ROM Hack Animal Crossing: New Leaf Save Editor

soza

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, new to the ACNL editing scene and generally having a great time playing around with it. That being said, I messed up.

I edited a save and successfully changed quite a few aspects of my town. Once done exploring the new changes on my console I saved my game and further edited the garden_plus.dat file already on my computer.. which I imported to my 3DS. Since I didn't export my garden_plus.dat after saving the game and edit THAT version of the .dat, the newly imported garden_plus.dat causes me to get the "Could not load the save data because it is not the same as the previously saved game. Delete all data?" (I have backups of all my garden_plus.dat files but they appear to be useless, I have no backup of my entire SD card, just the garden_plus.dat files, which I assumed were all I needed if anything went wrong.)

Am I right in assuming there is nothing I can do?? Should I just restart my town and export the new, empty town, garden_plus.dat file then edit it manually with the online editor in order to match my last edit as closely as possible? Will I essentially end up with the same result minus the play time?

Best regards and thanks in advance, I know this is a common issue that someone on reddit figured out about a year ago, but alas, I didn't backup my entire SD card so I think I'm toast.

marc_max

OP
Trophies
Website
www.marcrobledo.com
XP
Country
Hello, new to the ACNL editing scene and generally having a great time playing around with it. That being said, I messed up.

I edited a save and successfully changed quite a few aspects of my town. Once done exploring the new changes on my console I saved my game and further edited the garden_plus.dat file already on my computer.. which I imported to my 3DS. Since I didn't export my garden_plus.dat after saving the game and edit THAT version of the .dat, the newly imported garden_plus.dat causes me to get the "Could not load the save data because it is not the same as the previously saved game. Delete all data?" (I have backups of all my garden_plus.dat files but they appear to be useless, I have no backup of my entire SD card, just the garden_plus.dat files, which I assumed were all I needed if anything went wrong.)

Am I right in assuming there is nothing I can do?? Should I just restart my town and export the new, empty town, garden_plus.dat file then edit it manually with the online editor in order to match my last edit as closely as possible? Will I essentially end up with the same result minus the play time?

Best regards and thanks in advance, I know this is a common issue that someone on reddit figured out about a year ago, but alas, I didn't backup my entire SD card so I think I'm toast.
You do not need a backup of your SD card. You just need the current secure NAND value. You can restore everything, do not worry :-)

Before you go through the next steps, I've read that you only keep your garden_plus.dat. You are missing the rest of files which include: StreetPass houses, stored letters and stored patterns. You still have a chance to backup them if you haven't restarted the game (which would have formatted them). Simply dump your savegame with save_manager and backup the entire folder. Then you will get those files back. From now on, remember that a backup includes all files, not only garden_plus.dat.
If you restarted your game then you've lost that information. Fortunately, it's not that important.

After getting a complete backup of your ACNL savegame, then follow these steps in order to make your old savegame valid.

1. Start a new game in ACNL until you can save (create additional players if your old town had them too).
2. Dump your new savegame with save_manager
3. Open your OLD garden_plus.dat with ACNL Editor, go to the Other tab and click on Secure value pencil icon.
4. Click on Update secure value
5. Browse and look for the NEW garden_plus.dat
6. Save changes.
-
Now you've got your garden_plus.dat fixed for your console, do not run the game now or you will have to repeat the process!
-
7. Copy your entire OLD savegame folder to the SD saveDataBackup folder.
8. Inject it with save_manager
9. Enjoy :-)

Alternatively, you could use svdt instead of save_manager, which updates the secure NAND value automatically. But it wouldn't work if you already injected an old savegame.
If you are a CFW user, then JKSV can do it too.

Reactions: Boytoxic38

soza

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just restarted, before getting all the other stuff backed up, but I'm going to run through your steps now and see what happens

If I didn't back up the other stuff before formatting you're saying this will still work as long as I backup the new data and update my old garden_plus.dat with ACNL editor??

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Trying to backup my new town data with SVDT to my SD card. When I copy files from the the root directory for ACNL over to the SD card and I get Finished! then an Error. Code: #FFFFFF using SVDT. Is this okay?

soza

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Kapp'n has disappeared from my "building:storage item bin" Poked around in the editor and tried a few things to get him to appear but to no avail. I noticed there's a building labeled "dock" on the editor as well, is this a PWP or directly related to him? Let me know what I can try, thanks.

chusski

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I start the game try to get 100%, atm only 62%. But i dont know why i can not send letters to other villager.
Get paper and write and add gift, but when i go to send all letters are locked i can not add to red storage for send it
Can help my ? plz

D

Deleted-410799

So Kapp'n has disappeared from my "building:storage item bin" Poked around in the editor and tried a few things to get him to appear but to no avail. I noticed there's a building labeled "dock" on the editor as well, is this a PWP or directly related to him? Let me know what I can try, thanks.
IIRC the dock is the dock and his boat with him in it, the bin is just the bin where the items go. From what I've seen the dock is usually placed outside of the editable area, so you gotta input the coordinates yourself.

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this has been asked already, but is there a way to essentially stop time? I want it to be cherry blossom season at all times. :)

Sopheroo

Actually Homestuck
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wait, i can put animals that doesn't have rvs in the campground? afaik only the welcome amiibo villagers can be in the campground, but i can put regular animals there with the editor

You can, but they don't get unique content in their campground vans - it's recycled from other villagers

D

Deleted-410799

Does anyone know how to fix the "Update your game" error? I've been trying to figure out how to fix it. I've tried updating my secure value and even tried editing my garden_plus hex so it's compatible with the last game saved. Thanks in advance!

Looks like using JKSM to move saves fixes this, no idea if it works for other people though!

D

Deleted-410799

Keon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using JKSM, I exported my old save data to a new folder, then put the save data i wanted to use in a different folder and imported those. I did it twice and it worked. When I used svdt or the acnl save manager my game would give me the same "Update your game" error.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-jks-savemanager-homebrew-cia-save-manager.413143/
So what if I had this one garden.dat file (before the Welcome amiibo update),where would I put it in JKSM to import it? Does it automatically become part of the welcome amiibo update?

Last edited by Keon,

imo_groom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Welcome amiibo update needs 11.2, so you cannot play it on your 9.4.
However, you can keep that old 3DS to hack ACNL savegames using homebrew. If you update that console, it will be harder to have access to homebrew.
thanks! i finally figured out homebrew and i got it down pact!! ty again ~

Antisocial

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it's using another font there? Have you tried injecting those characters into other places?
Yes, as part of my mayor's name I use the "X button" special character in it and that works just fine. I've also added a couple to some animal's catchphrases and they show up correctly there too.

edit: Wait, maybe I read that wrong. For the "H" and "I", no I haven't used those characters anywhere else. But all the ones I've tried worked everywhere else, it's only the TPC that I've run into this issue.

Last edited by Antisocial,

Goshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone have a copy of their "update.dat" file I can use, please? I deleted mine by mistake and now the game keeps asking me to update it even though it's already updated and I've tried re-downloading the update from the eShop with no results. I would really appreciate it.

EDIT: Nevermind, my brother found his copy of ACNL and I got the file from his instead.

Last edited by Goshi,
D

Deleted User

hi i just downloaded soundhax today and the first edits i made worked fine, i exported my original unhacked file, edited, put the new garden.dat into the folder and imported and it worked fine. then i took the SD out (i dont think i exported again wasn't sure if it was necessary) and edited nothing major, most drastic edit i made was moving villager houses and injecting two new ones, i imported it and the game showed up as if i had just bought it and asked if i wanted to move in or start a new save file. i took out my SD card and put in the second garden.dat i made with the first round of edits since that originally worked and imported it, same thing happened. i tried exporting the file again to see if that changed anything, put the most recent round of edits with the villager house movements in as the garden.dat file, imported again and same thing happened. i have all three garden.dats saved, the first without edits at all, second with some edits, and third with villager movements backed up to my desktop and im sure i did something wrong on my end as it worked the first time but i do not know how to fix it

Goshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone have a copy of their "update.dat" file I can use, please? I deleted mine by mistake and now the game keeps asking me to update it even though it's already updated and I've tried re-downloading the update from the eShop with no results. I would really appreciate it.

EDIT: Nevermind, my brother found his copy of ACNL and I got the file from his instead.

...and nope, nothing is happening still. I'm getting the same message asking me to download the latest update and launch the game again, and it's doing nothing.

Anyone know what I can do?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, https://youtu.be/9FcXxqthgUM?feature=shared&t=169