds of topics with problems, the game crashes all the time, you can't use the VATS system or you'll lag like hell, ....

I really hope the developers bring out a patch very soon, else I'm bringing this game back (yes I've bought it)

Anyone here got it to work?

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've 'got' the game, and I'm running on XP on a semi-old machine, i have a fairly tricky configuration with windowblinds and dual monitors, but the game hasn't crashed a single time in over 6 hours of gaming. The problems apparently stem from Vista (the evil child of microsoft) and certain video drivers. Setting textures too high also seems to cause more frequent crashes (memory leak issue i presume).

During vats i experience no slowdown, so it is 100% use able.

to answer your question, yes its working, much better than most games in fact.

just ditch vista and you're golden id say.

BTW, great game, if you enjoy an open world where you can play however you want to, do whatever you want to, then don't return the game. Its a real treat!

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
dirty_harry said:
I've 'got' the game, and I'm running on XP on a semi-old machine, i have a fairly tricky configuration with windowblinds and dual monitors, but the game hasn't crashed a single time in over 6 hours of gaming. The problems apparently stem from Vista (the evil child of microsoft) and certain video drivers. Setting textures too high also seems to cause more frequent crashes (memory leak issue i presume).

During vats i experience no slowdown, so it is 100% use able.

to answer your question, yes its working, much better than most games in fact.

BTW, great game, if you enjoy an open world where you can play however you want to, do whatever you want to, then don't return the game. Its a real treat!

I've seen loads of people on the forums with XP on their machine, still doesn't work.
I've updated my drivers, still doesn't work.

@ Jackreyes: It crashes on all the video cards, Nvidia or ATI.

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Works on my computer but if I die I get the memory leak error and have to restart my last autosave again it is really annoying
angry.gif
and it crashed the first time I left the Vault but next time I started a new game it did not strange. Played about 5 hours into the game so far and the FPS and detail is amazing for my computer specs and the VATS works. If it did not crash when I die it would run ok.

I disabled ffdshow for all codecs.

Got the latest Games for Windows Live: http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/0....02.0241.00.msi

Settings:
1400x900, Vsync off, 2xAA, 4xAF, Detail High and HDR enabled. Nivida Driver: 178.24 WHQL

Specs:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236) fully updated.
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.66GHz (OC to 3.11GHZ)
Memory: 1536MB RAM DDR 400
Hard Drive: 160 GB WD Caviar Blue WD1600AAJS SATA-2
Video Card: BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC 320MB (G80)
Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio output
Motherboard: P4VM900-SATA2

barcode1999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
dirty_harry said:

Using vista ultimate 64bit here with absolutely no problems at all , fantastic game all round
smile.gif

I'm running high settings (4xAA, 1280x1024, HDR Lighting enabled) with a :

Phenom 9550 @ stock speeds
4gb ddr2 800MHz
Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB
150GB Raptor X HDD

On a side note i am using the beta nvidia drivers i think the version is 180.42 so maybe try them

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What is the VATS system. It keeps popping up and saying to press V to use the VATS system but it never does anything.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I've only had 2 minor problems when playing Fallout 3 and those are that the first times I started Fallout 3 I got a nice black screen for about 2-3 minutes before the actual game started and a single crash when drinking from one of the toilets in Megaton
tongue.gif

Other than that I haven't had any problems at all, it runs fine on my old computer with quite decent settings:
1024x768, 4xAA, 8xAF, Detail - high and HDR enabled.

CPU: P4 3Ghz (HT)
RAM: 3GB DDR2 533Mhz
GPU: MSI NX8600GT 256MB DDR3

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Minox_IX said:
I've only had 2 minor problems when playing Fallout 3 and those are that the first times I started Fallout 3 I got a nice black screen for about 2-3 minutes before the actual game started and a single crash when drinking from one of the toilets in Megaton
tongue.gif

Other than that I haven't had any problems at all, it runs fine on my old computer with quite decent settings:

Do you have Vista 64bit?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Satangel said:
Minox_IX said:
tongue.gif

Do you have Vista 64bit?
Nope, only 32bits seeing as I knew that I was going to buy a new computer sooner or later.

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Minox_IX said:
Satangel said:
Minox_IX said:
tongue.gif

Do you have Vista 64bit?
Nope, only 32bits seeing as I knew that I was going to buy a new computer sooner or later.

I really don't get why it doesn't work here.
I know 64bit has major problems with some games, but I've tried so many things, and it still doesn't work. Usually a few simple fixes make the game work, but with this one, no way.
Ah, I'm off to Far Cry 2 then, that will keep me amused for a while
smile.gif

And else, Red Alert 3 and Dead Space are mine too

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Satangel said:
I really don't get why it doesn't work here.
I know 64bit has major problems with some games, but I've tried so many things, and it still doesn't work. Usually a few simple fixes make the game work, but with this one, no way.
Ah, I'm off to Far Cry 2 then, that will keep me amused for a while
smile.gif

And else, Red Alert 3 and Dead Space are mine too
Bethesda is known for releasing great games with some major bugs that usually are fixed in later patches. Just look at Oblivion, when it was released I could barely play for more than an hour without it crashing, but with new patches most problems were solved and now I can play it almost perfectly.

Just as a note, I bought my copy from Steam since I didn't want SecuROM installed on my computer.

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Manged to fix the crash after dying on mine
laugh.gif
You need to right-click fallout3.exe and set compatibility mode to windows 2000. Then launch using fallout3.exe, instead of FalloutLauncher.exe.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Lee79 said:
laugh.gif
You need to right-click fallout3.exe and set compatibility mode to windows 2000. Then launch using fallout3.exe, instead of FalloutLauncher.exe.
I always launch through Fallout 3.exe since that way I don't have to have Steam running
happy.gif

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Lee79 said:
laugh.gif

That is usually the kinda work around you need to do to get some games to work on Vista, but with this, it doesn't help anything :'(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/zt9KMvI-kQs?si=o7yb3GlzURRtZh0o