Android OS on Switch Ultimate Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by LightyKD, Jan 24, 2018.

1. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    It's the SD card. Maybe there'll be some performance improvement with updates, but SD cards are making all the difference. I first flashed android to a 32gig Samsung, also U1, oldish but was a decent card, and I had slow boots, failed boots, stuck setup and random system freezes, just constantly. I finally got around to setting it up on my main 200gig Samsung, A1, not brand new but pretty modern, and it boots fast, setup went fine, and it's generally stable.

zona likes this.
  2. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Addict

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    yup that is what i am wondering
    not sure what the micro USB on the dongle if for or it is used for uploading payload files onto the dongle
    still not really sure what it is for , charging maybe?
    i thought the SX dongle charged by charging its caps from the power it got from the type c
    but maybe it only charged from the micro usb or it charges from both ports?
    i would like to know if the micro usb on the dongle is just for fat charging it or if it is for uploading payload files to the dongle too

3. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    The micro USB is for charging. It does charge over the USB C when connected to the Switch & not in RCM mode, but you can also charge it through the micro USB.
    SX dongles have a fixed payload built into them that can't be changed, it loads & runs boot.dat from the SD root. Normally that's SX OS, but you can use the SX Gear boot.dat to chainload a payload.bin of your choice.

weatMod likes this.
  4. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    I've been told that there's another new Joycon fix, as the previous one made Android think the joycons were an xbox controller. Any truth to this?

Asking because my controls for PokeMMO are qute fucky atm with the original Joycon fix.
    If true, any chance of a link please?

5. TheGreatBurglar

TheGreatBurglar Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2019
    United States
    Is anyone having trouble getting the shieldifier working properly? The apk installs fine but any time I select “games” it never fully loads any help will be appreciated

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

The
    res even times when the app just crashes lol

6. ElLelos

ElLelos Member

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2018
    Germany

Workaround that fixes the problem at my device WARNING - All Data gets wiped (factory reset):::
    -Put zips on SD Root (GApps and Shieldifier)
    -Boot TWRP
    -Wipe data - Dont reboot
    -Wipe cache - Dont reboot
    -Install zips
    -Wipe cache
    -Reboot
    -Hopefully ENJOY :D

If you have problems updating the shield app::: Downoad most recent apk at apkmirror - put on sd - install with any filemanager you like (enable unknown sources)

Last edited by ElLelos, Aug 9, 2019
  7. TheGreatBurglar

TheGreatBurglar Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2019
    United States
    Thanks I was able to successfully log on to my account and download android games

8. Jnks

Jnks Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2018
    France
    Which SD Card would be the best for this?
    Thanks

9. pcwizard7

pcwizard7 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 2, 2013
    Australia
    anyone haveing issues with nvidia should disable auto update and download and install this version of nvidia games. the new version is patched for switch

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/nvidia/nvidia-games/nvidia-games-5-22-26891545-release/

wicksand420 likes this.
  10. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    Samsung cards are recommended.

11. phillyrider807

phillyrider807 GBAtemp Regular

May 2, 2009
    United States
    Is there any fix for how finnicky the touchscreen is?

12. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Not so far.

13. wicksand420

wicksand420 GBAtemp Addict

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    Yeah, I noticed it too, I'll be playing blades and the screen will become non responsive for a sec, hopefully this can be fixed, because everything else is awesome.

14. Basketto

Basketto GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2019
    Australia
    Ive just been trying Mupen64, it does work reasonably well. However games freeze when selecting opengl video backend option. Is their a current solution to allow opengl on android? Or is this something that is waiting for an update. Any insight would be great tyvm.

15. omega92

omega92 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2017
    United States
    Hey I have my extra 5.0.1 switch layin around with atmosphere installed. I was wondering if I want to focus on emulation (16/32 bit main focus but I guess N64/DC would be cool as well) would running android on switch be better than retroarch on horizon?

Thanks in Advance

16. Yepi69

Yepi69 Jill-sandwiched

GBAtemp Patron
    Yepi69 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    You replied to a post when the games I mentioned weren't anywhere near to be announced for the platform.

17. username23bob

username23bob GBAtemp Regular

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    is there a way to backup your files. i bought a bigger sd but would like to keep my game saves, etc

wicksand420 likes this.
  18. wicksand420

wicksand420 GBAtemp Addict

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    I think you can transfer files with bluetooth, there are some other options also like wifi, or ftp, hopefully we can get mtp soon. you might be able to make a flash of your sd and flash it to another sd, but I'm not sure, I never tried it before.

Last edited by wicksand420, Aug 15, 2019
    username23bob likes this.
  19. HulkWogan

HulkWogan Member

Newcomer
    May 1, 2018
    United Kingdom
    It works really great with the shield tablet stylus.

hippy dave likes this.
  20. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2015
    United States
    Carmichael, California
    Which Shield Tablet Version? Regular or K1?