Gaming Any gamecart that contains 11.0.0 Firmware on it?

Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I want to officially update an unmodified Switch to Firmware 11.0.0 (NOT the latest version) and I'm thinking that finding a game with that update on the cart would be the simplest option. Does anyone know of any game cart that has this update on it, if any? I'm more than willing to purchase any new game that has the update on it.

I already checked "Immortals: Fenyx Rising" and "Puyo Puyo Tetris 2" and both of them have 10.2.0 updates on cart. Which is just one version behind what I am looking for. I would imagine that something released within the last 3 months must have that firmware version on it, unless new games are always a few versions old.

ALSO: Would there be any way to verify what firmware version is on a cart before installing it? In a recent test I couldn't know what update was on the cart until I ran it.

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
all current games all start a requirement of 10.2.0. sorry only method atm is using daybreak for certain fw

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't know how complete or accurate this list is, but it suggests that cart releases jumped straight from 10.2.0 to 11.0.1, so if that's true you may be out of luck.

the games in that list for 11.0.1 are inaccurate as some of the games I have and still require 10.2.0

Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
If CFW is being used, then there's no reason not to use Daybreak to install 11.0.0 on a dirty eMMC, so I can't figure it out.

As I said: "I want to officially update an unmodified Switch to Firmware 11.0.0"

I could technically use "Match Local Users" to push an update from a modded Switch to an Unmodified Switch, but I am hesitant since I don't know how detectable that is and since I've never had to download system updates like that before.

@Elliander What is the purpose of the cartridge update to 11.0.0?

We have 4 Switch consoles (original model). Two of them use SXOS which are played offline. Two of them use OFW which we do take online occassionally, but would rather have the ability to play to play together via LAN mode over Online when given a choice. Basically, the objective is to be able to keep the OFW at a version that the CFW can be on to play together without doing anything that could potentially get the OFW consoles banned.

In hind sight, I probably should have just made all of them use SXOS and boot into online if and when we actually want to play online. We paid for a Nintendo Online Family Plan, but never really use it all that much. Usually I only go online to download game updates or system updates officially in order to install to the others via "Match Local Users" but I got really busy with school and delayed too long in keeping everything updated.

If and when the SXOS page becomes available again (it's been down for like 5 days) I might just do that since I have an SX Pro dongle for each of them already and I can run a lower version firmware on the emuNAND than the sysNAND. Alternatively, maybe I should set up the emuNAND now anyway. If I setup an SXOS emuNAND I can just activate the license file later, right? and as long as I never use any mods on the sysNAND there's no risk of being banned on it?

Note that while I might be interested in setting up a separate Atmosphere emuNAND for the purposes of ripping games that are higher than 11.0 if SXOS never comes back , for actually playing games we have always preferred image files over installations because it's way easier to move a game off and on an SD card than it is to install and uninstall constantly. That's why, for example, my 3DS still uses Gateway despite it not supporting the latest updates. I don't want to have more copies of a game on the Switches than I actually own and I never did understand why the Atmosphere people want to promote piracy by forcing people to do that.

In any case, for now though I just want to avoid accidentally updating the sysNAND with new games. I figure that if I get them all to 11.0 and if a game cart ever says that an update is required I will know for sure that it can't be used.

Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States

Well, I know for a fact that FW 10.2 is on the carts for both "Immortals: Fenyx Rising" and "Puyo Puyo Tetris 2" because I used both carts to update both the sysNAND (OFW) and emuNAND (CFW) of multiple Switches from 10.1.0 to 10.2.0

(EDIT NOTE: I always update the sysNAND before the emuNAND because otherwise, if fuses are burned when updating an emuNAND officially, it would brick my sysNAND. Just adding this note in for anyone who may read this later.)

Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 was released December 8th 2020 while Immortals was released on December 3rd 2020.

The most recent version available as of their release date was 11.0.0, so obviously the carts were loaded with firmware prior to the actual release date. More likely when they were ordered to be produced. Still, 10.2 was released September 14th 2020 which is at least close to the release date of the games.

Since 11.0 was released on November 30th 2020 while 11.0.1 was released just 11 days later I imagine that the only game that could have 11.0 on it would have to have been put into production between these 2 dates, but either way, they would have the FW on the cart since recent new games had it.

The practice of putting FW on cart makes sense for the same reason as Match Local Users and why Nintendo sucks at online: The target demographic would have the consoles far away from the internet for extended periods of time. They want you to be able to use the game you just bought in the event that you have no internet access.

Last edited by Elliander,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said: "I want to officially update an unmodified Switch to Firmware 11.0.0"

I could technically use "Match Local Users" to push an update from a modded Switch to an Unmodified Switch, but I am hesitant since I don't know how detectable that is and since I've never had to download system updates like that before.

