Hacking Any way to backup saves from retail 3DS carts to use with Sky3DS?

crimsonnight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I definitely can't afford to go down that road unfortunately :( I don't suppose you live in Kent/London lol? :P

What's this ROP exploit? I'd be happy to try it

*EDIT* I have a DS Lite and DSTwo if it helps?

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Yeah, I definitely can't afford to go down that road unfortunately :( I don't suppose you live in Kent/London lol? :P
What's this ROP exploit? I'd be happy to try it
*EDIT* I have a DS Lite and DSTwo if it helps?
You wont be able to make the ROP code for cardID read, IMO only the lead 3DS homebrew devs like smea or yellow8 are able to do so, but they not interested in that.

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
New solution:

The Sky3DScTool's author 一粒米饭07 announced a new tool called "3DSsavTool for GW Sky3DS".
It supports exporting EEPROM-NO saves, and importing GW saves into Sky3DScTool-converted EEPROM-NO ROMs.

Though it still faces up the savedata incompatible problem, because GW saves are all 2.2 encrypted but all the new games (later than mid 2013) on Sky3DS is 6.0 encrypted - unless you only play Sky3DS on GW Classic, which sounds stupid.

It still has another problem - it makes blue-button meaningless - with all ROMs being Sky3DScTool-converted (which is required by this new solution), you never need blue-button for limit breaking.

crimsonnight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New solution:

The Sky3DScTool's author 一粒米饭07 announced a new tool called "3DSsavTool for GW Sky3DS".
It supports exporting EEPROM-NO saves, and importing GW saves into Sky3DScTool-converted EEPROM-NO ROMs.

Though it still faces up the savedata incompatible problem, because GW saves are all 2.2 encrypted but all the new games (later than mid 2013) on Sky3DS is 6.0 encrypted - unless you only play Sky3DS on GW Classic, which sounds stupid.

It still has another problem - it makes blue-button meaningless - with all ROMs being Sky3DScTool-converted (which is required by this new solution), you never need blue-button for limit breaking.

Sorry, I'm totally confused, can i transfer pre-mid-2013 save data from official carts to Sky3DS using the tools I have at my disposal?

loathsome

Trophies
XP
Country
New solution:

Where do you download this new tool?

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Sorry, I'm totally confused, can i transfer pre-mid-2013 save data from official carts to Sky3DS using the tools I have at my disposal?
Most of pre-mid-2013 saves are 2.2 encrypted.
So they're OK to be imported by the tool I mentioned above.

But what you asked is retail cart's save (= .3DZ save).
You need to convert it into .3DS save to make it importable.
MT Launcher can automatically do this by dumping retail cart save.

Instruction:
1) Copy MT Installer into GW Bluecard and run it.
2) Copy MT Launcher to SD card and run it.
3) Dump retail cart save.
4) Copy the save to PC.
5) Use 3DSsavTool to convert dumped save into Sky3DS-EEPROM-NO format.
6) Use Sky3DScTool to convert ROM into EEPROM-NO format.
7) Import both EEPROM-NO ROM and converted save into Sky3DS.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Most of pre-mid-2013 saves are 2.2 encrypted.
So they're OK to be imported by the tool I mentioned above.

But what you asked is retail cart's save (= .3DZ save).
You need to convert it into .3DS save to make it importable.
MT Launcher can automatically do this by dumping retail cart save.
MT launcher requires MT card for save convention. Anyway there is no problem converting TO sky save format, the problem is to convert FROM retail card org gateway changed encryption.

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
MT launcher requires MT card for save convention. Anyway there is no problem converting TO sky save format, the problem is to convert FROM retail card org gateway changed encryption.
1. Dumping 2.2 cart saves (and auto-convert) DOESN'T require MT, just like downgrading 9.2 to 4.x without GW.
2. 2.2 cart saves haven't got any encryption problem.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
1. Dumping 2.2 cart saves (and auto-convert) DOESN'T require MT, just like downgrading 9.2 to 4.x without GW.
Are you certain? I checked MT manual, it looks like save convertion is a completely different menu option. Though manual is in "chinese" english I believe you can explain better way :)

loathsome

Trophies
XP
Country
The author only announces the tool in Baidu Tieba. You can find his thread by searching his full nickname, or just contact him.

