Hacking Question Anybody bricked with the fake sx payload?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAUSENN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You can only recover by restoring a full raw nand backup, if you have one. If not, then that's probably it. Creating a fresh boot0/boot1 and NAND fw with ChoiDujour does not work.
I suggest everyone who was affected starts looking for a new unpatched unit asap, and learn from that mistake and create a full NAND backup right away before never ever again running anything that wasn't posted by the original creators or compiled from Github yourself.
Something like that has never happened to me before, and I am usually very cautious.
I think it's not the right course now to blame everyone for being cheap and trying to get a free SX OS instead of spending a few bucks. I have a SX Pro already, I was just curious to see if it's actually real, and the result is a bricked Switch. It was stupid, and I surely learned my lesson. I already ordered a new Switch.
But to make that perfectly clear: The thing everyone should be worried about is not that some stupid users fell for it, but that there is a payload that completely fucks your Switch and basically anything you download that was not posted by the creator or acquired from the Github releases page can be just a renamed brick payload. This thing is floating around and there will be more people posting it all over the usual pages just for shits and giggles.
Be glad that it was removed so quickly from gbatemp, 10 minutes more and we would have had another 100 bricked users.
That is valuable info, I fortunately did not touch it but the fact that it was planned and implemented by members and people who know a bit more about coding than the average user is a bit disheartening, it wasn't a "prank" that any outsider could have pulled off, it looks like it was from the community.
Who would be bitter and knowledgeable enough to do it? Temkin and Ping Long come to mind

Last edited by TAUSENN,

Kukielka

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I honestly can't believe people would brick my console what assholes...
To be fair, anyone who just runs a payload without knowing what it does and is too lazy to do a full nand backup, kinda deserves to have a bricked console.

Seeing that many people saying these bricks were deserved really disgusts me.

What kind of world do we live in?

We know most people, I'd even say nearly every single person that bought SX OS are illegaly downloading games online or from Nintendo's CDN.
People that pirate games are likely to do so because they want to save money, just like people that are looking for a cracked SX OS.
I wish we could find a solution for them because yes I would be very VERY pissed if my Switch got bricked this way. Maybe you should consider to stop being hypocrites and feel empathy for others instead of hating on them because they tried to get something YOU bought to get free games, for free.

I'm sorry you're going through this OP, I can't help you but I truly hope someone can figure a way to fix this.
I don't feel empathy for stupidity.

Last edited by Kukielka,
Reactions: DarthDub

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To be fair, anyone who just runs a payload without knowing what it does, kinda deserves to have a bricked console.
Enough with the deserving this and that bullshit now. No one deserves to get his 300$ hardware destroyed. Regardless whether it was irresponsible or not well-conceived. I get that people are gloating about this right now, but that doesn't help anyone.
Just be glad that it didn't hit yourself or more users and that some people suffered from it to warn many, many others.

Last edited by wurstpistole,

Kukielka

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Enough with the deserving this and that bullshit now. No one deserves to get his 300$ hardware destroyed. Regardless whether it was irresponsible or not well-conceived. I get that people are gloating about this right now, but that doesn't help anyone.
Just be glad that it didn't hit yourself or more users and that some people suffered from it to warn many, many others.
It cannot hit me. And this could have been EASILY prevented if people would just take the time to do a full nand backup, but no, they are too lazy. This kind of negligence bricks your switch, not the dude that made the payload.

NO_ob

Trophies
XP
Country
uwu finally got some bricks, it's about time

We know most people, I'd even say nearly every single person that bought SX OS are illegaly downloading games online or from Nintendo's CDN.
People that pirate games are likely to do so because they want to save money, just like people that are looking for a cracked SX OS.
I wish we could find a solution for them because yes I would be very VERY pissed if my Switch got bricked this way. Maybe you should consider to stop being hypocrites and feel empathy for others instead of hating on them because they tried to get something YOU bought to get free games, for free.

I'm sorry you're going through this OP, I can't help you but I truly hope someone can figure a way to fix this.
This is a lesson though people should have nand backups who the fuck doesn't have atleast 1 imo they shouldn't be tampering with their systems if they are too dumb to backups their nand

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It cannot hit me. And this could have been EASILY prevented if people would just take the time to do a full nand backup, but no, they are too lazy. This kind of negligence bricks your switch, not the dude that made the payload.
Yeah, it cannot hit me as well, that's what I thought until twelve hours ago. Just stop being a smartass and making fun of people who just flushed their Switch down the drain.
On a sidenote, I think the person creating the payload and distributing it as something it isn't, even with faked proof, is at least partly responsible, isn't he?

Reactions: Deleted User

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you think about it, those people are cheapskate, not willing to pay $30 for SXOS and now they bricked their Switch and has to buy a new one - cost them more money and time.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's easy to talk and act like a sociopath through the internet. These people who claim they deserve the bricks have no respect for the humans behind the user.

This would make an interesting study opportunity. To record the nation flag of each user who devolves threads with negativity and see which countries have users with the most toxic behavior. I feel that GBATemp is diverse enough for it to not only be USA due to population.

Kukielka

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, it cannot hit me as well, that's what I thought until twelve hours ago. Just stop being a smartass and making fun of people who just flushed their Switch down the drain.
On a sidenote, I think the person creating the payload and distributing it as something it isn't, even with faked proof, is at least partly responsible, isn't he?
Ofcourse he is partly responsible, but he didn't execute the payload on you switch, did he? He probably didn't delete your backup, since there wasn't one to begin with, right?

It's easy to talk and act like a sociopath through the internet. These people who claim they deserve the bricks have no respect for the humans behind the user.

This would make an interesting study opportunity. To record the nation flag of each user who devolves threads with negativity and see which countries have users with the most toxic behavior. I feel that GBATemp is diverse enough for it to not only be USA due to population.
Honestly I think that whole brick scenario is fucking hilarious.

Last edited by Kukielka,

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
For the cheap skates you get what you deserve. But for the folk that live in less well off conditions it's a pretty scummy move . Kids egh.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ofcourse he is partly responsible, but he didn't execute the payload on you switch, did he? He probably didn't delete your backup, since there wasn't one to begin with, right?
Honestly I think that whole brick scenario is fucking hilarious.
It's still not okay to come here just to make fun of the victims, telling that people deserved it. If you have nothing else to contribute, like a fix, just gtfo this thread.
Again, no one deserves to get 300$ hardware broken because someone wanted to make a nice little joke.
And no, it's far from hilarious.

Last edited by wurstpistole,

Kukielka

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's still not okay to come here just to make fun of the victims, telling that people deserved it. If you have nothing else to contribute, like a fix, just gtfo this thread.
Again, no one deserves to get 300$ hardware broken because someone wanted to make a nice little joke.
And no, it's far from hilarious.
Look at it as a lesson learned, peeps will be much more careful with their stuff from now on. :)

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're putting everyone in the same bag.

Paying $30 for SX OS and you get to play thousands dollar worth of games, that's a good deal. Not wanting to pay for anything and wants to take risk running crackware - that's real cheap and careless.

Don't tell me they are poor and can't afford $30, if they can afford a Switch they can easily pay $30 - it's half the price of a retail game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol