Any Tokusatsu Fans in Here?

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of the blue 2 weeks ago I had an interest in watching Power Rangers, so I did. Netflix seemingly the best source for decent quality videos. I never used Netflix as extensively as I am now. I blazed through season 1 in 7 days, and I'm only 5 or 6 episodes away from finishing season 2. I plan to finish season 2, then watch the movie, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I watched that a lot as a kid, I hardly watched the show. When I got into it, In Space and Lost Galaxy played, I remember watching the Ninja Turtles crossover, and my first Green Ranger was a black man. Also, given the exposure to the movie, I thought those 6 were the originals, later I learned the Red, Black, and Yellow Rangers replaced the original trio who donned the suits. I intend to watch all the series, but I do want to take a break after I watch Turbo: A Power Rangers movie, or finish the whole Zordon Era. I'll watch other stuff, then come back and try to watch other seasons, break again, come back. If I can do this all in short time, it gives me confidence to watch series with massive episodes like Naruto, One Piece, and Pokemon. So far I'm enjoying the 90s cheese, and everyday I learn new things about the series, that stuff fascinates me, and just appreciating the people who donned the suits, during this time they were doing most of their own fight scenes and stunts. Also, that theme song, it's audio sex.

Reactions: LightyKD

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh yeah, i love Tonkatsu:
recipetonkatsu.1024x1024-1.jpg

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

A few pointers...

- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie and the 2017 Saban's: Power Rangers both take place in a alternate timeline from the MMPR TV show.

- Prepare yourself to see the same adventure twice between MMPR: The Movie and the first few episodes of MMPR season 3

- Alien Rangers is just the last 10 episodes of MMPR season 3

- Definitely watch Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie before you watch Power Rangers Turbo. It's the only in-universe movie and basically acts like episode 1-3 of the show.

- Some episodes of Power Rangers Time Force and I think one episode of Lost Galaxy was edited post 9/11. You can find the unedited scenes on YouTube. I'm trying to find high quality unedited episodes for my collection.

- If you decide to fall off or don't do anything else, ABSOLUTELY, DEFINITELY, watch Power Rangers RPM. It's the best the franchise has to offer

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few pointers...

Thanks for the pointers. I do intend on watching the 2017 movie soon, I forgot to bring that up. As I watched the show, I was very interested in Q&A panel discussions featuring these guys, and fortunately there's lots of those to enjoy on Youtube. Through there I did learn that they had to reshoot the original movie and it led to them being behind schedule on TV, and so they shot the series in Australia, where the movie was also shot. I made it to those episodes, and found it funny in the Return of the Green Ranger, when they travel back in time, you can clearly catch an Aussie playing a Redcoat. Unfortunately this was at the start of Lord Zedd being watered down. I still like him, but man he was so entertaining before the marriage with Rita. I especially loved how he bitched out Goldar every time. I also learned that Johnny Yong Bosch is a successful voice actor, not knowing he voiced someone I loved watching as a kid, Vash from Trigun. Even recently voicing Wamu in Devilman Crybaby. I watched the sub, but it makes me want to check the dub out to listen to his voice. Also Space Dandy, he was Johnny, who hit it off with Dandy and they tried to start a rock band.

So since the 2019 season will be adapting Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters, have you seen that? I was thinking of watching that much later to get ready for the upcoming season. Also, Rangeractors is now the big reason to go on Instagram.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*snip*
So since the 2019 season will be adapting Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters, have you seen that? I was thinking of watching that much later to get ready for the upcoming season. Also, Rangeractors is now the big reason to go on Instagram.

Funny thing with Go-Busters. I have it and was slow roasting it. Not that I hated the show. I loved it but I haven't had the time to watch a PR show along with a Sentai and Kamen Rider broadcast since the days of Gokaiger, PR Samurai and Kamen Rider Decade. I REALLY hope that Go-Busters (PR Beast Morphers) ends up being a RPM sequel. All the elements are there, including the guy that handled the second half of PRM (first show runner was fired by Disney, long story). For now I'm taking Go-Busters off my NAS and sticking it on a USB stick to watch after Beast Morphers is over. I was only 15 episodes or so in and I don't want to spoil myself. Hopefully this will be the last Sentai Saban makes a reversal on. I saw a slight advantage to Saban skipping certain Sentai. It gave me something to watch in the off season period for Power Rangers and felt different enough to not feel like double dipping.

andzalot55

I'm very delicious. mmmm.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm more of an otaku but I do follow the Kamen Rider series: specifically the Heisei and neo Heisei series. I have watched almost all but Kuuga and Agito.

I tried getting into Super Sentai but it didn't interest me as much as compared to Kamen Rider (with the exception of the new Sentai series, Lupinranger vs. Patranger.)

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny thing with Go-Busters. I have it and was slow roasting it. Not that I hated the show. I loved it but I haven't had the time to watch a PR show along with a Sentai and Kamen Rider broadcast since the days of Gokaiger, PR Samurai and Kamen Rider Decade. I REALLY hope that Go-Busters (PR Beast Morphers) ends up being a RPM sequel. All the elements are there, including the guy that handled the second half of PRM (first show runner was fired by Disney, long story). For now I'm taking Go-Busters off my NAS and sticking it on a USB stick to watch after Beast Morphers is over. I was only 15 episodes or so in and I don't want to spoil myself. Hopefully this will be the last Sentai Saban makes a reversal on. I saw a slight advantage to Saban skipping certain Sentai. It gave me something to watch in the off season period for Power Rangers and felt different enough to not feel like double dipping.

I did read some stuff about the Disney Era and it just makes me hate Disney more. I've had a deep down hatred of them that had calmed down over the years thanks to Marvel and the Pirates of the Caribbean movies way back then, also Pixar. But this kind of re-opened old wounds, like how they wanted to cancel the show several times and were seemingly embarrassed to have the Power Rangers property, Also, the Red RPM Ranger is on Jessica Jones, I learned. Good for him. Yellow Jungle Fury Ranger was the blonde in Cabin in the Woods, Lost Galaxy Yellow Ranger went topless for Not Another Teen Movie (yay), I just love learning all kinds of Power Rangers trivia.

Wouldn't Godzilla also classify as Tokusatsu? I read the term applies to Japanese movies and TV shows that rely heavily on special effects. I only saw the first Godzilla movie and enjoyed that. Also, was Kamen Rider an inspiration for Mumen Rider from One Punch Man? I keep thinking of him when I see "Kamen Rider." Also, with Beast Morphers, before reading what it's adapting, I just assumed it would try to bring back original Mighty Morphin Rangers. "Morph" coming back, then I read Go-Busters apparently was a send-up of Power Rangers, "Zord" is apparently used there too. 25th anniversary of the Saban franchise as well this year, I feel like I got in at the right time.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did read some stuff about the Disney Era and it just makes me hate Disney more. I've had a deep down hatred of them that had calmed down over the years thanks to Marvel and the Pirates of the Caribbean movies way back then, also Pixar. But this kind of re-opened old wounds, like how they wanted to cancel the show several times and were seemingly embarrassed to have the Power Rangers property, Also, the Red RPM Ranger is on Jessica Jones, I learned. Good for him. Yellow Jungle Fury Ranger was the blonde in Cabin in the Woods, Lost Galaxy Yellow Ranger went topless for Not Another Teen Movie (yay), I just love learning all kinds of Power Rangers trivia.

Wouldn't Godzilla also classify as Tokusatsu? I read the term applies to Japanese movies and TV shows that rely heavily on special effects. I only saw the first Godzilla movie and enjoyed that. Also, was Kamen Rider an inspiration for Mumen Rider from One Punch Man? I keep thinking of him when I see "Kamen Rider." Also, with Beast Morphers, before reading what it's adapting, I just assumed it would try to bring back original Mighty Morphin Rangers. "Morph" coming back, then I read Go-Busters apparently was a send-up of Power Rangers, "Zord" is apparently used there too. 25th anniversary of the Saban franchise as well this year, I feel like I got in at the right time.

Well Beast Morphers marks year 26 and in regards to bringing back MMPR I think that will be regulated to the current movie series and the comics (you should read them when you get a chance). As for Disney, it's a shame that they never wanted PR. The show is a cash cow and there was a large rumor that most of the UK channels with the Jetix action block was begging Disney to not cancel the show due it it being a large part of their profits.

Reactions: RustInPeace

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hate to double post but I am extremly addicted to this song now...

For those of you who don't know, this is the theme song to "Kamen Rider W". Speaking of Kamen Rider W, this show needs to just come to the states with a TV PG rating. It's too damn good to not have on U.S. television. Hell would be awesome if Pluto.TV could get the rights to air the TV-Nihon subs of Kamen Rider, Super Sentai and Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon.

