RetroArch and N64 Emulation Stuttering

deezly

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to get RetroArch and N64 emulation working smoothly but have no luck. Most games I've played on it are really choppy, both audio and video.
I've been reading around the forums and reddit and cannot seem to find an answer. I was wondering if this is normal and N64 runs like garbage on the Switch, or if its me.

I've been making sure that I'm running RetroArch with title passthrough so it gets full ram, and I am also using the Mupen64-Plus-Next core as well.

sley

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Overclocking helps quite a bit and as a last resort enable threaded rendering at the cost of higher input lag.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to get RetroArch and N64 emulation working smoothly but have no luck. Most games I've played on it are really choppy, both audio and video.
I've been reading around the forums and reddit and cannot seem to find an answer. I was wondering if this is normal and N64 runs like garbage on the Switch, or if its me.

I've been making sure that I'm running RetroArch with title passthrough so it gets full ram, and I am also using the Mupen64-Plus-Next core as well.
yes most N64 games need CPU and GPU overclock to run smoothly though on here you will find idiots going "no you only need to overclock the cpu"

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no most N64 games don't need GPU overclock to run smoothly though on here you will find idiots going "no you need to overclock the cpu and gpu"
you indeed do and its crazy to me how people keep spreading this lie. even something 2d like paper mario requires it. or dumb people just use docked mode and consider that not overclocked in comparison to handheld. spoiler 307Mhz (or even 460Mhz) vs 768 Mhz makes a big difference some games like Conker even need 921Mhz. of course this assumes you arnt a clown playing them at 240p

Last edited by deathblade200,

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N64 emulators aren't optimized for Horizon OS, but it will definitely improve eventually.

How would I go about overclocking it, and what's considered safe?
Yes, you can do in Retroarch setting but don't expect to be 100% smooth.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1