We have 4 Switch consoles (original model). Two of them use SXOS which are played offline. Two of them use OFW which we do take online occassionally, but would rather have the ability to play to play together via LAN mode over Online when given a choice. Basically, the objective is to be able to keep the OFW at a version that the CFW can be on to play together without doing anything that could potentially get the OFW consoles banned.

In hind sight, I probably should have just made all of them use SXOS and boot into online if and when we actually want to play online. We paid for a Nintendo Online Family Plan, but never really use it all that much. Usually I only go online to download game updates or system updates officially in order to install to the others via "Match Local Users" but I got really busy with school and delayed too long in keeping everything updated.

If and when the SXOS page becomes available again (it's been down for like 5 days) I might just do that since I have an SX Pro dongle for each of them already and I can run a lower version firmware on the emuNAND than the sysNAND. Alternatively, maybe I should set up the emuNAND now anyway. If I setup an SXOS emuNAND I can just activate the license file later, right? and as long as I never use any mods on the sysNAND there's no risk of being banned on it?

Note that while I might be interested in setting up a separate Atmosphere emuNAND for the purposes of ripping games that are higher than 11.0 if SXOS never comes back , for actually playing games we have always preferred image files over installations because it's way easier to move a game off and on an SD card than it is to install and uninstall constantly. That's why, for example, my 3DS still uses Gateway despite it not supporting the latest updates. I don't want to have more copies of a game on the Switches than I actually own and I never did understand why the Atmosphere people want to promote piracy by forcing people to do that.

In any case, for now though I just want to avoid accidentally updating the sysNAND with new games. I figure that if I get them all to 11.0 and if a game cart ever says that an update is required I will know for sure that it can't be used.
The easiest solution would be to transition the SX OS systems to Atmosphere. If ditching SX OS isn't an option, then the next-best solution would be to create an Atmosphere emuMMC on the hacked systems for local play with the up-to-date clean systems. The clean systems will have to stay up-to-date to play online, and TX is unlikely to release any support updates for anything above 11.0.0. For these reasons, perpetually keeping everything on 11.0.0 will be overly cumbersome, particularly when future games are inevitably released that require system versions higher than 11.0.0.

Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
The easiest solution would be to transition the SX OS systems to Atmosphere. If ditching SX OS isn't an option, then the next-best solution would be to create an Atmosphere emuMMC on the hacked systems for local play with the up-to-date clean systems.

I don't consider Atmosphere to be a viable option because I'd have to install/uninstall constantly. Otherwise, I'd have more copies of a game installed than I actually own and that would be piracy. I get that people think of SXOS as the piracy firmware, but by allowing me the ease of using image files it actually ends up being the opposite in my case.

Of course, if the SX website never goes online again I may have no other choice since I would be unable to activate my licenses for the two consoles that haven't been modded. I'm guessing that I'd be able to convert an SX emunand that never had it's license activated? I also maintain numerous backups at multiple stages so if I do set up Atmosphere in some limited capacity and SXOS comes back I could always restore from a backup and activate a license at that time.

Can Atmosphere use SXOS Homebrew such as SX Dumper for dumping a cart or SX Save Manager? The two most important features of any CFW is the ability to dump games and the ability to manage saves. For game dumping I want to be able to dump as .XCI and for saves I already migrated away from Checkpoint.

The things that bother me about Atmosphere:

• No Stealth mode. I like how SXOS blocks prompts to update games and/or firmware as I live with people who have actually clicked that button by mistake. We also have an ethernet network attached to all the docks, so without stealth mode just booting into Atmosphere would be a ban risk.
  • No image file loading. They all have to be installed requiring me to uninstall them when moving a game onto another Switch to avoid being a pirate.
  • No USB access. While I personally have never needed to use a USB drive, I do regularly by games - especially limited run games because I prefer having hard copies over digital releases - and at some point in the future I expect I'd want to be able to use a hard drive.
  • The attitude of the people who push it creep me out.
That all being said, I have read about people in this thread who use Atmosphere and SXOS on the same emuNAND concurrently. If that is possible, it suggests that I could have an emuNAND that is made with SXOS, then setup with Atmosphere, and could be updated to the latest version within Atmosphere, but still be accessible as SXOS. Maybe on the newer firmware? If that is possible, then it would be a great reason to go with Atmosphere.

Reactions: livinitwarrior

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This thing about "having more copies installed than I own would be piracy" is a pretty arbitrary restriction you've made up for yourself - Nintendo would say that what you're doing is all piracy anyway, so if you're going to draw your own arbitrary line for your own peace of mind, why not just make it that you won't actually run the game on more Switches than you own copies of it, and get on with your day?

Reactions: OkazakiTheOtaku

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't consider Atmosphere to be a viable option because I'd have to install/uninstall constantly. Otherwise, I'd have more copies of a game installed than I actually own and that would be piracy. I get that people think of SXOS as the piracy firmware, but by allowing me the ease of using image files it actually ends up being the opposite in my case.

Of course, if the SX website never goes online again I may have no other choice since I would be unable to activate my licenses for the two consoles that haven't been modded. I'm guessing that I'd be able to convert an SX emunand that never had it's license activated? I also maintain numerous backups at multiple stages so if I do set up Atmosphere in some limited capacity and SXOS comes back I could always restore from a backup and activate a license at that time.

Can Atmosphere use SXOS Homebrew such as SX Dumper for dumping a cart or SX Save Manager? The two most important features of any CFW is the ability to dump games and the ability to manage saves. For game dumping I want to be able to dump as .XCI and for saves I already migrated away from Checkpoint.

The things that bother me about Atmosphere:

• No Stealth mode. I like how SXOS blocks prompts to update games and/or firmware as I live with people who have actually clicked that button by mistake. We also have an ethernet network attached to all the docks, so without stealth mode just booting into Atmosphere would be a ban risk.
  • No image file loading. They all have to be installed requiring me to uninstall them when moving a game onto another Switch to avoid being a pirate.
  • No USB access. While I personally have never needed to use a USB drive, I do regularly by games - especially limited run games because I prefer having hard copies over digital releases - and at some point in the future I expect I'd want to be able to use a hard drive.
  • The attitude of the people who push it creep me out.
That all being said, I have read about people in this thread who use Atmosphere and SXOS on the same emuNAND concurrently. If that is possible, it suggests that I could have an emuNAND that is made with SXOS, then setup with Atmosphere, and could be updated to the latest version within Atmosphere, but still be accessible as SXOS. Maybe on the newer firmware? If that is possible, then it would be a great reason to go with Atmosphere.
There's lots of misinformation in your post, and I probably won't address it all.

The only feature "missing" from Atmosphere is XCI loading. The time it takes to install an NSP/XCI file should be comparable to how long it takes to transfer an XCI file to the SD card, so unless you're using USB storage for your XCI files, there's no reason to use XCI files. Atmosphere can do everything else SX OS can do, usually better. Stealth Mode is broken, and 90DNS or Incognito are recommended instead anyway. There are save dumping and cartridge dumping homebrew applications better than TX's, etc.

Atmosphere also blocks Nintendo's online addresses by default, so Atmosphere carries less of a ban risk than SX OS. You also shouldn't be using CFW with a sysMMC/emuMMC that would ever connect to Nintendo's services.

Regardless of whether or not you like XCI loading more, SX OS doesn't support 11.0.1, and it will probably never support system versions higher than 11.0.0. Your predicament is unchanged, and the two solutions I gave you are your best options.

You can't use SX OS and Atmosphere with the same emuMMC when the point is to update the emuMMC to 11.0.1 and later.

Reactions: OkazakiTheOtaku

Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
This thing about "having more copies installed than I own would be piracy" is a pretty arbitrary restriction you've made up for yourself - Nintendo would say that what you're doing is all piracy anyway, so if you're going to draw your own arbitrary line for your own peace of mind, why not just make it that you won't actually run the game on more Switches than you own copies of it, and get on with your day?

It's not arbitrary. Nintendo doesn't decide what is legal and what isn't. They say that all modding is illegal as well, but that doesn't mean it is. My definition of piracy is fairly straight forward: If I don't own a copy that is in use it's piracy. If I do own the copy it isn't. Yes, Nintendo will say that even this is piracy, but that doesn't make them correct.

Case in point: Everyone called Gateway the piracy CFW, but what happened the moment it was out? Widespread piracy of the likes never seen before on the 3DS.

I also make a point that any time that I post any video online regarding use of CFW on any console (it's been a while) I show the physical copy of the game I physically own and I've never had to deal with legal trouble because of it. I mean, what's Nintendo going to do? Accuse me of stealing a game that I have a receipt for and is physically in my hand? No.

There's lots of misinformation in your post

Nope. Not correct.

The only feature "missing" from Atmosphere is XCI loading.

and stealth mode, and hard drive support. just like I said.

I am the only one in the house who actually does the technical stuff. I don't want other people to be installing or uninstalling anything. I want things to be as simple as possible so that things are not broken.

Stealth Mode is broken, and 90DNS or Incognito are recommended instead anyway.

Not correct. I keep all 4 Switch consoles in docks that are wired with ethernet for LAN play and the LAN is online. I have NEVER been banned because Stealth Mode does it's job. As I understand, stealth mode uses custom DNS anyway, which makes it the same as 90DNS. and Incognito only works by deleting certs so that when the console talks to Nintendo they don't know who to ban - which is an interesting approach, but not one that I'd want to fully rely on.

