Gaming Anti-virus

C

CasperH

playallday said:
I'm looking for a few FREE (with no registering) anti-virus programs, one for Linux and one for Windows. This is for my offline computer, so it really only needs to find viruses coming from drives and stuff, so a firewall is pointless.

Thanks!
Avira!

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I could send you my pirated version of Kaspersky with a key that won't expire till maybe October. And I can tell you how to update the databases while offline.

FlatFrogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CasperH said:
playallday said:
I'm looking for a few FREE (with no registering) anti-virus programs, one for Linux and one for Windows. This is for my offline computer, so it really only needs to find viruses coming from drives and stuff, so a firewall is pointless.

Thanks!
Avira!

I second this.

Antivir is probably the best free antivirus you are going to get: Top notch detection, light memory usage, low cpu usage, etc. It has a couple of disadvantages too like sometimes it can be overly sensitive, but they aren't that much of an issue backed up with common sense, at least you know its working.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First step is obviously to disable autoplay, second is strongly consider running as a limited user on Windows.

Next I suggest comodo internet security and you amp up the protection. It has a nice option of getting you to okay major changes to registry, system folders, access to services, access to other programs and the like (it acts as a more targeted and less annoying version of Vista's UAC, somewhat in line with a multi user version of linux). This is what you really want if you are going paranoid as just updating a database is pointless with current current malware.

Optional: you run a virtual machine and get it to how you want it before taking an image. Then only use such things inside your virtual machine, current virtual machines are very fast and if this is for simple stuff then all is good (games might pose a slight problem). Similar option is always use a liveCD/similar.

As for linux do you want AV for linux malware or AV that runs on linux but detects it all. I have fairly little experience with linux AV software (at least to the extent that I have with Windows, a situation mirrored by most people I should imagine) but stick with clam AV (I know it is manual but it works).

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
FAST6191 said:
First step is obviously to disable autoplay, second is strongly consider running as a limited user on Windows.

Next I suggest comodo internet security and you amp up the protection. It has a nice option of getting you to okay major changes to registry, system folders, access to services, access to other programs and the like (it acts as a more targeted and less annoying version of Vista's UAC, somewhat in line with a multi user version of linux). This is what you really want if you are going paranoid as just updating a database is pointless with current current malware.

Optional: you run a virtual machine and get it to how you want it before taking an image. Then only use such things inside your virtual machine, current virtual machines are very fast and if this is for simple stuff then all is good (games might pose a slight problem). Similar option is always use a liveCD/similar.

As for linux do you want AV for linux malware or AV that runs on linux but detects it all. I have fairly little experience with linux AV software (at least to the extent that I have with Windows, a situation mirrored by most people I should imagine) but stick with clam AV (I know it is manual but it works).
Already done. Autoplay sucks big time.

Sooo... Comodo will tell me if something is happening? Good or bad? I'm not a fan of virtual machine's because the only thing I'll be doing on this computer is playing games.

I want a Linux AV to find Windows viruses, just to be sure I'm 100% virus free
biggrin.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
playallday said:
Mind telling that to the various people I end up fixing/customising PCs for, more often than not I get a look a bit like I just trod on their pet when I disable it.

QUOTE(playallday @ May 7 2009, 03:41 PM) Sooo... Comodo will tell me if something is happening? Good or bad? I'm not a fan of virtual machine's because the only thing I'll be doing on this computer is playing games.

biggrin.gif

You can set what levels you want but as a broad stroke it monitors the system files/directories (stuff like the hosts file, windows directory and whatever else, for instance mine just flashed up when Flash decided it wanted to stick a file in the windows directory as part of an update check), the registry (I have it set to the critical areas as the registry is an unfortunate somewhat archaic part of windows and for every change I would be perpetually pressing OK), services, other files in memory (many games like to do this as part of their checks for stuff like daemon tools but it is also a hijack method).
I warn you though you need to know a little bit about the way a machine works if you want to go as paranoid as you appear to want to go (it will often flash up on the directX input (emulation and games naturally being major users of it) as a potential "keylogger" due to the way it works for example).
Basically it covers all the things malware needs to work "properly" (that is start/autolaunch and/or alter your system in a major way*)
You also have options to OK everything on an application by application basis, it usually appears as follows:
comodo.JPG

*some malware encrypts "my documents" or something similar and holds you to ransom, I have not seen any myself but it is out there.

As many will tell you though there is no way to be 100% safe other than no network or external devices.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
FAST6191 said:
playallday said:
Mind telling that to the various people I end up fixing/customising PCs for, more often than not I get a look a bit like I just trod on their pet when I disable it.

People like that shouldn't even have computers....

FAST6191 said:
QUOTE(playallday @ May 7 2009, 03:41 PM)
Sooo... Comodo will tell me if something is happening? Good or bad? I'm not a fan of virtual machine's because the only thing I'll be doing on this computer is playing games.

biggrin.gif

You can set what levels you want but as a broad stroke it monitors the system files/directories (stuff like the hosts file, windows directory and whatever else, for instance mine just flashed up when Flash decided it wanted to stick a file in the windows directory as part of an update check), the registry (I have it set to the critical areas as the registry is an unfortunate somewhat archaic part of windows and for every change I would be perpetually pressing OK), services, other files in memory (many games like to do this as part of their checks for stuff like daemon tools but it is also a hijack method).
I warn you though you need to know a little bit about the way a machine works if you want to go as paranoid as you appear to want to go (it will often flash up on the directX input (emulation and games naturally being major users of it) as a potential "keylogger" due to the way it works for example).
Basically it covers all the things malware needs to work "properly" (that is start/autolaunch and/or alter your system in a major way*)
You also have options to OK everything on an application by application basis, it usually appears as follows:
comodo.JPG

*some malware encrypts "my documents" or something similar and holds you to ransom, I have not seen any myself but it is out there.

As many will tell you though there is no way to be 100% safe other than no network or external devices.
Thanks, that's what I thought it did but I wasn't sure. And thanks for calling me paranoid
tongue.gif

Regiiko

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hijacking this thread to ask about disabling Autorun ...

How do you disable *all* instances of Autorun? Obviously I'm talking about audio/data/mixed CD (Thanks Windows for making my life so difficult), USB & anything else I'm missing?

FlatFrogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Regiiko said:
Hijacking this thread to ask about disabling Autorun ...

How do you disable *all* instances of Autorun? Obviously I'm talking about audio/data/mixed CD (Thanks Windows for making my life so difficult), USB & anything else I'm missing?

Unless you are super extreme ultra hyper paranoid about it and want instant fix, you could wait. Microsoft are meant to be phasing autorun out through updates for xp and vista to bring them in line with windows 7's style.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A way it to select the take no action and you be able to set it to "do this from now on". This is at best a kludge though. Note you can also hold shift to stop autoplay when clicking on a drive (ironically this was a way to prevent some copy protection working a while back: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/08/sh...eaks_latest_cd/ , the company actually went legal mode to try and prevent it http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/09/su..._sue_shift_key/ )

Easy way if you know your way around a system needing no extra tools:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715

Easiest way is to download something like xp-antispy ( http://www.xp-antispy.org/ ) or some other tweaking app and get that to do it.

FlatFrogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
A way it to select the take no action and you be able to set it to "do this from now on". This is at best a kludge though. Note you can also hold shift to stop autoplay when clicking on a drive (ironically this was a way to prevent some copy protection working a while back: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/08/sh...eaks_latest_cd/ , the company actually went legal mode to try and prevent it http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/09/su..._sue_shift_key/ )

Easy way if you know your way around a system needing no extra tools:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715

Easiest way is to download something like xp-antispy ( http://www.xp-antispy.org/ ) or some other tweaking app and get that to do it.

Hahahaha, stupid RIAA and co. When will they learn...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: idk how hot of a take this is, but science as a subject sucks