Anker Power Core dilemma

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Sonic Angel Knight, Jul 14, 2017.

?

What should I do?

1. Buy a USB - C adaptor

100.0%
  2. Order a USB - C Power bank

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Okay so I need some community help with this one. I ordered a Anker Power core 20100 Portable charger, but I noticed that the one I got didn't have a USB - C port. It has 2 USB 2.0 and Micro USB. So I wasn't sure what I should do with it. I had got it for my nintendo switch and my Laptop which both have USB - C ports. So I was wondering, is it safe to use a USB adaptor with it or just get another one with the proper USB port?

I read from a flow chart that direct USB - C to USB - C is the best result for charging the system and not a USB 2.0/3.0 to USB C or any kind of Adaptor. People reported that playing games like Breath of the Wild will still drain the battery but just slower, instead of charging it, unless the system is fully inactive, in sleep mode or shut off.

The one I got was $40, but the one with usbc is $65 so I would like some insight on what I should do. :unsure:

2. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Its safe to use but USB-C uses more power than regular USB ports.

3. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    *usb 3.0
    usb type c is just the connector

4. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    I'm aware, USB 2 or 3 its pratically the same in terms of power, you're charging a device not transferring data.

migles likes this.
  5. orcid

orcid GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Australia
    If you have got a pro Controller, use the cable which came with the Controller.

6. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I do not. Unless there is a sale, I don't see myself paying $70 for that. :blink:
    what kind of cable is included with it, and is it confirmed to be reliable charging source for portable chargers?:unsure:

7. orcid

orcid GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Australia
    It is an usb- usb-c cable. I use it for charging my switch with my smartphone charger all the time and also with my power bank.

8. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    1. What power bank do you have?
    2. What game are you playing?
    3. Is the battery actually charging while you play or slowly drains? (percentage decreases)

9. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
  10. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Care to explain?
    1. Do yo have this?
    2. Have any positive things to share?
    3. What power bank do you have?
    4. What game are you playing?
    5. Is the battery actually charging while you play or slowly drains? (percentage decreases)

11. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    You'll be fine with an adapter, but it's the actual power output of your Power Bank that will matter. The Switch requires a lot of power when charging, so you'll need to make sure the power bank is able to deliver enough power so that the Switch actually charges instead of just loses power a little slower. I don't know the exact voltages tho, you'll have to find those out.

12. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    • Plug in the AC adapter and power your Nintendo Switch system from any 120-volt outlet. The AC adapter also allows you to recharge the battery, even while you play.
    • Input: 100 – 240 V 50/60 Hz 1 A
    Anker Powerbank
    • Capacity :20100 mAh / 74.37 wh
    • Output :5V / 4.8A
    • Input :5V / 2A
    Is this what you mean?

13. HaloEliteLegend

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    I believe I read somewhere that the Switch needs a 5V / 2A charge input to be charging, but I'm not sure. And I dunno where to look to find out how much voltage a portable charger's gonna need to actually charge the Switch while playing. I just know that if the battery pack isn't able to provide enough voltage, the Switch will still continue losing battery, only slower. Maybe someone else on this thread has an answer?

14. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    According to the info i unearthed... Lol, the switch requires 1.5 A of power and the power can output 2.4 A (or was it 4.2) :unsure:

Anyway I ordered another one, this one is USB C port and comes with 3 wires, USB C - USB -, USB A - USB C and USB A to USB Micro B. (Wish i ordered it first) But yeah I will find out next week if it will be put to good use, otherwise I'll just use it to charge random stuff like my PS4/PS3, WII U pro controller, 3DS, bluetooth headphones, speaker, or my sister's cellphone when she goes out. :ninja:

Can you believe, that newegg has a listing for it and says somewhere in the state of california a mandatory notice is required and says it can cause birth defects with the chemicals? O_O

15. HaloEliteLegend

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Lol for some reason, California always has weird mandatory notices. A world of difference going from there to up here in Washington.

I might be able to pick up a Switch tomorrow morning, heard there's a new shipment coming in at a local store. I do video reviews of tech products for this one website, and this week I was delivered two power banks to review. If I'm able to nab a Switch, I'll test 'em out w/ whatever voltages they have and see if either of them do the trick. All going well, I'll post my results here.

So I'm guessing you already returned the Anker one, yeah? Well, tell us how your new one fares!

Last edited by HaloEliteLegend, Jul 15, 2017
  16. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    No, I usually never give away my stuff, I never sold anything before, not even my games. I may have gotten a mix up item, but is not completely useless.
    Is still useful for things, is a powerbank after all. I can use it for my portable console capture card device, is powered by usb. Sure I would have liked to save $40, could have bought a game for switch or some food to watch anime with (eat and watch anime with) but is not like is complete useless. :P

After I get the other one and if i decided i don't need both, i will maybe try to offer it to someone around the neighborhood. :unsure:

17. HaloEliteLegend

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Hey, can't go wrong with moar power