Any risks to using r4 with ds lite?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Axel_Foley, Sep 9, 2010.

Sep 9, 2010
  1. Axel_Foley
    OP

Newcomer Axel_Foley Newbie

United Kingdom
    I was wondering if there are any risks involved in using a r4 with your ds lite. Such as viruses etc, which could possibly lead to it been bricked.

2. Gariscus

Member Gariscus Former Team Cyclops Mod

Australia
    DS viruses are basically non existant. Just be careful what you download.

3. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Well with the wrong R4 Clone you do run the risk of blowing a fuse, but that's about all I know and that normally happens with flashcard clones/fakes
    Still if you get an R4 like this one, you should be just fine

4. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    There have been one or two homebrew viruses that can basically brick the DS lite in the past, but they're extraordinarily rare and nobody has distributed it.

There's no risk in using an R4DS on your DS Lite, the only thing that you need to look out for is that you don't buy a fake R4DS.
    Any R4DS that claims SDHC or DSi support is fake, and anything else silly like Ultra, King, etc.
    They don't pose any threat to your DS Lite, but they have crappy software support and are generally unreliable.
    If you get an original R4DS like this one at shoptemp, and install Wood R4, it'll play mostly every game just fine.

5. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Well there are some cards that have been known to blow fuses, like Fake DSTT or N5 to look out for

6. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    If it's an R4i, R4 Advance, R4 Upgrade etc you run the risk that people will think why on earth didn't you buy a better flashcart. People will also be able to point and you and say, N000000b.

If you get an R4 get one from ShopTemp as it will run Wood, read the Wood guide in my signature. Remember they only use MicroSD cards upto 2GB. Otherwise consider the Acekard 2, EZ-Flash Vi or DSTWO in order of how much money you have.

You won't get a virus, and it won't harm your DS.

7. Schicksalsheld

Member Schicksalsheld GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    No one distribute this Viruses (CrashMe) at this Time, but its possible (i have Taihen on my Harddrive =)

8. gifi4

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    just be careful with what games you download, I remember there was a DQIX rom that bricked your ds, it was right before DQIX came out also.

9. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I think the only risk you may encounter is to your sanity while fumbling through various firmwares trying to get the latest games working on an R4. There are so many clones and knock-offs calling themselves R4 that it's not even funny anymore. Very few of them have active firmware support by the people who made them, so you are reliant on the good graces of hackers to provide you with a firmware that fixes games. That just has to be more frustrating than it's worth.

10. slimpyman

Member slimpyman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i blew my fuse... sucked. no working ds.

11. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    xD I was never able to find that Taihen bricker on the net (though what I would do with such a thing, I have no idea).