Yes and only people with a Chinese phone number can download from there or contact him. Can you reupload it for us to see please?

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Are you certain? I checked MT manual, it looks like save convertion is a completely different menu option. Though manual is in "chinese" english I believe you can explain better way :)
It seemed that you misunderstood what I explained.
I'm giving you the tutorial:

1) Copy MT-Installer into GW Bluecard and run it.
2) Copy MT Launcher to SD card.
3) Open 3DS and run MT Launcher. You'll force entering the MT Launcher main menu since you don't have MT.
4) Insert pre-mid-2013 retail cart, then Backup Save. After this step, the save is auto-converted to a format NEVER REQUIRES 3DZ ROM.
(You should know that GW's Backup Save only dumps save which requires 3DZ ROM.)

So
1) It never requires an MT-card.
2) It auto-converts pre-mid-2013 retail cart saves into universal format.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically, there is no way to backup retail cards with sky3ds. So in the end you're still going to need the GW card, or MT card to do this. So ehat is sky3ds going to do about this?

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Card2 savegames should be easily imported, but you need to change a few parameters in template.txt:

At least Unique-ID has to be the same, also there is information about the manufacturer and the size of the flash, those may have to be modified to.
I successfully imported my Pokemon Y savegame this way.

Card1 savegames may need the updated Unique-ID as well, other than that you should probably able to write the raw data in the save slot for sky3ds.

For both you need to modify the raw save data to look like i documented here: https://github.com/lukas2511/sky3ds.py/wiki/Savegame-Backups

Glad to see you successfully imported CARD2 Pokemon to Sky3DS. Could you please explain in details how to get UniqueID and edit template.txt? I've got my retail card dumped already for both Pokemon XY/ORAS.
Thank you in advance.

lukas_2511

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Glad to see you successfully imported CARD2 Pokemon to Sky3DS. Could you please explain in details how to get UniqueID and edit template.txt? I've got my retail card dumped already for both Pokemon XY/ORAS.
Thank you in advance.

There is a tool somewhere that tells you the hex values for card manufacturer and the unique id of a gamecard dump that was made with gateways launcher (doesn't need gateway). Take those values and put them in the right places in template.txt (take a look at https://github.com/lukas2511/sky3ds.py/wiki/Disk-Layout#bytes-from-templatetxt for which value means which), i think you'll mainly edit the first and the fifth line for the game, not sure what is important, probably mostly uniqueid and cart id, but maybe also eeprom id. For my try i just replaced everything that I could get from my original gamecard, and it worked.

Some people probably posted on here how to get "online headers" or something running, that is probably done the same way, so maybe read one of those tutorials, dunno.

edit: you can also get those values directly from a 3dz file with a hexeditor, i think somewhere around 0x1200 or something like that, it should be easy to spot as at least the unique id is surrounded by lots of 0xff

Reactions: thaikhoa

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
There is a tool somewhere that tells you the hex values for card manufacturer and the unique id of a gamecard dump that was made with gateways launcher (doesn't need gateway). Take those values and put them in the right places in template.txt (take a look at https://github.com/lukas2511/sky3ds.py/wiki/Disk-Layout#bytes-from-templatetxt for which value means which), i think you'll mainly edit the first and the fifth line for the game, not sure what is important, probably mostly uniqueid and cart id, but maybe also eeprom id. For my try i just replaced everything that I could get from my original gamecard, and it worked.

Some people probably posted on here how to get "online headers" or something running, that is probably done the same way, so maybe read one of those tutorials, dunno.

edit: you can also get those values directly from a 3dz file with a hexeditor, i think somewhere around 0x1200 or something like that, it should be easy to spot as at least the unique id is surrounded by lots of 0xff

I'm new in terms of editing. Look so confused but it's fun to try :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up