Homebrew Android Amiibo Emulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

KobraXMW

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the YouTube description it says Cyanogenmod. Does this mean the app you are using requires Cyanogenmod specifically, or could this be possible with root access or another custom rom?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Lel, where do you get off being this entitled dude. It's his hard work and he can do what he wants with it.
That's exactly what JustPingo did. Announced something before it was a reality and it eventually failed (and ungraciously blaming the hype train he started - inb4 this gets "cancelled" for the same supposed reason). The lesson is to not announce something until you're sure of it. Rinne is a great example of what TO do - lots of useful software, and you don't hear a peep until the proof of concept thread. He had opportunities to create lots of hype due to what he released being something people were desperate for (nasa, with FBI being so terribly unreliable). But he was much better than that.

Also I'm not a dude.

Reactions: Supster131

YyAoMmIi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's exactly what JustPingo did. Announced something before it was a reality and it eventually failed (and ungraciously blaming the hype train he started - inb4 this gets "cancelled" for the same supposed reason). The lesson is to not announce something until you're sure of it. Rinne is a great example of what TO do - lots of useful software, and you don't hear a peep until the proof of concept thread. He had opportunities to create lots of hype due to what he released being something people were desperate for (nasa, with FBI being so terribly unreliable). But he was much better than that.

Also I'm not a dude.
But isn't this proof of concept? Only difference is he isn't planning to release due to legal issue?

Deleted member 371699

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Except we have been provided evidence (make of that what you will) of a working proof of concept, something KTM never achieved.

Its demonstrably possible on a Samsung S5 mini according to his video. The OP has shown us it's possible. It's up to other, more daring devs to figure out how. That's no fault of the OP, IMO.

It is better to be shown something is possible than to remain in blissful ignorance, no?

Last edited by Deleted member 371699,

sweis12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis

Also I'm not a dude.
Dude, this is a proof of concept. Like I said, I don't plan on releasing it. And I said I might make a dev blog explaining what I had done. Also, I MIGHT give someone like RyanRocks the source code to the app so they can do with it what they want(I want to have 0% responsibility for that). It is really basic right now and you are forced to use a specific version of Cyanogen Mod, so I doubt many people would even be able to use it. I just wanted to show that it IS possible, but again, I don't want lawyers knocking on my door.

Reactions: linkdead13

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you are forced to use a specific version of Cyanogen Mod
Hell, I wouldn't mind! lol.
If you know how to hack a 3DS, you probably know how to install custom roms on an Android.
Besides, Androids are open source, and Cyanogenmod is supported on a lot of phones!

HeyItsJono

Breath of Fresh Heir
Trophies
XP
Country

Also I'm not a dude.
First of all, it is a reality as the video demonstrates. Second; at the time of posting it looked like OP wasn't going to release and that the video was a proof of concept. Third of all; OP has provided a lot of useful info; primarily the hint at CyanogenMod. Pingo hyped the situation before writing any code, set multiple deadlines for himself which he failed to meet repeatedly, and misled lots of people by getting them to hold off on an upgrade with the promise of something safer, only to let 10.4 come out with still no release. This is a completely different situation and I have no clue how you're getting the two confused. In this case no one is being misled (unless it turns out to be fake, which I doubt), there is no harm to any users or any missed opportunity and the community is actually benefiting from learning that:
A) This is possible
B) It probably involves use of older versions of CM's HCE API from before the switch to the current official Android HCE API
There is no "lesson", there is simply personal preference, and just because it bothers you that people post POCs without an actual release, doesn't mean the rest of us should be deprived of a cool project the developer wants to share with us. Please stop being so bitter about a good thing. Also, dude has been colloquially used as a gender-neutral term for ages now, I have literally no idea why you felt the need to bring that up.

On the YouTube description it says Cyanogenmod. Does this mean the app you are using requires Cyanogenmod specifically, or could this be possible with root access or another custom rom?
From what I understand, older versions of CM (9/10) had their own HCE API which was far less restrictive and more feature-filled than the current official Android one (it was made before the official one's release I think), but CM devs switched to the official API with CM11. I would guess that that's why this requires lower firmware on your phone but I dunno.

And I said I might make a dev blog explaining what I had done.
This would be really cool!

Last edited by HeyItsJono,
D

Deleted User

Without a release no one is going to believe this is real. There could be an amiibo stand hidden just outta sight, there could be an amiibo card hidden behind the phone, etc etc.

DaOG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Also I'm not a dude.
Are you a grill?

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
Without a release no one is going to believe this is real. There could be an amiibo stand hidden just outta sight, there could be an amiibo card hidden behind the phone, etc etc.
>New 3DS. There is no stand.
>It's NFC. There is a chip on the battery. It doesn't seem hard. Just back up the amiibo data and transmit it with the phone = profit.

Syphurith

Beginner
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Good work. Faked or won't release? Don't matter that.
Hope you have good time with your development.
Also i doubt if we could see a weird feature someday that it modify the amiibo system modules in 3DS, and just emulate it without external hardware.
That would be Super $ Saver for some.. Except you can not touch the actual toy. (ha)

Reactions: Fartonaut

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm interested by how it works ^^ looks neat, and even if it's not released, I don't care.
And btw, another hate thread ? Seriously guys ? Just let the man do his work. He just proved that he can do something. It's illegal to do this but you're still blaming him to never release anything because he doesn't want to be sued.
And you know that amiibos are not needed to play games, right ? amiibos are just physical DLCs. So if he doesn't release anything, you will lose nothing. You will just have to go out and buy your amiibo if you really want it.
And you know, it won't work on all mobile phones, as OP said. It will work with CyanogenMod, and only on specific devices. So just stop.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Pingo hyped the situation before writing any code
Just saying. And even if it's not complete, there's still code. It was just buggy as f**k and was making the system panic really randomly.

HeyItsJono

Breath of Fresh Heir
Trophies
XP
Country
Just saying. And even if it's not complete, there's still code. It was just buggy as f**k and was making the system panic really randomly.

Ok, fair enough :) Pingo hyped the situation before getting his work to the stage where it was decently stable and working. The fact that he kept telling people he would release + all the hype about KTM being safer also made people hold off on a downgrade until they lost their 10.3 safety net. Either way, the issue is moot because this is nothing like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1