A miserable little pile of secrets
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Before constructing the impending wall of text, I'm going to write a bit of a preface to my blog.

My story is far from an interesting one to anyone who isn't myself. It's just your standard fare of insignificant details of my life going wrong, and if you don't care, don't bother reading it. I'm not trying to say that in a way to make you feel guilty or anything, but rather that I too understand the feeling of apathy toward the feelings of some random poster on an internet forum. Also note that I'm still in high school, so this may make my already insignificant problems of even less importance to some of you. If you do care, or presently feel extremely bored, then read on. Another thing is that even if people do post, I'm likely to not report back on the status of my situation, as I rarely discuss these things even with my family and close friends. This blog is more for me than for whomever may read it, as writing, and especially in this manner, helps me compose my thoughts and decide a course of action.

Now, on to the meat of this blog post.

There's a girl (yes, it's one of these stories) that I've known for a while as an acquaintance, but just started really talking to approximately a month ago. Well, I started to really like her, and flirt a bit in my own subtle (albeit not so subtle that she'd be completely oblivious) manner, and all seemed to go well. The last two weeks or so I've talked to her more than any of my closest friends on most days. I still didn't even have her phone number though, and knew I'd have to overcome my slight social retardation with these things and just ask for it. I almost walked away without doing so today (I had told myself I'd have it by today no matter what), but then mustered up the courage to make the request before we parted ways for the day. She registered the number into my phone, and I felt that sort of inexplicable joy that comes with an accomplishment of this nature, however minor it may be.

I later looked at the newly entered contact information, and noticed an oddity: the number was (excluding the area code for rather obvious reasons) 6141416. I can't help but notice the eccentricity of this number (look closely and the seven digits form a symmetry), and then the pessimist that usually hides away in my subconscious brought about the nagging worry that this was a fake phone number. The optimist in me, generally the more prevalent of the two sides, earnestly wants to believe this is a coincidence and nothing more, but that gnawing feeling that I was played like a fool won't easily go away. I've considered two different possible plans, and a third that my passive self will most likely act upon, although this last of the decisions will give me more temporary sadness.

My first plan is one that most in this situation would find a no-brainer to pick: send a text to the number I was given with an inside joke, to confirm or deny the authenticity of the number. Unfortunately, the only inside joke I could use for this involves calling her a child molester (jokingly, of course), and if this number does indeed belong to another, it doesn't require much use of the imagination to see how this could be a bad idea. What I most likely should do is contemplate another message to use, and just text the number.

The second plan is an odd one, but its accuracy is near guaranteed. My closest friend has previously texted this girl, and therefore has her indisputably real number in his phone. What I could do would be to text him, explain (without this level of detail) the situation, and ask what her number is. If the two match up I was worrying over nothing (and I currently hope with all my being that this is the truth of the situation), and if they don't, I'll just give up and be nothing more than acquaintances with her. The problem with this plan is that it exhibits a level of social awkwardness I would prefer to not display, as I've done rather well at keeping a facade of social normalcy. I will almost definitely not carry out this method of finding the answer I seek.

What will most likely happen is that I will do neither of the above, and just see how things go in the near future. Often (likely too often for my own good) I live a policy of taking things one day at a time and considering the past and future as little as possible. Unless someone bothers to convince me one way or the other, this will be my battle plan, rendering this entire blog null.

I feel greatly depressed by this general situation for no rational reason, but we all know that emotion and rationality do not go hand-in-hand. Just writing this, however, has helped to straighten out my composure, and I feel slightly better.

You've now read my unimportant story. Feel free to comment if you so desire, but as I've stated, this entire arrangement of words was more for me than for any interested reader. I will, however, check back on this at a later time tonight, and if any of you have advice of any kind, I am very open to hear it. Thank you in advance for any words of wisdom you might offer here, for those of you with more experience in this genre of issue than I.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PeregrinFig said:
I later looked at the newly entered contact information, and noticed an oddity: the number was (excluding the area code for rather obvious reasons) 6141416. I can't help but notice the eccentricity of this number (look closely and the seven digits form a symmetry
The word you're looking for is 'palindromic number.' A number that is the same backwards and forwards.

PeregrinFig

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BobTheJoeBob said:
PeregrinFig said:
I later looked at the newly entered contact information, and noticed an oddity: the number was (excluding the area code for rather obvious reasons) 6141416. I can't help but notice the eccentricity of this number (look closely and the seven digits form a symmetry
The word you're looking for is 'palindromic number.' A number that is the same backwards and forwards.
Ah, palindrome, that was the word I couldn't remember. Do you find that as strange as I do? It seems hard to believe it's just a coincidence, although it is possible.

MaxNuker

GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Portugal
just text to her something like:

Hey "Her Name" , Its "Your Name" How are you?

something like that... if she says something like "hmmm its not (her name)" then you just say something like "sorry, wrong number" and that way you might find it out... lose that fear
smile.gif

L_o_N_e_R

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
http://www.whitepages.com/reverse_phone

it might help a bit, although it will only tell you the general location of the phone's are code

so if you have an idea of where she lives(stalker
tongue.gif
jk) you can see if she gave you the right number.. most likely if she didnt give her phone number she wont give the same area code of her real number

another way is to call the number... but that might lead to awkward scenarios

then again you can borrow your buddy's phone and just say your phone ran out of battery and you gotta call home

PeregrinFig

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
L_o_N_e_R said:
http://www.whitepages.com/reverse_phone

it might help a bit, although it will only tell you the general location of the phone's are code

so if you have an idea of where she lives(stalker
tongue.gif
jk) you can see if she gave you the right number.. most likely if she didnt give her phone number she wont give the same area code of her real number

another way is to call the number... but that might lead to awkward scenarios

then again you can borrow your buddy's phone and just say your phone ran out of battery and you gotta call home
I actually know where she lives, it's maybe a mile from me, and she has the same area code I do. It's just the fact that the number she gave me is a palindrome that rouses my suspicions.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Just google the full number with the area code. If for some reason it's one of those joke numbers, you'll know. Otherwise, just text it and find an excuse to use her name.

Hedgehogofchaos

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My friend picked a phone number like that so he could remember it easy.

And depression is not fun. I battled with it and gad. I've managed to deal with the depression. The anxiety is still something I'm working through. I don't think this girl would lie to you, but if she did it would say a lot about her character.

And remember if you do end up dating her (for a significant amount of time and when you feel comfortable) you should tell her about your depression. Keep in mind she's not a therapist though.

Good luck!
And are you doing anything at all about your depression?
Because from my experience it just get worse. To the point of where you end up hospitalizing your self or worse.

PeregrinFig

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a serious issue with depression, hell, I only feel depressed maybe two or three days a year on average. This entire week has been more stressful than usual and the day's events just added to the pile. In a few days I'll be fine, I'm positive of it. At the moment of writing this blog, though, it really helped me melt away some of that stress I had built up.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you're exchanging phone numbers, I'd trade mobile numbers; if she has her phone with her it's a good idea to get the number, then dial it. If it's correct she'll receive the call and also your number which she can save directly.

BobTheJoeBob said:
That's two words.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/sGvT5FKSiyk?si=TYqsdjjbF-4N8Xc8