Any way to mod NES/SNES/Gameboy/N64 into EEPROM?

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by AeoxEternal, Nov 2, 2014.

1. AeoxEternal
    OP

AeoxEternal Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 2, 2014
    United States
    I'm slowly learning of the inner workings of my childhood games.
    Unfortunately, batteries run out and the game's saves are now moot.

This doesn't sit well with me. I'd have to replace all of my games' batteries every 15 years just to feel relieved at the illusory comfort of being able to pop it in and play it at any time. I'd like to know a way to get rid of this SRAM problem....

Anyone know a tutorial or anything of help to mod SRAM games into EEPROM? I don't have extensive knowledge whatsoever about these types of things, so I apologize if this comes off as naive.

2. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    You can't. SRAM and EEPROM are two completely different technology. It is not a matter of swapping the chip. The board circuit alone prevents it.

Just solder a battery holder, that'll make battery replacement easier on future.

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Are there any pin and/or protocol compatible FeRAM chips available nowadays?

Otherwise yeah what trumpet-205 said, stick in a battery holder and go with that. Rather than modding for flash or EEPROM I would probably sooner do the FeRAM stuff but if that was not possible I would probably sooner add battery charging circuitry.

4. AeoxEternal
    OP

AeoxEternal Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 2, 2014
    United States

Okay, thanks for the info and help. I'll definitely be doing that.

5. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    Foxi4 likes this.
  6. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Anyway, EEPROM memory retention also expires in about 10 years (Disclaimer: maybe current technology is better), so data in EEPROM memory will be "erased" after time.

Source: Sorry, but I don't have enough patience to look for a good source, google for "EEPROM data retention" or look at this way too brief Wikipedia article.

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Technically yes - you can replace the modules as migles said as long as you find a compatible counterpart, it's finding one that's a challenge.

8. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    yes, i have a friend who warned me about it, if you leave data in a memory for 10+ years without touching it, it gets erased...
    but if you 5 years later re-write the data the "countdown" will reset, it will stay there for 10 years again

9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Removing the battery is still beneficial, issues of memory retention aside. Remember, a battery is a small button full of acid, you generally don't want to store them for decades on end because they do degrade, they can leak and as a result they can destroy the cartridge altogether.

10. SSG Vegeta

SSG Vegeta GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2013
    United States
    For NES/SNES/ I would just buy a WiiU & classic controller & for N64 VWii is an excellent choice if you get a WiiU you'll always have saving & you'll be able to catch up on what you missed out on when your favorite games were still being released

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Myeh. It's not the same thing. As someone who owns numerous retro consoles I can assure you that playing on them rather than on modern solutions or emulators has a certain irreplaceable allure to it.

12. SSG Vegeta

SSG Vegeta GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2013
    United States
    I like both solutions but playing on an actual system you would be able to use cheats & homebrew :)

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Since when can you not use cheats on emulators? Other than cartridge tilting I guess.

Also *parting short at Foxi4organicgames*.

14. EarthBound 2

EarthBound 2 Banned

Banned
    Feb 22, 2014
    Poland
    What is it?You mean turn them to Android ports?This should be cool.

15. SSG Vegeta

SSG Vegeta GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2013
    United States
    I was referring to official emulators & how you can't use cheat devices with them

16. Hozu

Hozu GBAtemp Regular

Aug 25, 2010
    Canada
    Unless you're on a Wii U outside of vWii mode, you can use cheats... You'll definitely need to convert them, if they haven't been converted yet, but the point is you can still use cheats.

17. SSG Vegeta

SSG Vegeta GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2013
    United States
    Wouldn't that require hacking the WiiU

18. Hozu

Hozu GBAtemp Regular

Aug 25, 2010
    Canada
    There have been hacks for vWii mode for quite some time now. The Wii U hasn't been hacked, obviously, which is why I mentioned that cheat usage is for vWii mode only. Or for a real Wii if you'd rather go that way.

19. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Not so much organic, rather "non-suicidal". If your games collection drowns in battery acid, you're gonna have a bad time. ;)

20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    No argument there

However it was more emulators and their being the way forward and usually the superior way thing I wanted to drag back up.