Last edited by LightyKD,

luigismentor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm big on Super Sentai. So much so, I actually co-founded a fansub group called Bad Apple Fansubs. We were planning on subbing Himitsu Sentai Goranger in it's entirety, but we had a falling out. On the bright side, Rampage Subs apparently picked up where we left off.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hate to double post but I am extremly addicted to this song now...

If you could rank all seasons of Power Rangers, how would it look like? Curious as to what I should look forward to, and what I should worry about. From what I've seen and heard, I'm excited about Dino Thunder, SPD, Time Force, In Space, RPM, but am concerned about Operation Overdrive, and the Megaforce seasons. Speaking of which, what happened there? I heard many cuts were done, a lot of people including the original Power Rangers turned down Saban, except of course JDF, what's up? I did watch a compilation of the cameos from Saban's official Power Rangers youtube channel, and I thought that was alright. I mean, I only recognized Tommy, but yeah.

I have an idea already how I'll receive the 2017 movie, but I'll ask anyways what you think of it?

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you could rank all seasons of Power Rangers, how would it look like? Curious as to what I should look forward to, and what I should worry about. From what I've seen and heard, I'm excited about Dino Thunder, SPD, Time Force, In Space, RPM, but am concerned about Operation Overdrive, and the Megaforce seasons. Speaking of which, what happened there? I heard many cuts were done, a lot of people including the original Power Rangers turned down Saban, except of course JDF, what's up? I did watch a compilation of the cameos from Saban's official Power Rangers youtube channel, and I thought that was alright. I mean, I only recognized Tommy, but yeah.

I have an idea already how I'll receive the 2017 movie, but I'll ask anyways what you think of it?

RUN AWAY from Megaforce and Super Megaforce but watch Gokaiger. I'm not a "Sentai snob" but it's the truth. They tease you on the first episode of Megaforce as if you're going to get a glorious story but it fails utterly. Only thing good about Megaforce is the theme and morphing music.

As for Operation Overdrive. It's bad but not the worse. It's an example of a season that tried too hard with very little budget. Mystic Force is debated but I LOVED it. Maybe because I was in love with Vida (the pink Ranger) but overall I had fun with that season. There's a nice little "made for TV" movie in the middle of that season. "Dark Wish" can be found in movie form or split as three episodes. Go for the "movie" version. It's a lot more enjoyable that way.

As for Samurai and Super Samurai, it's serviceable but you can tell there is a HUGE drop in quality from RPM to those seasons. If I had control I would take Samurai to Dino Super Charge and make it a separate universe. Then I would take RPM and make that a part of the main timeline. BTW The two newer Dino seasons are the best of this new era, even beating the current Ninja seasons. As for Ninja Steel, it's a very slow burn. Starts off very weak but over time the characters grow on you so it ends up not being horrid.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RUN AWAY from Megaforce and Super Megaforce but watch Gokaiger. I'm not a "Sentai snob" but it's the truth. They tease you on the first episode of Megaforce as if you're going to get a glorious story but it fails utterly. Only thing good about Megaforce is the theme and morphing music.

As for Operation Overdrive. It's bad but not the worse. It's an example of a season that tried too hard with very little budget. Mystic Force is debated but I LOVED it. Maybe because I was in love with Vida (the pink Ranger) but overall I had fun with that season. There's a nice little "made for TV" movie in the middle of that season. "Dark Wish" can be found in movie form or split as three episodes. Go for the "movie" version. It's a lot more enjoyable that way.

As for Samurai and Super Samurai, it's serviceable but you can tell there is a HUGE drop in quality from RPM to those seasons. If I had control I would take Samurai to Dino Super Charge and make it a separate universe. Then I would take RPM and make that a part of the main timeline. BTW The two newer Dino seasons are the best of this new era, even beating the current Ninja seasons. As for Ninja Steel, it's a very slow burn. Starts off very weak but over time the characters grow on you so it ends up not being horrid.

Good to know. I do admit to perving on Instagram, and following Chrysti Ane, who is the Ninja Steel Pink Ranger. Well, I don't know why I thought she was perving material, because lately I've seen her just working out, doing some fight training, and shooting guns. She's a self-admitted gun lover. I mean, at least she's not going around killing people with a weapon, unlike Ricardo Medina Jr...that's my incentive for Wild Force, seeing those eyes and trying to catch the would-be murderer behind them.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good to know. I do admit to perving on Instagram, and following Chrysti Ane, who is the Ninja Steel Pink Ranger. Well, I don't know why I thought she was perving material, because lately I've seen her just working out, doing some fight training, and shooting guns. She's a self-admitted gun lover. I mean, at least she's not going around killing people with a weapon, unlike Ricardo Medina Jr...that's my incentive for Wild Force, seeing those eyes and trying to catch the would-be murderer behind them.

