Hacking ANiMeX R4i Revolution (www.ndsiLL.net) Unofficial Updates/RLS

animex2k9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
r4irevgreen.jpg

I'll be posting all my unofficial updates of this flash cart firmware here.

This is for the green R4i Revolution flash cart (www.ndsiLL.net).

New custom skin I've made: (Included in the v1.2 and later)
bgtopn.png
bg0l.png
bg4.png

Change Log:
QUOTE said:
v1.5
*Added a lots of new games to the database.

v1.4
*Fixed 5632 - Nanami no Oshiete English DS: Mezase TOEIC Master
*Fixed 5633 - Deer Drive
*Fixed 5634 - Scooby-Doo And the Spooky Swamp
*Fixed 5635 - Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 Professional

v1.3
*Fixed 5631 - Hidden Object Show
*Fixed 5630 Logic Cubes
*Fixed 5629 Hugo Magic in the Troll Woods
*Cheat database updated

v1.2
*Added a new custom skin I've made for this firmware.
*Fixed 5627 - LEGO StarWars III : The Clone Wars
*Fixed 5628 - Tron Evolution

v1.1
*Updated the Moonshell to 2.10 Child Zwai Edition.
*Returned the wifi config.
-WOOD4TT 1.25 firmware removed. (Not needed since I've updated the database of the official firmware.)

v1.0
*All latest games are now working with the official R4i firmware! (Pokemon Black and white AP patched, etc..)
*Replaced the wifi config icon with WOOD4TT 1.25 firmware. (Optional. Just run if you wanted to play on a WOOD4TT firmware.)

How to install:

1. Format your microSD.
2. Extract the package and copy all the extracted files and paste it in the root of your microSD.
3. Play.

Download:

ANiMeX R4i Revolution Unofficial Update v1.5 - Filetrip

Please report any bugs or problems when using my unofficial releases. Thanks.

xyrophile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you want, it's actually pretty easy to expand the menu structure on cards like this; my r4igold.cn uses essentially the same firmware. I'm sure you've worked out that the files have largely been renamed; the .bin files in plugins are renamed .NDS files and the ones in system vary (for instance cookie.dll is really ysmenu.ini)

Here's where it gets interesting; both iLL.iL (the boot file) and Plugins.bin are very slightly different versions of the same program. The first one is the menu you see when you boot up, the second is the menu you see when you select the applications item. The only ways they vary is the filenames of the roms they load and the images they use for each button state. The applications button just loads /plugins/plugins.bin and the back button in it just loads /iLL.iL.

Thankfully, these application and image filenames are encoded as plain ascii text in the binaries, so you can change what they point to in moments using a hex editor. By making more copies of the menu app, and pointing buttons at them, you can essentially create a system of "folders" and have a virtually unlimited number of buttons in the overall system. The text strings start around offset 352D0, and you'll notice you can also change the text displayed on the top screen in there too.

I made a system of this type for my card to replace the horribly ugly skin and better suit my favoured applications (I don't often use moonshell, so i'd rather bury it a few menu levels deep than have it suck up a spot on my main menu) until the slickness that is MENUdo pulled me away.

If you change filenames, just be sure to also change the filenames of the images each button state uses, and whatever you do, make sure the new filenames you point to have the same length as the existing ones - the last thing you want to do in a compiled binary is change the offsets of the code!
Even if you don't want to change filenames, I'd suggest replacing the basic "Wifi test" app with a copy of Airscan, since it does everything the former does and more.

If you're so inclined, you can convert your FW over to a more standard DSTT style file structure as well; the only filename that's hard coded is iLL.iL, and with a few minor config file tweaks, you can make a standard ysmenu/ttmenu/wood4tt setup work perfectly. Plus, if you do that, updating the dats just becomes a case of copying the new ones over without having to rename them.

Impactgreen

Trophies
XP
Country
dw, i must have screwed up... I formatted and installed v1.3 and now every thing works, cheers! now I don't need to carry around a second cartridge

animex2k9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v1.4
*Fixed 5632 - Nanami no Oshiete English DS: Mezase TOEIC Master
*Fixed 5633 - Deer Drive
*Fixed 5634 - Scooby-Doo And the Spooky Swamp
*Fixed 5635 - Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 Professional

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
have the same exact cart, gonna try your firmware.

btw, maybe you should look into getting some .NDS loaders for those other unofficial firmwares that might work with this one (with a little tweaking on your part). that should help with people having a "backup/fallback" firmware of sorts, or even just as an optional firmware, much like the one you did by replacing one of the icons, only this time as a separate .NDS file.

oh yeah, keep working on this, eh? there's only a handful of us with this cart, i think, so only a handful would be grateful, but grateful nonetheless.
smile.gif

wallpaper looks sweet.
happy.gif

EDIT: ...well, firmware works and loads. 'cept it won't load roms. homebrews load just fine, but the roms somehow won't. the bar jumps up to roughly 80% and stops there. I've changed nothing out of the original package, save for updating usrcheat.dat. I'm gonna try formatting again, this time moving my games out of my "Games" folder and putting 'em on the root directory (and also renaming them to shorten the name). hope it works. especially Plants VS Zombies.

EDIT2: no dice. 1.4 doesn't work for me. will try 1.3, like previous poster.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
animex2k9:

I´m acquiring the same green R4i LL card right now, do wood TT work on it? I need to know this! You said it was working but 1.25?? Thank you very mucho. =)

kennysabaw

Trophies
XP
Country
I have the same cart and I'm very happy that someone's doing projects like this. Keep it up!

I tried ur v1.4 and i think we have the same problem with ferofax:
ferofax said:
EDIT: ...well, firmware works and loads. 'cept it won't load roms. homebrews load just fine, but the roms somehow won't. the bar jumps up to roughly 80% and stops there. I've changed nothing out of the original package, save for updating usrcheat.dat. I'm gonna try formatting again, this time moving my games out of my "Games" folder and putting 'em on the root directory (and also renaming them to shorten the name). hope it works. especially Plants VS Zombies.

Except 1.3 still doesn't load the ROM.

Kindly check what's up. Thanks!

And one question: Do I still need TTMenu to play Pokemon Black/White? Cuz I've got a Pokemon Black AP but i still keep getting the -4 error.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
kennysabaw said:
I have the same cart and I'm very happy that someone's doing projects like this. Keep it up!

I tried ur v1.4 and i think we have the same problem with ferofax:
ferofax said:

Except 1.3 still doesn't load the ROM.

Kindly check what's up. Thanks!

Well you could start by format using the following:

FAT32: 32KB cluster size

FAT16: (if above 4GB, 64KB cluster size), 16KB if ever possible (2GB or less).

Also, I have the same R4i LL (the green plastic one ), WOODTT works wonderful (except cheats & Wii connection ability), and also I´ve tested this version. Works excellent on most games. I´d say you have a different hardware chip which means, a custom dldi.

You should try WOODTT first to see if it boots, then look for one of my posts, I extracted the proper dldi driver from this card, and patch both WOODTT & ANiMEX modified kernels with this one. If all else fails, then stick to your official card´s kernel, extract the dldi file, and patch these loaders I mentioned before. Also, you should try a different micro SD, because these cards tend to love most shitty MicroSDs but rather hate the better ones.

Cheers

kennysabaw

Trophies
XP
Country
Coto said:
Also, I have the same R4i LL (the green plastic one ), WOODTT works wonderful (except cheats & Wii connection ability), and also I´ve tested this version. Works excellent on most games. I´d say you have a different hardware chip which means, a custom dldi.

You should try WOODTT first to see if it boots, then look for one of my posts, I extracted the proper dldi driver from this card, and patch both WOODTT & ANiMEX modified kernels with this one. If all else fails, then stick to your official card´s kernel, extract the dldi file, and patch these loaders I mentioned before. Also, you should try a different micro SD, because these cards tend to love most shitty MicroSDs but rather hate the better ones.

Cheers

Like can u give me an idiot's guide to Wood? I'm new to NDS's.:\

Thanks for the help btw, so much appreciated.

EDIT 1: Nvermind, I saw a topic about Wood firmware. I DLed Wood for DSTT compatible for R4i DSiLL. I read the instuctions and it says that I have to copy 2 files to my memory card's root: "_rpg" folder and the "_DS_MENU.DAT" file.
But I'm stuck until there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT 2: Fortunately, I've found Coto's files and I've downloaded your repacked WoodTT for r4i and it boots perfectly well! My games run perfect too! Pokemon Black boots perfectly but pokemon's not gaining EXP. Will try to find for an AP version.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
You welcome =), I just used a dldi extractor SifJar & all the tempers suggested me back in that post.

However, I´d suggest to stick to YSMenu´s (ANiMEX R4i FW) because larger Save files like Pokemon B&W causes corruption to your memory card while on WoodTT, careful on that.

Cheers

yusei_fudo

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Excuse me, can i ask something??? just how the can you make a skin for this firmware??? Pls, help meee!!!! i need skin... thx.
nds.gif
yaynds.gif

PokemonTrainer?

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hi,

Sorry I posted this here but on your WOOD4TT white screen fixes page says that the topic is locked.

I wanted to ask you if you could do a white screen wood4tt patch for okamiden (usa). Thanks.

also your Mario and sonic at the winter Olympic games patch wont work it says tagret mismatch or something like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb