How to boot Hekate using SX OS PRO Dongle or Windows PC

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by PRAGMA, Jun 16, 2018.

1. PRAGMA
    OP

PRAGMA GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 29, 2015
    Ireland

1. Download Kosmos and follow it's installation instructions
      2. Keep your Nintendo Switch's microSD Card plugged into your PC

• Charging your SX OS PRO Dongle

1. Turn on any Device with a Type-C Port
      2. Insert your SX OS PRO Dongle into the Device
      3. It will flash blue/green then stay green once fully charged (< 10 secs total)

Running Hekate

1. Download the latest version of Hekate
        - Extract the .bin file to the root of your Nintendo Switch's microSD Card
      2. Download the latest version of SX OS
        - Extract the boot.dat file to the root of your Nintendo Switch's microSD Card
      3. Insert your microSD Card back into your Nintendo Switch
      4. Insert the Jig into the Right Joy-con Rail and Plug in your SX OS PRO Dongle
      5. Hold VOL+ and POWER (Usually 4-5 seconds is the total time it takes for SX OS to load)
        - If nothing happens after 10 or so seconds, follow the steps above to Charge your SX OS PRO Dongle and retry
      6. You are now in SX OS, you can click Boot Custom Firmware if you want to use SX OS but if you want to boot Hekate, click "Options" -> "Payloads" -> "Hekate payload.bin" and then click "Launch"
        - You can now remove the Jig and SX OS PRO Dongle if you want

• Requirements

• Jig (3D-Printed Jig's are 100x better but you can bend a paperclip as a Jig, search GBATemp for more info)
      • USB-TypeC to USB cable

Running Hekate

1. Insert your Jig in the right joy-con and DO NOT plug in the USB-TypeC cable yet (otherwise it will try charging your system and interrupt RCM Mode)
      2. Hold VOL+ and POWER (Usually 4-5 seconds is the total time it takes to enter RCM Mode)
        - If the Nintendo Logo appears, your Jig is trash, adjust it and try again after you FULLY turn off your system
      3. If nothing showed up on-screen as if you did nothing, Plug the USB Type-C into your Switch and the other end of the USB into your Windows PC
        - If you haven't installed the APX Drivers, please do so now by opening Zadig -> "Options" -> "List All Devices" and in the Device List choose "APX", in Driver Type, cycle the arrows until you select libusbK (v3.0.7.0) and click Install Driver.
      4. Download TegraRcmSmasher and extract the .exe from it (From the "Win32" folder in the download)
      5. Download Hekate and extract the .bin next to TegraRcmSmasher.exe
      6. Drag the Hekate.bin onto TegraRcmSmasher.exe and it should load Hekate on your Switch
        - If it shows a battery icon, then either, You werent in RCM Mode, USB Cable sucks (trust me can happen even with a top-of-the-line braided cable), USB Driver isn't valid or Jig Sucks

If you have any issues, post below and I can try help.

Last edited by PRAGMA, Nov 18, 2018
  2. Filo97

Filo97 Zelda's totally my sister! Not lying!

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    Why not use tegrarcmgui?

3. PRAGMA
    OP

Dec 29, 2015
    Ireland
    Personal preference and easier to follow imo. You could use the GUI variant all you want.

4. CTCaer

CTCaer GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 22, 2008
    Greece
    Hmm..

How to boot hekate with hekate?
    My modification IS hekate (- ipl).
    (ipl = bootloader).

(I love the tabs btw. I didn't know the forum had such organizing tools.)

Why use tegrarcmgui?
    With TegraRcmSmash you can just drag n drop the payload into TegraRcmSmash.exe. Easier, faster.

5. PRAGMA
    OP

Dec 29, 2015
    Ireland
    Means more of how to boot hekate with <payload> but sure.
    and yeah tabs are handy.

6. SexiestManAlive

SexiestManAlive GBAtemp Expert

Apr 18, 2016
    United States
    and the folders are way smaller than what the game was, sonic forces was 7 gigbytes, yet the folder is less than a gigbyte, please help, i have no idea whats going on

7. ivanmark52

ivanmark52 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2010
    I am noob so just to check. If I use this i won't have problem with battery calibration?
    That is just linux problem?

8. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ GBAtemp Maniac

GBAtemp Patron
    pLaYeR^^ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    You won't have battery issues.

ivanmark52 likes this.
  9. Jax_Ripper

Jax_Ripper Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2017
    United States
    It is not giving me the keys, if I write it to the pc. Do I just put it in its own txt file?

10. Arc_Ray99

Arc_Ray99 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    where is the RCMsmasher link

11. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
  12. Arch Feline

Arch Feline GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2007
    United States
    I downloaded TegraRcmSmash from git hub and I am not seeing an exe file or a folder named Win32. I have a visual studio file named Win32Def. I have the feeling I am not doing this right. With the Hekate I do not see a bin file.

13. PRAGMA
    OP

Dec 29, 2015
    Ireland
    https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Yeah no idea what happened, it definitely was in it, someone must have edited it out by mistake idk

14. Arch Feline

Arch Feline GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2007
    United States
    Thank you for your help! The minimal setup provided by your link has sys net cheats and I seem to understand the instructions. I am reading https://guide.sdsetup.com/#/

My 64 gb SD card arrives Sunday. I am playing a game (Okami HD) I beat on the WII but one race (Kai) is way, way harder than it was on the WII

15. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Maniac

May 28, 2015
    anyone got the full set up working for sx os, im simply wanting to boot so i can use the tools to find pointers when making codes.

16. PRAGMA
    OP

Dec 29, 2015
    Ireland
    This tutorial shows how to boot Hekate using SX OS, simply just follow that tutorial but instead of clicking options -> payload, just click boot custom firmware, done

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Late reply but that has been well fixed in newer versions of CTCaers's Hekate afaik, there's also a fix inside its tools menu if it occured to you. Afaik it cant happen anymore on newer hekate versions.

17. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Maniac

May 28, 2015
    ill try again tonight when i get back from work but im sure when i tried last time it said something like couldnt find an ini or something