Chrysti Ane got "Dat Booty." Seriously, OMG! They had her wear leggings on the first episode and I'm like WTF?! Thank you, but really?! Saban like to act like he keeps his show "clean" but considering Divatox, Astronema, Trekeena, Vipra and our current Pink Ranger, there's some perv level with the show.

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I used to like it before but I kind of got over it when ToQger aired. I tried getting back into it when Kyuranger aired but it was just awful.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Out of the blue 2 weeks ago I had an interest in watching Power Rangers, so I did. Netflix seemingly the best source for decent quality videos. I never used Netflix as extensively as I am now. I blazed through season 1 in 7 days, and I'm only 5 or 6 episodes away from finishing season 2. I plan to finish season 2, then watch the movie, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I watched that a lot as a kid, I hardly watched the show. When I got into it, In Space and Lost Galaxy played, I remember watching the Ninja Turtles crossover, and my first Green Ranger was a black man. Also, given the exposure to the movie, I thought those 6 were the originals, later I learned the Red, Black, and Yellow Rangers replaced the original trio who donned the suits. I intend to watch all the series, but I do want to take a break after I watch Turbo: A Power Rangers movie, or finish the whole Zordon Era. I'll watch other stuff, then come back and try to watch other seasons, break again, come back. If I can do this all in short time, it gives me confidence to watch series with massive episodes like Naruto, One Piece, and Pokemon. So far I'm enjoying the 90s cheese, and everyday I learn new things about the series, that stuff fascinates me, and just appreciating the people who donned the suits, during this time they were doing most of their own fight scenes and stunts. Also, that theme song, it's audio sex.
I was obsessed with the OG Power Rangers when I was 5. Its freakin hilarious that the Black Ranger is Black and the yellow ranger is Asian.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was obsessed with the OG Power Rangers when I was 5. Its freakin hilarious that the Black Ranger is Black and the yellow ranger is Asian.

Watching Q&A panel discussions, it kind of warms my heart to certain people. Quickly, at Power Morphicon in 2016, there was a Red Ranger panel, and some fan flat out asked which series was worse, Samurai or Megaforce, and the Red Rangers for those shows were on the panel. Cringe, and I felt bad for those guys, they tackled that question decently, the moderator though lost his shit, which I kind of back him on that, pretty disrespectful.

About what you said, that's incidental. Walter Jones, the OG Black Ranger, said that when he auditioned for Zack, every other person that gunned for the role were black. They weren't told in advance that Zack's the Black Ranger, they were just informed what the character is, and all the brothas wanted to get in on it. As for the Yellow Ranger, in the pilot, the woman playing that role was Latina, she was later replaced by Thuy Trang (RIP), who was of Vietnamese descent. From the OG Black Ranger's mouth, there was no racism linked to this, and he loves the color black, so, there you go. I love it too, and it's hard to choose a favorite when I'm gaga over Kimberly, the original Pink Ranger. She just blinds my overall scoring system of these people.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Watching Q&A panel discussions, it kind of warms my heart to certain people. Quickly, at Power Morphicon in 2016, there was a Red Ranger panel, and some fan flat out asked which series was worse, Samurai or Megaforce, and the Red Rangers for those shows were on the panel. Cringe, and I felt bad for those guys, they tackled that question decently, the moderator though lost his shit, which I kind of back him on that, pretty disrespectful.

About what you said, that's incidental. Walter Jones, the OG Black Ranger, said that when he auditioned for Zack, every other person that gunned for the role were black. They weren't told in advance that Zack's the Black Ranger, they were just informed what the character is, and all the brothas wanted to get in on it. As for the Yellow Ranger, in the pilot, the woman playing that role was Latina, she was later replaced by Thuy Trang (RIP), who was of Vietnamese descent. From the OG Black Ranger's mouth, there was no racism linked to this, and he loves the color black, so, there you go. I love it too, and it's hard to choose a favorite when I'm gaga over Kimberly, the original Pink Ranger. She just blinds my overall scoring system of these people.
Oh thats sucks she dead. I didn't know. Thats a real bummer. I kinda wish they would discover eternal youth already. Good news they actually found a cure for Alzheimers and Tumors in mice and they're testing it on humans now.

Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles and Pokemon were the defining things for me as a kid.

Last edited by SG854,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol