Homebrew Question Any place to find N64 games specific conf files for retroarch?

Keylogger

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Any place where I can find specific conf files for each N64 games running on Mupen64+ NEXT core (retroarch)?

I use default config but a lot of games like goldeneye 007, perfect dark and Zelda MM are slow and/or crashing

Goldeneye running at 20 FPS with latest retroarch and max OC :s

Reactions: Zukov

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Majora's Mask runs perfectly for me, 1.5 oc, 540p, framebuffer off, fullspeed.
Goldeneye frambuffer off, VI refresh 2200, framerate fullspeed, 1.5-1.7 OC, but it will stutter from time to time, it is how it is.

You won't find game specific configs anywhere... Its the thing you have to play with yourself. If it stutters badly, try lowering the res, overclocking, and trying turning on/off framebuffer emu, these are the main options that affect emulation speed quiet dramatically. If it still stutters, no option will magically make it fullspeed.

Last edited by bad361,
Reactions: Keylogger and Zukov

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Use the latest nightly build, if you are not the stable build does crash it freezes after 10mins of play and fully overclock apart from those options none run perfectly there are glitches but still very playable

Edit: I suggest use a proper nsp title like luigis mansion 3 as your redirection to the homebrew tab it does make a slight difference

Tbh with you I still use my wiiu for retro games I think it’s still a brilliant way of playing the classics on the go especially GameCube titles never gets boring it makes a great retro box

Last edited by Reecey,
Reactions: sillz and Keylogger

Keylogger

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Use the latest nightly build, if you are not the stable build does crash it freezes after 10mins of play and fully overclock apart from those options none run perfectly there are glitches but still very playable

Edit: I suggest use a proper nsp title like luigis mansion 3 as your redirection to the homebrew tab it does make a slight difference

Tbh with you I still use my wiiu for retro games I think it’s still a brilliant way of playing the classics on the go especially GameCube titles never gets boring it makes a great retro box
Yeah I also have a Wii U but N64 games doesn’t run as good as Retroarch on switch.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Majora's Mask runs perfect for me, 1.5 oc, 540p, framebuffer off, fullspeed.
Goldeneye frambuffer off, VI refresh 2200, framerate fullspeed, 1.5-1.7 OC, but it will stutter from time to time, it is how it is.

You won't find game specific configs anywhere... Its the thing you have to play with yourself. If it stutters badly, try lowering the res, overclocking, and trying turning on/off framebuffer emu, these are the main options that affect emulation speed quiet dramatically. If it still stutters, no option will magically make it fullspeed.
Thanks it works better now. Did you got Perfect dark working (multiplayer mode)? It crashes for me when a start a multiplayer game with bots

Last edited by Keylogger,
Reactions: Willsito_GG

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I also have a Wii U but N64 games doesn’t run as good as Retroarch on switch.
The wiiu you don’t need retroarch you can use the injector app for roms they run at full speed perfect performance much better than retroarch with their own icons. I never used retroarch on the wiiu. I do agree it’s more convenient and easier on the switch but like I said n64 emulation is not perfect very good but still not perfected.

Last edited by Reecey,

sillz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

SAME! I will never get rid of the Wiiu it runs retro games perfectly

Reactions: Reecey

Keylogger

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
>Goldeneye running 20fps
So Fullspeed then?
No
Fullspeed is 50fps for EUR and 60 for US rom

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The wiiu you don’t need retroarch you can use the injector app for roms they run at full speed perfect performance much better than retroarch with their own icons. I never used retroarch on the wiiu. I do agree it’s more convenient and easier on the switch but like I said n64 emulation is not perfect very good but still not perfected.
Lot of games doesn’t run well on Wii U VC
Goldeneye doesn’t work at all

sillz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lot of games doesn’t run well on Wii U VC
Goldeneye doesn’t work at all[/QUOTE]

Goldeneye runs well for me on Vwii on the Wiiu

Reactions: Reecey

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Any place where I can find specific conf files for each N64 games running on Mupen64+ NEXT core (retroarch)?

I use default config but a lot of games like goldeneye 007, perfect dark and Zelda MM are slow and/or crashing

Goldeneye running at 20 FPS with latest retroarch and max OC :s
I suggest using Lakka or Switchroot Android for emulation. There is no OpenGL support in HOS therefore everything runs using software rendering, which is too much for the Switch in 3D games.

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I suggest using Lakka or Switchroot Android for emulation. There is no OpenGL support in HOS therefore everything runs using software rendering, which is too much for the Switch in 3D games.
What? psx/dc/psp/ and n64 as well have an amazing compatibility in HOS already. Of course lakka/android is still a better option cause of drivers, but most of the games run fullspeed in HOS and you don't need to overcomplicate things by switching back and forth between HOS and lakka/android and loosing some basic key switch features like a proper sleep, bt joycons, docking, playing a switch game right away etc... Imo using lakka/switchroot only makes sense if you want to play gamecube/wii roms or some specific stuff that still performs badly in HOS like MvC2 or Garou in Flycast. I have a lot of psx/psp/dc roms and 95% of them runs perfectly. So, saying that old 3d games run poorly in HOS RA (or in other Standalone app) is an understatement.

Last edited by bad361,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
What? psx/dc/psp/ and n64 as well have an amazing compatibility in HOS already. Of course lakka/android is still a better option cause of drivers, but most of the games run fullspeed in HOS and you don't need to overcomplicate things by switching back and forth between HOS and lakka/android and loosing some basic key switch features like a proper sleep, bt joycons, docking, playing a switch game right away etc... Imo using lakka/switchroot only makes sense if you want to play gamecube/wii roms or some specific stuff that still performs badly in HOS like MvC2 or Garou in Flycast. I have a lot of psx/psp/dc roms and 95% of them runs perfectly. So, saying that old 3d games run poorly in HOS RA (or in other Standalone app) is an understatement.
I was mostly thinking of N64, but yes, you are right, PSX is easier to emulate than N64 (DC also probably but I haven't messed much with that), surprised PSP runs full speed without hardware acceleration though.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Horizon homebrew has had OpenGL/Hardware Rendering support for over a year :thonk:

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Most games are full speed if configured properly :P
Usually performance issues come from using fbemu and/or the RDRAM settings without any overclocking iirc.
Ah right, I had forgotten how big of a performance hit framebuffer emulation has. It's been a while since I've emulated N64 on anything weak enough to actually struggle with that :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.