any way to get save data back from an old emummc ?

st4ticbuzz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
picked up my switch for the first time in like half a year today , accidentally got a system update (running on autopilot , misread the message , hit ok and didnt think) , completely fucked everything , etc . everything said it was corrupted and i couldnt open or use anything basically . so i fixed it kind of but somewhere along the way it stopped letting me use emummc and then said that there wasnt one at all so im assuming it got corrupted or something . did some googling and came to the conclusion that just making a new emummc was my best bet . so i did that . nothing id seen had mentioned that itd fuck my save data so i didnt rlly think twice abt it (foolish of me) . anyways so i did that but now my games are all no longer installed and upon trying to reinstall them the way ur supposed to it tells me a server communication error occured . not sure what to do from here . no idea how to reinstall the games without losing my save data (or how to reinstall them at all really . i guess just like . download them again from my pc ?) . for most of my games losing save data wouldnt be a problem except i REALLY dont want to replay xenoblade up to where i was . is there any way to get it back as quickly and easily as possible ? thx : )
(srry this isnt very clear , not great at describing things)

Last edited by st4ticbuzz,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
picked up my switch for the first time in like half a year today , accidentally got a system update (running on autopilot , misread the message , hit ok and didnt think) , completely fucked everything , etc . everything said it was corrupted and i couldnt open or use anything basically . so i fixed it kind of but somewhere along the way it stopped letting me use emummc and then said that there wasnt one at all so im assuming it got corrupted or something . did some googling and came to the conclusion that just making a new emummc was my best bet . so i did that . nothing id seen had mentioned that itd fuck my save data so i didnt rlly think twice abt it (foolish of me) . anyways so i did that but now my games are all no longer installed and upon trying to reinstall them the way ur supposed to it tells me a server communication error occured . not sure what to do from here . no idea how to reinstall the games without losing my save data (or how to reinstall them at all really . i guess just like . download them again from my pc ?) . for most of my games losing save data wouldnt be a problem except i REALLY dont want to replay xenoblade up to where i was . is there any way to get it back as quickly and easily as possible ? thx : )
You can check out this tut on a way to recover game saves from a working emummc:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/recovering-games-saves-from-nand-using-nxnandmanager-and-jksv.620758/

If you made a new emummc on top of a potentially corrupt emummc your chances of saving it rapidly approach zero.

Reactions: impeeza

st4ticbuzz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can try to follow the link and see if there’s anything there. If you overwrote it, your chances are slim but there’s still a chance.
gave it a try , didn't really work . figured as much , but worth a shot . couple of extra questions tho . at what point would i have had to do this for it to work ? and how do i reinstall my games ? do i have to redownload them from my pc ?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gave it a try , didn't really work . figured as much , but worth a shot . couple of extra questions tho . at what point would i have had to do this for it to work ?
Before you “made a new emummc” would have been ideal. You went from 50/50 down to 1/99 (or less) with that step.
and how do i reinstall my games ? do i have to redownload them from my pc ?
Yes, unfortunately you are starting with a blank slate and will have to start from scratch. One thing I do to avoid this is I back EVERYTHING up and then switch my card out. I do this every 2-3 weeks. That way I only lose a couple of week’s changes at most.

Last edited by binkinator,

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

so theres nothing i can try ?
The search function at top of site is your friend, please read and if you have questions let us to know, you question is answered on the tutorial pointed by Binky.

RamusGaming

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
i have done it before.

gotta ask you first which type of emuMMC you installed. file type or sdpartition type ?
Post automatically merged:

get nxnandmanager and your switch prod.key

open your emummc by using nxnandmanager and unlock root access with your prod.key

file type emummc - open file type "boot0" inside emummc folder in your sdcard.

sd partition type emummc - open drive

you will list of stuffs and only one you need to look for is the one called "user" thats where your save is.

right click open and save it whereever.

play your game and create aave on switch then back it up with jksv. now you justs need to replace save then restore.

easy as that. i have done it before

Last edited by RamusGaming,
Reactions: impeeza

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
i have done it before.

gotta ask you first which type of emuMMC you installed. file type or sdpartition type ?
Post automatically merged:

get nxnandmanager and your switch prod.key

open your emummc by using nxnandmanager and unlock root access with your prod.key

file type emummc - open file type "boot0" inside emummc folder in your sdcard.

sd partition type emummc - open drive

you will list of stuffs and only one you need to look for is the one called "user" thats where your save is.

right click open and save it whereever.

play your game and create aave on switch then back it up with jksv. now you justs need to replace save then restore.

easy as that. i have done it before
yes, this are the steps of the tutorial:
You can try to follow the link and see if there’s anything there. If you overwrote it, your chances are slim but there’s still a chance.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/recovering-games-saves-from-nand-using-nxnandmanager-and-jksv.620758/

• Love
Reactions: binkinator

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...