Hacking Animal Crossing:CF Loading Fix

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aside from having to pay off Tom Nook(again), the most frustrating part of City Folk is probably the excessive loading. Let's fix that.

Logically, because there is more surface area at the edge of a DVD, more data can be read in a single rotation. So, in order to make the game load faster, we must push all of the game data to the edge of the disc.

In order to do this, you need the following:

+ WiiScrubber
+ A scrubbed ISO of Animal Crossing: CF (roughly 450MB)

- Open your ISO in WiiScrubber, leaving all settings at default

- Right click on "Partition 1 - UPDATE" -- this is the partition we will use to relocate the game partition

- Click "Resize Partition"

- Change the current value to the displayed maximum value

- Burn ISO

Enjoy

B-Blue

slut
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Antarctica
The loading times aren't really that long (4-5 seconds max)
But I will try this now and see if there's any huge difference
smile.gif

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
B-Blue said:
The loading times aren't really that long (4-5 seconds max)
But I will try this now and see if there's any huge difference
smile.gif

They're tolerable if you haven't played Wild World or the original Animal Crossing(that was destined for N64; ie: no load times).

However, for such a simplistic game that wouldn't even fill up a CD-R, I think any loading past the initial town load is excessive.

B-Blue

slut
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Antarctica
ok I'm back and I didn't notice any difference, it's probably I did something wrong ...
Here's exactly what I did:

- Extracted the ISO
- Opened WiiScrubber 1.31
- Clicked on "Load ISO" to load the ISO (of course
tongue.gif
)
- Right-click on "Partition 1 - UPDATE" ....
qofty9.jpg

....and clicked "Resize Partition"
a9r81w.jpg

- Changed to maximum value
- Clicked "Scrub"

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
But the data is already pushed to the edge of the disc - the update partition is small but the garbage in the full iso pushes the data to the edge for faster CAV reading.

The GCN and Wii both run on this principle, which is why multi-disc images for the gcn were such a shitty idea (on the wii they are better - full 4.37gb means you can dummy up the first 1gb then have the data in the remaining 3gb).

Dr.Tenma

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Didn't tried it yet, but something is sure, loading time are more long than ones in ACWW.

EDIT : Btw does pal version works correctly with CFW ?

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
B-Blue said:
ok I'm back and I didn't notice any difference, it's probably I did something wrong ...

- Clicked "Scrub"

There's your problem.

It probably shrunk the partition back down.

Your resulting ISO should be the full 4.7GB.

quim69But the data is already pushed to the edge of the disc - the update partition is small but the garbage in the full iso pushes the data to the edge for faster CAV reading.

The GCN and Wii both run on this principle, which is why multi-disc images for the gcn were such a shitty idea (on the wii they are better - full 4.37gb means you can dummy up the first 1gb then have the data in the remaining 3gb).

Maybe you missed the point...

This was meant to speed up load times on the scrubbed ISO, which are, in fact, slower than a full ISO image.

Contrary to popular belief, some people actually download and pirate their Wii games(pun intended). For those people, a 450MB download makes a lot more sense than 4.7GB. The smaller ISO means it occupies less of the disc(lower seek times), yet the data ends up on the inner track, countering any performance increase there would have been.

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
teq said:
Maybe you missed the point...
This was meant to speed up load times on the scrubbed ISO, which are, in fact, slower than a full ISO image.
Contrary to popular belief, some people actually download and pirate their Wii games(pun intended). For those people, a 450MB download makes a lot more sense than 4.7GB. The smaller ISO means it occupies less of the disc(lower seek times), yet the data ends up on the inner track, countering any performance increase there would have been.
I think you've missed the point of scrubbing.

You download a scrubbed iso, the garbage is replaced with "000000000000000000000000" (which compresses to nothing) rather than the random sequence it was before "lkjsf0-dgik09rkp-k3209eiu09evf09uj9e" which doesn't compress very well.

The actual game data is still in EXACTLY the same position as the original virgin ISO. That is why scrubbed isos are 4.37gb when unarchived. You've totally got the wrong end of the stick with regards to what scrubbing does, sorry.

And a 450mb download makes absolutely no sense* when the image ends up raped (updates removed, as is the case with AC) and you get some bastardised rip when you could download a nice clean scene 1:1 release in not much longer. But that is another discussion.

*Unless you are Australian/NZ and have a 6gb a month download quota. :/

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quim69 said:
I think you've missed the point of scrubbing.

You download a scrubbed iso, the garbage is replaced with "000000000000000000000000" (which compresses to nothing) rather than the random sequence it was before "lkjsf0-dgik09rkp-k3209eiu09evf09uj9e" which doesn't compress very well.

The actual game data is still in EXACTLY the same position as the original virgin ISO. That is why scrubbed isos are 4.37gb when unarchived. You've totally got the wrong end of the stick with regards to what scrubbing does, sorry.

And a 450mb download makes absolutely no sense* when the image ends up raped (updates removed, as is the case with AC) and you get some bastardised rip when you could download a nice clean scene 1:1 release in not much longer. But that is another discussion.

*Unless you are Australian/NZ and have a 6gb a month download quota. :/

Do yourself a favor and look for the scrubbed version of AC:CF. You'll see that the ISO and total data both amount to 450MB.

Theoretically, the padding should still exist after removed, because the ISO retains the position of the end of one file and the start of another. However, 450MB is 450MB, no matter what you do to it -- it will always occupy the same surface area of a disc.

Now, as far as why someone would want a scrubbed and brick-blocked ISO, well, that's simple. On my connection, I can download 450MB in about a minute. A 4.7GB file would take me 10 minutes. Also, a brick-blocked ISO means I don't have to worry about losing the homebrew channel.

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dark_anth said:
i have an iso that has the update removed. what do i do? help asap

You only need the update if you have a WiiSpeak, and even then, you can get the IOS seperately. Just look around.

basketballguy743this didnt really help much lol

The majority of the read speed is governed by the Wii, with a lot of slowdown occurring with the cIOS running it in DVD_Read mode.

Moving the game data to the outside of the disc is the most optimal position for seeking, but even then, you're left with Nintendo's shoddy programming.

feidhlim1986

Trophies
XP
Country
My loading times with Gamma on PAL Wii are bout 8-12 Seconds, reviews of the game have stated loading times of 3-5 seconds anywho so there's not much we can do to fix it

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so I tried this with Animal crossing, and I was like...hmmm, ok, seems about 1-3 seconds quicker...maybe.

I thought, just to be sure, I'd try it with something with slow annoying loads...

first thing popped into my mind: Skate It!

tried this.....holy crap. HOLY CRAP.

No load time is even half what it was before (which is particularly weird cuz the game doesnt even scrub that well)

gonna try it on call of duty waw, see if I can get a few more "Breaks" from the constant reading that seems to go on.

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
noobwarrior7 said:
so I tried this with Animal crossing, and I was like...hmmm, ok, seems about 1-3 seconds quicker...maybe.

I thought, just to be sure, I'd try it with something with slow annoying loads...

first thing popped into my mind: Skate It!

tried this.....holy crap. HOLY CRAP.

No load time is even half what it was before (which is particularly weird cuz the game doesnt even scrub that well)

gonna try it on call of duty waw, see if I can get a few more "Breaks" from the constant reading that seems to go on.

Glad to see it's helping someone out.

You can't really argue against logic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo