ROM Hack Animal Crossing: New Leaf ROM Hacking

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jinglefruit said, that there are no way to load the updated version via. hans. I need the preinstalled version of the game :/

Sorry, thats what I meant by retail (I had meant to type Welcome Amiibo's Retail copy, but I must have missed it) if its not preinstalled, it wont work in hans since hans can't load any dlc.

If you use eshop copy already, dumping the new (welcome amiibo) retail copy with braindump and compiling a cia to install will work as long as you delete the old eshop one from your system first.

Onzy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi, I've got a problem. When I build with RomFS builder, I open : romfs_ and I press Go but I've got nothing. What must I do please.. ? :unsure:

Marth_x3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I installed the welcome amiibo rom with FBI, dumped it with braindump and, created a romfs file and putted it in the hans folder (not the hans folder from my 3ds folder). When I activated the romfs file in HANS, it freezes and I don´t know why. I also tested Triforce Heroes without activating romfs file -> freeze.

What can I do?

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed the welcome amiibo rom with FBI, dumped it with braindump and, created a romfs file and putted it in the hans folder (not the hans folder from my 3ds folder). When I activated the romfs file in HANS, it freezes and I don´t know why. I also tested Triforce Heroes without activating romfs file -> freeze.

What can I do?

Sounds like a problem with HANS, make sure you're using the most recent version from smealum. Of that doesnt work, try to check the various HANS help threads, they may be able to help you more.

mental_lentil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kind of a weird issue I'm having - I installed a cia of Welcome Amiibo and imported one of my town backups to it and everything worked fine, but when I opened the game with HANS to view my custom edits, it told me my save data was corrupted. I started a new town, no problem, my edits showed up, but when I launched the game regularly from the home menu it again told me my save data was corrupted. I also still can't import my town's save data and play it with HANS without getting a corruption notice - I can only play it from the home menu. Does anyone know why this is happening and what I could do to remedy it?

Last edited by mental_lentil,
D

Deleted User

RomFS \Fg\Param\Fg.bin " is What doing?
I would like to change the collision of rock to grass
(sorry my bad english)

Alcuina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey! @deishido I'm not sure if you look at this thread anymore.. its been a while since you made a post, but here's to hoping. I made an account here just to see if I can help with model swapping in brand new models people make instead of just swapping with existing models.

I do game development for a living and have worked on several games as a modeler. I also know the rigging, weighting, mapping, and texturing end of it quite well.
I'm hoping I can help possibly if you bring me up to speed. I noticed in your older posts you said you brought the model into maya as a obj, or at least I think you said that.. If you exported that back into Nintendo's format, your model would have no weighting or skeleton and that could possibly be why your stuff shows up invisible in game but visible in that viewer.
I love animal crossing! Play it all the time when I have spare time, and think playing as an animal or just adding new clothing would be so fun!

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey! @deishido I'm not sure if you look at this thread anymore.. its been a while since you made a post, but here's to hoping. I made an account here just to see if I can help with model swapping in brand new models people make instead of just swapping with existing models.

I do game development for a living and have worked on several games as a modeler. I also know the rigging, weighting, mapping, and texturing end of it quite well.
I'm hoping I can help possibly if you bring me up to speed. I noticed in your older posts you said you brought the model into maya as a obj, or at least I think you said that.. If you exported that back into Nintendo's format, your model would have no weighting or skeleton and that could possibly be why your stuff shows up invisible in game but visible in that viewer.
I love animal crossing! Play it all the time when I have spare time, and think playing as an animal or just adding new clothing would be so fun!

Hello! I do check whenever there's a notification, but unfortunately it seems like there's not a lot of people still involved in this stuff or they've simply moved onto more interesting things. I haven't messed with anything seriously in about a year, and haven't done significant research into it, but if you know anything about adding bones and weighting to models that could bring a lot of good things to the scene.

Most recently, I was looking into replacing the player's head model with a customized one. (Or replacing a hat with the desired model, but that was a bust as well.) From what I can tell, player models are treated differently than other models and can't be swapped around with custom or official ones from elsewhere in the game. Any ideas?

Alcuina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! I do check whenever there's a notification, but unfortunately it seems like there's not a lot of people still involved in this stuff or they've simply moved onto more interesting things. I haven't messed with anything seriously in about a year, and haven't done significant research into it, but if you know anything about adding bones and weighting to models that could bring a lot of good things to the scene.

Most recently, I was looking into replacing the player's head model with a customized one. (Or replacing a hat with the desired model, but that was a bust as well.) From what I can tell, player models are treated differently than other models and can't be swapped around with custom or official ones from elsewhere in the game. Any ideas?

That's a shame! I guess I'm way too late. I hope I can possibly make things more interesting again.

Normally when I Work on a project I'm just handed the tools and told to do things a certain way and the tech team does the rest, hahaha. So if anyone knows the more technical aspects that would help!

I did some research from the time I last posted and it looks like nothing else in the game will swap over with the player, especially villagers.. because they are combined into one file, while the player is not (obviously for customization reasons) the player looks to many files. The tools you mentioned before are probably your very best bet because it looks like for example: If you want a different body or head you'll need to export them separately. The textures also need to be their own file. I've noticed you can export extra models and their skeleton from Ohana rebirth as DAE format, which does keep weighting and bone structure with the model. OBJ is a terrible format to use because you lose all information except the mesh. Ideally maybe you could possibly take out the players bones and weighting and make changes by adding a new model and weighting it to those bones. Only exporting the new head mesh with the information as the binary bcres file Nintendo uses.

I'll try to help break it down just a little more. Nintendo HAS to store weight information somewhere, and I believe that somewhere is in places like skt.bcres or or the legs Common.bcres. the animation data and I'm not sure if skeleton yet is for sure stored in things like humanAnimIndoor.bcres. The textures are also their own bcres. The animals on the other hand are all compressed into one bcres it seems. I may be missing something but they seem to pull their animation from the same as the human. so humanAnimIndoor.bcres ect...

I hope that helps so far... I'm still trying to learn where and what everything is.

Last edited by Alcuina,

Alcuina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Players base skeleton is a little taller than the villager skeleton which... Honestly I don't think will make a big difference if weighted well ( to be honest I didn't realize the player human was bigger than the animals...?). Should still be able to re-rout their mesh to the players skeleton if chopped up into pieces.

Clothing on the other hand should be extremely simple. Just change the mesh on the human for said body part and replace the one already in game ( all the clothing seems to be hooked up to the skeleton with weights in different files, like they should be.)

http://imgur.com/a/4OOTd

The animals also have an extra bone in their skeleton which I'm going to assume is for animals such as the horses that flop their jaw and possibly ones that also wiggle their snouts, aka useless for ones like Isabelle.

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Players base skeleton is a little taller than the villager skeleton which... Honestly I don't think will make a big difference if weighted well ( to be honest I didn't realize the player human was bigger than the animals...?). Should still be able to re-rout their mesh to the players skeleton if chopped up into pieces.

Clothing on the other hand should be extremely simple. Just change the mesh on the human for said body part and replace the one already in game ( all the clothing seems to be hooked up to the skeleton with weights in different files, like they should be.)

http://imgur.com/a/4OOTd

The animals also have an extra bone in their skeleton which I'm going to assume is for animals such as the horses that flop their jaw and possibly ones that also wiggle their snouts, aka useless for ones like Isabelle.

Its most likely the mouth or the tail. Are bones for the eagle and gorilla villagers still smaller than the player, I thought they were taller iirc.

When I exported, I only bothered chopping a villager head over the player one for the sake of simple testing. I figured keeping it simple would allow each hairstyle to be a different species, but I never quite got that far, Lol. I'll have to dig around for the files I had back then, I think it was on the old laptop

Alcuina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its most likely the mouth or the tail. Are bones for the eagle and gorilla villagers still smaller than the player, I thought they were taller iirc.

When I exported, I only bothered chopping a villager head over the player one for the sake of simple testing. I figured keeping it simple would allow each hairstyle to be a different species, but I never quite got that far, Lol. I'll have to dig around for the files I had back then, I think it was on the old laptop

Ahh.. You are correct that they use different bones between villagers. Seems they are all able to pull from player animations though with no deformations.

http://imgur.com/a/R1RAP

Reactions: deishido

Alcuina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey again,

Is it alright to share model files on here? I believe I have a test dummy Isabelle file cut up to "mimic" the player characters set up. I'm not really sure how one would compress it back into what the game is looking for, but I do have a maya file put together with fixed weights (none of the Isabelle files had weighting that looked right like the other animals.)
And all her eye/mouth textures are in it as well. She is cut up into lower/upper/head with weights and bones. Maybe someone here can give her a try?

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey again,

Is it alright to share model files on here? I believe I have a test dummy Isabelle file cut up to "mimic" the player characters set up. I'm not really sure how one would compress it back into what the game is looking for, but I do have a maya file put together with fixed weights (none of the Isabelle files had weighting that looked right like the other animals.)
And all her eye/mouth textures are in it as well. She is cut up into lower/upper/head with weights and bones. Maybe someone here can give her a try?

You can't post them here for legal reasons and you can't pm them either, however that doesn't mean the files can't find their way to someone with the appropriate setup to use them. I may be able to find our old laptop tomorrow evening, so you'll absolutely be able to send them to a private email address not affiliated with gbatemp. ;)

(if not mine, then someone else's. I'm sure I'm not the only one with the tools for the job around here. It may take me some time to get everything set up again, just a heads up)

curious. Has there been any rom hacks for NL for changing from a human to another villager or anything of that sort?

That's actually what this thread as has been stuck on for a while, but there's a possibility that this could change.

Last edited by deishido,
Reactions: Alcuina

Alcuina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey All! So I made Progress!

I'm still looking into character swapping but I can now swap basic non skeletal meshes. The information to do it needs to be emailed probably though.... Someone else can disclose how to do it if they want.

I used a model I made for another game just as a test dummy and seems to work great!

top_0000.png

Last edited by Alcuina,

Alcuina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Able to swap villagers out with new models of themselfs or really anything (to an extent)!

In this case I added a little Gem to Isabelle's hand for a quick test.

The game is REALLY and I mean REALLY picky how many polygons are attached to one character. if its over 1.5K or at least that seems to be the limit I've hit the game will instantly crash. With that said though fully changing your villagers is possible now!

Please ignore the name, been trying swap my character out with her pieces, aha...
top_0001.png
top_0002.png

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Able to swap villagers out with new models of themselfs or really anything (to an extent)!

In this case I added a little Gem to Isabelle's hand for a quick test.

The game is REALLY and I mean REALLY picky how many polygons are attached to one character. if its over 1.5K or at least that seems to be the limit I've hit the game will instantly crash. With that said though fully changing your villagers is possible now!

Please ignore the name, been trying swap my character out with her pieces, aha...
View attachment 93139 View attachment 93141

Oh wow, you've accomplished so much so quickly (I can't even find my workspace, ugh!)
I hope your findings help us all breathe new life into the game!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries