ozzyzak

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hello tempers, I've got a question for ya.

I don't watch much anime, but lately I've been itching to find some good stuff. I recently saw the first episode of Death Note on adult swim, and am wanting to know if the rest of the series is as cool as it would seem. It looks awesome, just wanted to know.

Also, what else is good? I'm generally into stuff like Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Serial Experiments: Lain, Trigun etc

Like I said, I don't watch much but I guess I prefer the Action stuff but not too kiddy. I don't find myself liking Naruto a whole lot.

I still contend that even non-anime fans would like Cowboy Bebop.

I wish I could provide more info about what I want to watch but I really don't know. Action or humor would probably be the best and even mild doses of sci-fi/occult kinda stuff would be sweet too.

Any suggestions?

moozxy

hamboning
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I found Death Note to be amazing till the very end!

I'd recommend Elfen Lied, it has a bit of everything.
For humour watch Lucky Star, and it does get better after the first ep.

Nthenorm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
-Code Geass: Main character is kinda like Yagami Light, shares some similarities with Death Note and Gundam SEED

-Gurren-Lagann: Simple, yet over-the-top super robot anime. One of the best mecha animes I've seen in a long long time.

-Darker than Black: kinda like Cowboy Bebop, but the setting isn't as sci-fi

-Ergo Proxy: by the same people who did Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop. Not as much action, and background story is confusing as hell

-Claymore

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish I could provide more info about what I want to watch but I really don't know. Action or humor would probably be the best and even mild doses of sci-fi/occult kinda stuff would be sweet too.
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a comedy with a touch of supernatural.

Kanon is a comedy/romance, but has a very original and "touching" story

moozxy

hamboning
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I wish I could provide more info about what I want to watch but I really don't know. Action or humor would probably be the best and even mild doses of sci-fi/occult kinda stuff would be sweet too.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a comedy with a touch of supernatural.

Kanon is a comedy/romance, but has a very original and "touching" story

I'm currently watching Kanon right now, over half way through and I can say it is an awesome anime! Haruhi is great aswell!

Kyuzumaki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well Bleach and Naruto are pretty good if u want a big series but u probably know that.

Full metal Alchemist -
Good if a little kiddy, about alchemy?!? You'll just have to watch it to understand quite a cool idea

Cowboy Bebop -
Very good much better than the name of it sounds. Sci-Fi space fairing bounty hunters yet not overly
zelous with futuristic stuff

Gunslingergirl -
Surprisingly good though a bit odd (currently watching it!) Would explain more but it's more fun
to figure out whats going on as you watch

Black Lagoon -
also good guns and complicated plots but may be out of your age bracket...some episodes are a bit
dodgy (Just realized this topic wasn't started by linkiboy doh. Age comment retracted)

Hack Sign & Roots -
I liked it but you could also hate it's guts depends on you. It's set inside an MMORPG

Gungrave -
Very good and well animated. The name gives you alot of clues.

Hellsing -
Pretty good anime about vampires and the undead hunting legacy of Van Helsing

Samurai 7 -
About samurai and super battle robots very good anime. Part of my alias comes from one of the
characters in it.

that should get u started
biggrin.gif

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I enjoyed Death Note, the end of the first arc (ep. 25) is hard for some fans, I won't say more than that, but know that the series takes a definite turn about halfway through.

Someone already mentioned Ergo Proxy, I watched the majority of it dubbed on Fuse, then finished the rest of it off by watching it online, not sure how I feel about how they ended it all, it was a fun ride though.

Berserk. Just pure mayhem and I loved it. I have the DVDs and the English dub is hilarious for better or worse, but luckily I can switch it off. The VA had a lot of fun with the series, one of my favorite parts is in the extras/bonus features it has a sync of them singing along to a Whitney Houston song. The anime series ended after episode 25 if I remember correctly, which only ended the first 2 or 3 arcs. And the manga is still going on, although I believe the PS2 and Dreamcast games tried to fairly well catch up to the manga. I stopped reading the manga, and will wait till I know it finishes, I don't want to be trapped not knowing what happens to Guts like Wheel of Time fans.

Mieki

Trophies
XP
Country
Claymore is damn good if you want lots of sword bashing and blood. And Gundam 00 is already showing, and so far WAY better than Seed (That is if you liked Gundam Z, if you havn't watched it, go watch it).

On the side note, I wuved Lucky Star. Waiting for Clannad to be finished so MOHS Season 2 would be out.

avant1277

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
IF you like Death Note, I would recommend Monster - it's an epic adventure / supernatural / detective story with a nice european vibe.

Other classics for me are:

Initial D - car racing anime - very addictive

Nodame Cantabile - rom com based around classical music - really fun

Azumanga Daioh - cute schoolgirl surreal comedy

Hajime No Ippo - boxing anime, very addictive

Lupin III - classic! Get the tv series and the movie Castle of Cagliostro

Bartender - cool anime about a cocktail bar

Yakitate Japan - an anime about baking, will make you want to either go to the bakers to buy cakes and danish pastries, or bake them yourself.

Ebichu - funny rude anime about a hamster and his owner, a single girl who gets fucked around by her boyfriend

Salaryman Kintaro - fun anime about a former gang leader who gets a job at a blue chip company

Mushishi - interesting anime about ghosts

There's loads more but the above anime you might not have come across and are well worth checking out. Torrents can easily be found using google.

Tenkaichi

Trophies
Website
www.livejournal.com
XP
Country
United States
Let's see...

@Kyuzumaki: I agree with Gunslinger Girl; the problem is that the anime finished before the manga really *got* anywhere... this I understand from reading what's out
dry.gif
Still good though.

I just finished Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann (show that aired last season) so I'll second whoever else mentioned it. Super robot mecha anime, but they're not exactly... "Gundams," for lack of a better term. Honestly? The whole thing is over the top in a good way and the action keeps on happening. If you pick this up and find it slow, it WILL pick up. Great OST (soundtrack) as well, though there are a couple left out I think. The style reminds me of Samurai Champloo since there's some rap influence in some of the songs, don't ask me why... I'm not checking sources right now for composers or anything.
27 Episodes

You asked about Death Note - Honestly, I didn't watch all of the anime but I read Omni's blog summaries on Random Curiosity in addition to having read the complete manga beforehand. The episode I did watch captured the characters well, and it follows the manga faithfully up to a certain point. It's good though - I found myself asking, "Who is the protagonist? I'm not so sure." You primarily get the main character's perspective though.
37 Episodes

Another mention for Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (Hangyaku no Lelouch?). This actually aired in the same season as Death Note, so there's a lot of main character comparison... except that Lelouch is cunning but doesn't... I dunno, seem as "godly." Action.
25 Episodes, not including DVD specials.

Since I've been unloading my x-drive, I think Full Metal Panic! deserves a mention. A member of an anti-terrorist group has to protect a high school girl. Wait, let me finish. The kicker is that the member (Sagara Sousuke) is basically a trained soldier and has to protect her as a transfer student as she attends school... so basically, he has no social skills. It develops into action and mecha (a little bit of sci-fi-ish, since uh... this other stuff doesn't exist), and the comedy comes from Sousuke and the female lead Kaname Chidori. Give it a shot - it doesn't span three seasons for nothing, although the second season is mostly about their school life, but the third one launches into an entirely different scenario.
24 Episodes, season 1
13 Episodes, season 2 and 3

Ah one more! For pure comedy, I highly suggest School Rumble. Basically it's a romantic comedy between the lively characters in high school. At first, I had a problem with liking one of the characters, but the constant interation with each other made me warm up a bit. There is also a second season that operates in the same fashion - making gags, but what surprised me was that all the gags were fresh - you'd think two seasons of a comedy would have either repeats or something that just gets really old, but I found it refreshing. The manga is just as good a read, but I think watching it is even better because you get a sense of how the characters could sound like.
happy.gif

26 Episodes, both seasons

Kyuzumaki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there was talk of another gunslingergirl series. It may continue on and follow the manga but I don't know the source may be a rumour

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
Jungle Wa Hale Itsumo Nochi Guu. - Crazy and funny, there's some really funny video game joke in there where I laughed til I cried.

Mahoujin Guru Guru - Very lamely drawn but so fun where they make fun outta rpgs

Hajime No Ippo Clippo - Very good boxing anime. Has some funny jokes too
wink.gif

Angelic Layer - First anime series I ever saw, and it's really cool.
smile.gif

Full Metal Panic - Pretty fun mecha series

Full Metal Alchemist - Pretty kewl series about two brothers' journey to save the world.

Prince of Tennis - Awesome series about a tennis pro who kicks ass outta everyone
biggrin.gif
he's almost too confident
wink.gif

delta123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Shakugan no Shana - About a torch with a mistes in him that can regenerate his exsistance at midnight every night, and a flame haze that is using the cover of protecting him as a way to be close to him. season 1 - 26 episodes
season 2 - so far 3 episodes. also some specials Sakugan no Shanatan and Shaugan no Hecatetan. (action, drama some comedy)

Hayate no Gotoku! - About a boy who`s parents left him with a huge debt. which was paid off by a rich girl who he accidently asked out without knowing. the boy is paying back the girl by being her butler. (action and comedy) season 1 - so far 30 eps

D.Gray Man - a young boy who becomes a member of the Black Order, an organization of members known as Exorcists. Their mission is to stop The Millennium Earl, an evil being planning to cleanse the world by destroying all humans and life itself, with the help of his brethren, The Noah Clan, and of course, his creations known as Akuma. (supernatural) season 1 - sofar 54 eps.

Tennis no Ojisama - A boy comes back from America to play tennis at his dad`s old Junior High School. (sports, Comedy) tv series 175 episodes all up. OVA so far 14 or 15 i think.

jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Does anyone here know anything about the Devilman (Debiruman) anime series? My friend has the complete box set and he wants to know if it's worth anything.
I realise this is slightly of topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread seeing as all the anime fans are watching this one already. Hope that's ok with the OP
smile.gif

Anyways, it has all 39 TV episodes spread over 4 dvds in a collectors edition box set. Here's a pic:

devilman01jg9.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Well maybe lol