Hacking any active projects its so quite now days

GrimReaperX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So is there any active projects going its so quite now days lol miss the old days when it was so busy with projects coming left to right makes me sad lol

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the PSP is 14 years old at this point... just about everything that can be done has been done. We have coldboot on latest firmware, we have lots of homebrew & emus, we have custom themes, we have backup loading... I'm not even sure what else there is to do.

ry755

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the PSP is 14 years old at this point... just about everything that can be done has been done. We have coldboot on latest firmware, we have lots of homebrew & emus, we have custom themes, we have backup loading... I'm not even sure what else there is to do.
Reading that actually made me kinda sad lol

crimsonwolf8439

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Translations.

riesyukira

Trophies
XP
Country
He meant active fan translations lol

Well anyway here's my input:
- .Hack//Link English Patch is almost done, they're finalizing editing and they're 49% done!
- 7th Dragon 2020-2 English Patch will get released this Q4 (Oct-Dec) by non other than Cavespeak! The same guy who did most of the 7th Dragon Games on the DS and PSP, so its safe to assume that it's good as done!
- Zero no Kiseki English Patch is most likely going to be released by early next year since they are at 75% done with editing, and No this isn't the alpha/beta patch that was riddled with bugs, its from a different group called Geofront/Esterior.
- Tales of Rebirth English Patch is still happening at least that's what the guys are saying at their Discord.

ArtistofLegacy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't know Tales of Rebirth was still going. Though they always said they were busy with life stuff when I checked the forum so it was hard to tell.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity picked back up with the programmer returning. I assume that means Sol Trigger will continue eventually too.
Zill O'll Infinite Plus is a thing but the guy doing it mainly posts about it on Twitter I think.
Kurohyou 1 and 2 might still be a thing but can't really tell.
There are Fate/Extra CCC and Persona 2 EP projects going on at https://iwakuraproductions.wordpress.com/
Someone's trying to get a translation for Frontier Gate Boost+ going.
I remember someone trying to do Tales of Destiny 2 too but idk what happened with that.

Reactions: wakabayashy

Kitsu-neechan

Coffee makes your kokoro go doki doki
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
zill o'll infinite plus is a thing but the "guy" doesnt really post anywhere nowadays :P
if you want status, it's basically as good as baked hacking vise. all the difficult parts of the hacking are done, and what's left is a couple cosmetic fixes (expand a text box, change japanese syllable categorizqation in biography menu to A-Z) and a couple new stringbuffers to get the job system to play nice. The guy working on the translation is someone with a high enough reputation of fantranslations so i wouldn't really worry about it not getting done (of course, zill o'll's script is absolutely ridiculously gigantic, so the workload is there for him to do.)

for my other things, utawarerumono portable is also a thing, fully hacked, 50% translated, currently halted due to translator being MIA.
evangelion girlfriend of steel 2nd was recently updated to 1.01 and im considering it as ready.

for the future, might go back to magna carta portable... maybe growlancer... maybe something else, god knows.

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DaedalusX64: https://github.com/z2442/daedalus
Further improvements to code optimization including more efficient maths and faster code for the Media Engine bring even further performance improvements.

Next release may bring a rewrite to the Media Engine's job manager, making sound processing perform better and bringing games such as F-Zero X, which were bottlenecked by the Media Engine, huge speedups.

DSonPSP v0.8 beta: https://github.com/TheMrIron2/DSonPSP
DSonPSP v0.8 plans to use modern PSP SDK optimisations and newer code to improve DSonPSP on a compatibility level and a performance level, in hopes of getting some games to be playable.

YouTube for PSP: https://github.com/coldscientist/tubeunblock

Last edited by zfreeman,
Reactions: cvskid

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2018-09-25-231125.jpg

I have one final project that I want to give to this amazing handheld. This time I want it to be user friendly, much cleaner source code and something that will hopefully be well accepted by the community.

Whaddap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
hi theree. do you know any update regarding tales of rebirth english translation progress?? :)

He meant active fan translations lol

Well anyway here's my input:
- .Hack//Link English Patch is almost done, they're finalizing editing and they're 49% done!
- 7th Dragon 2020-2 English Patch will get released this Q4 (Oct-Dec) by non other than Cavespeak! The same guy who did most of the 7th Dragon Games on the DS and PSP, so its safe to assume that it's good as done!
- Zero no Kiseki English Patch is most likely going to be released by early next year since they are at 75% done with editing, and No this isn't the alpha/beta patch that was riddled with bugs, its from a different group called Geofront/Esterior.
- Tales of Rebirth English Patch is still happening at least that's what the guys are saying at their Discord.

