Android emulation box?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With all the talk of Ouya, I decided to dig out my old Android Smart TV box and install Super Gnes on it. Unfortunately it doesn't have any bluetooth on it but it does have three USB input but I'm not sure if this controller will work with Super Gnes:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SNES-Retr...K_Controllers_Attachments&hash=item232c18a419

Another concern is that the sound quality isn't good. I'm not sure if this is because the media box isn't powerful enough. Is an Android device for emulation even worth all the effort or am I better off staying with the Wii's emulators?

Maverick Lunar X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Android devices are definitely more powerful, although I don't really know anything about your particular device. Take my phone for example, the HTC One: I installed RetroArch on it and am playing everything from atari Pitfall to Tekken 3 at full speed with sound. Mupen 64 AE is as well getting very far in emulation, playing some of my faves at full speed (Rareware games specifically, oh how I missed Jet Force Gemini). As far as I can tell, the Wii emulation has kinda hit its peak. Which isn't to say it isn't good, barring some input lag and third party controller issues, emulation on the Wii is incredible. Android however is a constantly evolving OS, with new hardware getting better and better.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I actually have an Xperia Z but I'm a bit wary of installing emulators on it. Don't get me wrong, the SNES emulator worked awesome on my two year old HTC phone but I HATED the touchscreen control.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey Harsky, google is releasing their own android console, so I recommend you into waiting for this:
http://news.yahoo.com/google-developing-android-videogame-console-report-230612684.html

If you want something desperatedly right now, I recommend you into buying Oyua.
Beware that there are some android emulators are still very raw, so some games may not work perfectly,
playing N64 on Oyua is a bit troublesome with slowdowns,
snes, neo geo, genesis and turbografx run fine, some slowdowns now and then, but nothing big.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was considering the Ouya purely as a retro emulation machine but the price is just too high. N64/PS emulation is not high on my wanted listed. Anything that can run the SNES is good enough for me. At the moment, I don't like my current Android media box because they have literally just shoehorned in a touch interface into something that you're suppose to use with a remote control. I'm sure I could tweak it to get rid of that but I'm not too keen on spending anymore time on it.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Of course, if android emulation is your wish, you can always opt for one of the many JXD tablets out there. Ive got the S7300 and using the TV out via HDMI its a perfect android emulation device (for what I play anyway which is SNES, Megadrive, Master System, NES, Neo Geo, MAME, GBA, PS1, some N64 to name a few)

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Of course, if android emulation is your wish, you can always opt for one of the many JXD tablets out there. Ive got the S7300 and using the TV out via HDMI its a perfect android emulation device (for what I play anyway which is SNES, Megadrive, Master System, NES, Neo Geo, MAME, GBA, PS1, some N64 to name a few)

Interesting. I had a look on Youtube and this video has some footage of it running the SNES emulator:

All I see is a very stuttery gameplay. Granted that is from Feb of this year but is the SNES emulator still not perfect? And which website did you get it from?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SNES emulation on the S7300 is 60fps with every game ive ever tried.

I got mine off ebay in the UK, but I believe a good place to buy them online is Willgoo.

Honestly, Im a sucker for very near perfect emulation. I hate even the smallest things like sound pops and frame rate stutters and with this, you get none.

For SNES i used SNES9xGX from the googlestore

If you want me to upload a video of any game you want to see, then let me know and ill put one on youtube and link to it

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SNES emulation on the S7300 is 60fps with every game ive ever tried.

I got mine off ebay in the UK, but I believe a good place to buy them online is Willgoo.

Honestly, Im a sucker for very near perfect emulation. I hate even the smallest things like sound pops and frame rate stutters and with this, you get none.

For SNES i used SNES9xGX from the googlestore

If you want me to upload a video of any game you want to see, then let me know and ill put one on youtube and link to it

So does that mean it can run Starfox perfectly? It's not a game I always want to play but it's a benchmark of how well I can get a SNES emulator to run. Also, the other big question is, does it also run GBA emulator perfectly? Can you also comment on the quality and "feel" of the device? Is it one of those "super light and plasticky" quality or does it actually have some decent weight to it?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It runs Starfox perfectly yes. You have to bear in mind that the framerate for the original cart wasnt very good so its not the best game to benchmark (if your just viewing)

GBA also runs flawlessly. Admittedly, Ive only got about 50 or so ROMS on there for GBA like your Metroids, Castlevania, Mario, Sonic, Golden Suns, Fzero, Mario Kart etc and again, they all run perfectly.

I wont lie and say the device feels premium in the hand because it doesnt. It does feel quite heavy though because of the 7" screen size. Its made of plastic but its sturdy enough and the most important thing, the controls are very good. DPad is of high quality, the buttons feel responsive when pressed. The analogue sticks are similar to what you find on a PSP albeit a touch larger but Ive barely used them to be honest.

Also, I just noticed that you are in the UK.

This is where I got mine from

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JXD-S7300...onsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item2a2aefa96c

If you check the guys feedback, you can see ive left some from 30th May (Kristianity1977) as this is where I got mine.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It runs Starfox perfectly yes. You have to bear in mind that the framerate for the original cart wasnt very good so its not the best game to benchmark (if your just viewing)

GBA also runs flawlessly. Admittedly, Ive only got about 50 or so ROMS on there for GBA like your Metroids, Castlevania, Mario, Sonic, Golden Suns, Fzero, Mario Kart etc and again, they all run perfectly.

I wont lie and say the device feels premium in the hand because it doesnt. It does feel quite heavy though because of the 7" screen size. Its made of plastic but its sturdy enough and the most important thing, the controls are very good. DPad is of high quality, the buttons feel responsive when pressed. The analogue sticks are similar to what you find on a PSP albeit a touch larger but Ive barely used them to be honest.

Also, I just noticed that you are in the UK.

This is where I got mine from

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JXD-S7300...onsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item2a2aefa96c

If you check the guys feedback, you can see ive left some from 30th May (Kristianity1977) as this is where I got mine.

Thanks! Also, what is the name of the GBA emulator you're using? And yeah I know the ability to play an entire library of roms in the palm of my hand is awesome but the price is just a little too much for me at this time.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The emulators i used on this all actually come from the same developer. The GBA one is called GBA.emu

Here is a link to all his on the store

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Robert+Broglia&hl=en_GB

Ive personally got the SNES one, NES, MD, GBA, Neo Geo and the GBC one.
There are some emulators admittedly which either I dont think the handheld is capable of "flawlessly" such as PSX and N64. To be honest, for me, if it doesnt work more or less perfectly, then im not interested in playing so I havent used these ones apart from at the start when testing out compatibility etc

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok thanks, I love my X but have not messed with a S yet.