Regardless of whether or not you like XCI loading more, SX OS doesn't support 11.0.1, and it will probably never support system versions higher than 11.0.0. Your predicament is unchanged, and the two solutions I gave you are your best options.

And regardless of how you feel about what I choose to do, the fact remains that this type of off topic direction is exactly why I find the people who push atmosphere so creepy. I can't even ask about OFFICIALLY UPDATING AN UNMODDED CONSOLE without dealing with this. The more people push it, the less I want it.

An on topic answer might be, say, a list of game carts and what firmware is on each one, or a reference to discussions from people talking about it, or even alternative ideas to push the update.

Last edited by Elliander,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's not arbitrary. Nintendo doesn't decide what is legal and what isn't. They say that all modding is illegal as well, but that doesn't mean it is. My definition of piracy is fairly straight forward: If I don't own a copy that is in use it's piracy. If I do own the copy it isn't. Yes, Nintendo will say that even this is piracy, but that doesn't make them correct.
I agree that Nintendo's chosen definitions aren't accurate, that wasn't my point. But you talk about owning a copy that is "in use". I get where you're coming from with that, but again you've arbitrarily decided that a game installed on a console's internal storage (as opposed to, say, external USB storage), but not currently loaded into RAM and being executed, is "in use". Find me that definition in written law and I'll let you go, otherwise you're making your own life harder with your own arbitrary decisions.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. Not correct.
My intention is not to make this a conversation about SX OS vs. Atmosphere. However, you said some things that were not correct.

and stealth mode
Atmosphere has the equivalence of "stealth mode." 90DNS is effectively the same thing as stealth mode, and you also have Incognito (and Atmosphere's built-in Incognito function) as an option. As of February 2, Atmosphere also has dns.mitm, effectively blocking Nintendo DNS requests by default. Don't act like it's correct to say Atmosphere doesn't have "stealth mode."

and hard drive support.
Atmosphere cannot launch XCI files (other than to install them), regardless of where they are located. Atmosphere can do anything else SX OS can do, and more.

I am the only one in the house who actually does the technical stuff. I don't want other people to be installing or uninstalling anything. I want things to be as simple as possible so that things are not broken.
Tinfoil shops are pretty user-friendly. Alternatively, installing an NSP/XCI using something like Awoo Installer is as time-consuming as copying and pasting an XCI files to the SD card.

Not correct. I keep all 4 Switch consoles in docks that are wired with ethernet for LAN play and the LAN is online. I have NEVER been banned because Stealth Mode does it's job. As I understand, stealth mode uses custom DNS anyway, which makes it the same as 90DNS. and Incognito only works by deleting certs so that when the console talks to Nintendo they don't know who to ban - which is an interesting approach, but not one that I'd want to fully rely on.
Whether it's still the case or not, "stealth mode" has failed multiple times, and when it did, it allowed unfiltered traffic through. The safest ways to block connections to Nintendo are Incognito, Atmosphere's built in Incognito function, and Atmosphere's default dns.mitm. With Stealth Mode and 90DNS, you are at the mercy of something you have no control over, and in the case of Stealth Mode, that has gotten people banned. In the case of 90DNS, if it goes down, it should just cause the internet to not work instead of allowing unfiltered traffic through, but that's not guaranteed.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/did-nintendo-figure-out-a-workaround-sx-stealth-mode.579394/
https://www.reddit.com/r/SwitchHack..._os_stealth_mode_is_broken_in_latest_release/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/warning...ack-screen-after-9-0-0-update-attempt.549146/

And regardless of how you feel about what I choose to do, the fact remains that this type of off topic direction is exactly why I find the people who push atmosphere so creepy. I can't even ask about OFFICIALLY UPDATING AN UNMODDED CONSOLE without dealing with this. The more people push it, the less I want it.

An on topic answer might be, say, a list of game carts and what firmware is on each one, or a reference to discussions from people talking about it, or even alternative ideas to push the update.
Updating through a cartridge and staying on 11.0.0 indefinitely is not recommended for numerous reasons. You cannot guarantee the cartridge is going to update you to 11.0.0, and even if it worked, you would eventually run into the problem of newer games not working with 11.0.0. You also won't be able to do local play with others on higher system versions, and you definitely won't be able to use online play while on 11.0.0.

Like it or not, moving to Atmosphere or creating an emuMMC just for use with Atmosphere is the recommended solution to your problem. If you don't like my advice, that's fine, but you might want to avoid launching into pointless arguments with people who are only trying to help you and save you some grief. The point of my posts was not to proclaim Atmosphere as the superior CFW. The point of my posts was to address your specific issues.

Last edited by Lacius,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Slappity slap slap