Arolandis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's also HD Textures to work on for PPSSPP with help from the new AI ESRGAN/SFTGAN image enhancements. FFIX and FFVII are having backgrounds enhanced with them with great results. Along with stuff done for Dolphin. (see Moguri Mod: https://sites.google.com/view/moguri-mod/ )

A lot can be done with PSP games too. Lots of PSP games use prerendered backgrounds and background art. I'm working on my own projects with this sort of stuff, starting with the Tri-Ace games, but not ready to show anything yet. I've 'Switched' to using my Switch (hee) to play my PSP games, and HD'ifying them for both portable and TV use has me pretty excited. The PPSSPP forums have a section for HD Texture packs now.

There are still games to translate (quite a few), as far as hardware-compatible projects are concerned. I'd love to have the other Tales games and Sting's games in english. I'd kill for a translation of the version of Tales of Phantasia included with Narikiri Dungeon X - It has a more fluid battle system, but I know that'd be too much work, and we have a perfectly good PS1 version translated by Gemini.

Anyway... I don't think interest in PSP has gone down, I think it's just gone in a different direction.

Whaddap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
There's also HD Textures to work on for PPSSPP with help from the new AI ESRGAN/SFTGAN image enhancements. FFIX and FFVII are having backgrounds enhanced with them with great results. Along with stuff done for Dolphin. (see Moguri Mod: https://sites.google.com/view/moguri-mod/ )

A lot can be done with PSP games too. Lots of PSP games use prerendered backgrounds and background art. I'm working on my own projects with this sort of stuff, starting with the Tri-Ace games, but not ready to show anything yet. I've 'Switched' to using my Switch (hee) to play my PSP games, and HD'ifying them for both portable and TV use has me pretty excited. The PPSSPP forums have a section for HD Texture packs now.

There are still games to translate (quite a few), as far as hardware-compatible projects are concerned. I'd love to have the other Tales games and Sting's games in english. I'd kill for a translation of the version of Tales of Phantasia included with Narikiri Dungeon X - It has a more fluid battle system, but I know that'd be too much work, and we have a perfectly good PS1 version translated by Gemini.

Anyway... I don't think interest in PSP has gone down, I think it's just gone in a different direction.

That reference on the Moguri Mod is crazy awesome mann! But yeah I just wish there's an update report / progress bar on the Tales series like Rebirth posted in gbatemp.. The rumors are that they are still being worked on but only a selected fews are privileged to see the progress... :(

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That reference on the Moguri Mod is crazy awesome mann! But yeah I just wish there's an update report / progress bar on the Tales series like Rebirth posted in gbatemp.. The rumors are that they are still being worked on but only a selected fews are privileged to see the progress... :(
"rumors" there's almost 800 people on the discord who can follow and/or ask for progress, if that's "few" than I don't know what measurement you use ^^

Reactions: Whaddap

Whaddap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
"rumors" there's almost 800 people on the discord who can follow and/or ask for progress, if that's "few" than I don't know what measurement you use ^^

Thanks for the Discord invitation StorMyu. It's my first time knowing Discord =)

Just a suggestion, if you have time maybe you can post the progress bar in gbatemp as well.

(so that noobs like me :P who only lurks in older forum like gbatemp can be updated)

TheMrIron2

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Yeah, we tend to be quite active on the Discord. Daedalus is picking up speed - most recently, z2442 caught an unnecessary piece of code that checks if we need to invalidate the Media Engine when we do it regardless, which gained us about 0.5FPS - and Perfect Dark Reloaded, while stalled, is still in the works. The WW2 shooter Project Enigma is paused until we can get PDR prioritised and figured out, but one or two mappers don't care about that and are continuing to spontaneously produce ideas for maps and concepts.
DSonPSP was called off because making it better than Yoshihiro's closed source final 0.7 would require months of work and a bigger team than, well, me and other sporadic contributors (we would need to rewrite the core of an existing DS dynarec to the PSP's architecture, which would inevitably mean lots of assembly, and then there's improving hardware acceleration and hand-tweaking code with assembly on top of that..) but otherwise, no projects have been cancelled in the last year or so. Everything is still going and there's even a secret shooter one defiant mapper is working on despite being told not to! So plenty to look forward to.

Side note: all these shooter projects will land on Vita via VitaQuake as well, but they are targeting PSP as the lowest common denominator to ensure performance is good on all platforms. PSP's Quake engine is honestly quite poorly optimised at the time of writing - audio processing eats up 20-30FPS of performance most of the time when it could be done for practically nothing on the PSP's second CPU, which is currently completely unused. So there's that to look forward to as well, which will likely result in any Quake-based games such as Nazi Zombies Portable, Counter-Strike Portable or the aforementioned projects receiving drastic performance improvements.
Edit: Here's a link to the Discord: https://discord.gg/bePrj9W

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: