Homebrew Any news about VNDS for 3ds?

ReiTheNameless

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I did download times ago TwilightMenu++ to run VNDS on my 2ds, and I do remember that there was a 3ds port of the thing at this moment but I also remember it being cancelled, so I was wondering if there's any new project about porting it on the 3ds or something like that. (Also, before writing this I went on the GitHub page and found a 3ds version of the thing, but it only loads text)

felixsrg

Temp's Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
The only current active project to bring VNDS engine support for 3DS that I know of is this one: https://github.com/ajusa/VNDS-LOVE.

While being a work in progress, the engine works great on PC, Linux, MacOS, Android and Switch. However, 3DS support is still partially supported.

As stated on the project's Readme:
This is only partially supported and a work in progress. I do provide builds (3dsx files) for the Nintendo 3DS, however the image format that the 3DS needs is custom (.t3x) so PNG/JPG files do not work on it without being converted. At some point I do intend on writing a cross platform conversion tool, however that won't be for a while most likely. Text and audio still work fine without any conversion.

Performance on the 3DS is also lacking at this moment. You can see this being tracked in this issue.

I think it's still worth taking a look at the project as it progresses.

Reactions: Isegrim

ReiTheNameless

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Oh that's the one I tried, I should still try it again or try another build, it just didn't show the images, like, there was only the dialogues. Thanks.

felixsrg

Temp's Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Sadly, all I can find about the (.t3x) format is what the creator of VNDS-LOVE says on the FAQ section:

1. Where’s the 3DS version?
  1. As of right now, 3DS is not supported. The code pretty much works on the 3DS, however in order to play a novel you need to convert all of the image files to t3x textures, which requires Linux and knowing how to build software from scratch. If in the future LovePotion adds PNG/JPG support, then I would be able to spend more time porting VNDS-LOVE over to 3DS
  2. I would like to write a convert specifically for the 3DS version, however getting some of the files to convert requires a program that is only on Linux.

Another project you can take a look at is: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-higurashi-when-they-cry-3ds-port.492390/

That Higurashi port uses the VNDS-CLONE engine, which is used mainly to run VNDS novels on PSVita, to run Higurashi: When They Cry on 3DS. I don't know if the project allows running other VNDS novels on 3DS but you can ask around.

Reactions: ReiTheNameless

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up