Hardware Another Best PSP Model discussion, my thoughts.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Duller/Less bright != worse...
Ah, in that sense.

Well, it really depends on the approach. I personally like my screen bright because I *actually* use my portable *outside* (I know, isn't that weird? Not in the sarcastic sense, but you don't get to see that very often...) so a good backlight is essential to me.

Besides, I try to build my personal ranking on more than just "screens", the 200x is, to me, the best of "both" worlds - it has a brighter and high-quality screen compared to the 100x and at the same time it's fully hackable and it has high built quality compared to later models. It's just... "durable".

Although I must admit, the 300x looks somewhat "prettier", especially the Monster Hunter limited edition. That is, if "pretty" can be conscidered a quality here. I'm a bit pragmatic so I tend to ignore that factor unless something is downright ugly (Hello, E1000. The only pretty part on that build is the Start/Select/Volume panel. Futuristiiiic...).

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I agree that the 2000 is ultimately the best all rounder but there's something about the build quality of the 1000 that's appealing. It's UMD tray is the best and it's got a reassuring "heft" and a metal trim!

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I agree that the 2000 is ultimately the best all rounder but there's something about the build quality of the 1000 that's appealing. It's UMD tray is the best and it's got a reassuring "heft" and a metal trim!
Yeah, I miss the slider for the UMD Tray. Actually, I'll add that to the ranking right now, I completely forgot about it.

EDIT: There, all done. Now I can watch Doctor Who and read for pleasure knowing that my work here is done.

Syrous

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys.

So I read through the whole thread and weighed your opinions against my needs and found out what is right for me is a PSP Go. I'm upgrading from a launch PSP-1000 that has always worked flawlessly (largely due to me ignoring it for several years thinking that it had no games that interested me). But since I very recently started reading up on the available games/homebrew/emulation a new interest has grown in me. The reason I want to upgrade is the lack of video out. Now I read around for a while pickung up bits and pieces of info but I'd like to confirm something:

Is it possible to have a permanent CFW on th PSP Go asuming it has been updated to the latest OFW?(trying to create a worst case scenario here).

Its not a big deal having to load the CFW every time I turn on the console, I'd just like to know.

Thank you everyone for your input and opinions and especially the OP who actually went out and bought several different systems lol.

Edit: Typos.

superspudz2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
be advised, if you brick PSP-GO your screwed!
Pandora battery wont fit, and theres no way to recover from a bricked PSP-Go.
Better stick to the safe PRO-B7 and call it a day.
chances are youll never have to reload the CFW anyway.
if you Flick the top down, it goes to STANDBY MODE,
so the only reason to reload CFW is after a major system crash,
or battery goes completly dead.

thing about a PSP-GO is;
you need to buy a Cradle for TV-OUT
you need to buy a M2 card and sell your ProDuo cards and UMDs
you need to buy a Grip / Handle from dealextreme
you need to buy a extra USB Cable (from sony)
you need to buy a solar charger if your on a long trip.
but you Don't need to buy a Flip cover or hard case, just screen protector.

but PSP-Go is CHEAPER on ebay than other PSPs,
you can get a almost new for like $80, plus 16Gb built in.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
pro-b10fix is already out there. Also, every psp Go is 05g, so you'll be able to downgrade to 6.20 without worrying about bricking. If the firmware is lower than 6.20, just update to 6.20 and install 6.20 pro-b10+permanent patch. If it's higher than 6.20, downgrade to 6.20 and install 6.20 pro-b10+permanent patch, or you can just update to 6.60 and install 6.60 pro-b10 (no permanency, but you won't need to go through downgrading). I've heard that perma patch on a Go causes lag during cold-booting, so 6.60 pro-b (temporary) isn't a bad option.

Also, aside from the USB cable to connect the Go to the PC, everything is optional. In your case, you might want the tv-output cradle, though. The M2 card is only needed if you need more than the built-in 16gb flash memory. Screen protector, grip and solar charger aren't a necessity, but if you can afford them, there's no demerit in having them.

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2. The PSP Go
+Built-in memory
+Smaller size makes it a better portable
+No UMD drive ammounts for much higher battery life
-I would much rather have a Memory Stick Pro Duo slot instead of an M2 slot, but that's a minor issue
-No UMD slot also means no game dumping, which is unfortunate
-Integrated battery obviously means that it is not Pandora-ready, thus susceptible to full bricks
-IPL cannot be modified, thus Perma CFW is only available up to 6.20
-The UART port is different than in the 200x and 300x models, thus it needs a different headset and TV-Out cables
-No USB port means it's not compatible with PSP Add-ons

But does it though? Reading a few reviews for the system and they seemed to suggest that the battery life was similar to the 3000 which had a UMD drive.

Does anyone here actually use the E1000 though? That thing seems like it was made just so the Go looked better in comparison.

Edit: Uh, apparently I double posted. Whoops

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
The early 2000 model was the greatest IMO. Slimmer, much better buttons and d-pad, lighter, more memory, and fully hackable. The one negative aspect to all this was it's questionable build quality. It could crack easily compared to the 1000s. If only the build quality was as up to par it'd be perfect. Sold mine a while back and now I'm getting the first version of the WiFi Vita which looks very sturdy and usable. Perhaps that'll get hacked pretty soon and we'll enjoy some epic homebrew.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
But does it though? Reading a few reviews for the system and they seemed to suggest that the battery life was similar to the 3000 which had a UMD drive.

Does anyone here actually use the E1000 though? That thing seems like it was made just so the Go looked better in comparison.
As I said earlier, I meant battery time during the UMD drive is heavily used. When it's not, obviously they will have similar battery life.

As far as the E1000 is concerned, all I need to "review" it is two unpleasant run-ins with it. It smells, and that's that. Unless you REALLY don't care for WiFi and intend to use headphones/don't care for stereo sound, then you can go for it to your heart's content, but nevertheless, I won't recommend it over the 3000 or any other model.

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

As I said earlier, I meant battery time during the UMD drive is heavily used. When it's not, obviously they will have similar battery life.

ok sorry, mis-read. I never used my UMDs on my 1000 so I never saw the difference in usage

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PnFJMnYT0