Gaming And once again Sony screws over the GO Owners

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They doomed the Go by not letting users download games they owned on UMD or allowing them to rip the UMD themselves and put it on their Go. It is crazy to think that the majority of users would want a device where you had to pay again to get the same games if you already had a PSP/Slim. I can see their reasoning behind it, however. You could go rent or borrow a PSP game and then rip it/download it. They should make a kiosk in game stores that allow you to 'trade in' your UMD by ripping it and uploading it to your Go and keeping the UMD. Or an exchange program where you sent in your UMD and it gave you a code to download the game on your Go. At least that would be partly fair.

ragingchaosgod

JUBILEUS QAAL OVOF VOMSARG
Trophies
Website
therokuryu.tumblr.com
XP
Country
^ I was about to link that. But seriously. Way to stereotype your demographic, Sony. If I looked at that offer, it means I can't get Little Big Planet just because I'm over 17? Ridiculous, really.

damiussus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Sony screwed everyone over who bought a PSP GO period. It took away the ability to buy used games or sell back games you don't play anymore. Now if you don't want to pay full price for a game you have to wait till the PSN drops the price. And who knows how long that will take.

deka01

Trophies
XP
Country
Whats the point in a psp go isn't it just a smaller psp held together with clips and no screws. It seems to me like having a smaller brain which has more chance of getting a tumor

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Magoo222 said:
Don't feel too bad, they're also screwing potential future Go owners with this offer too!

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/26/age-dete...ee-game-option/
That's pretty fucked up. Most kids these days play games rated way higher than their actual age, and adults play 'childish' games, like LBP.

Sony, you fail yet again
closedeyes.gif

ragingchaosgod

JUBILEUS QAAL OVOF VOMSARG
Trophies
Website
therokuryu.tumblr.com
XP
Country
deka01 said:
Whats the point in a psp go isn't it just a smaller psp held together with clips and no screws. It seems to me like having a smaller brain which has more chance of getting a tumor

It's a psp without a UMD place so you have to rely on games downloaded off the PSN to play anything. This was supposedly to combat piracy, I'm guessing but...
all in all, it was a botched job.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
PSP Go was a project by Sony is was no way to replace UMD's or retail sales, its meant for people on the Go.

If you don't like it, simple, don't buy it.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Hoverlord Nadrian said:
Magoo222 said:
Don't feel too bad, they're also screwing potential future Go owners with this offer too!

That's pretty fucked up. Most kids these days play games rated way higher than their actual age, and adults play 'childish' games, like LBP.

Sony, you fail yet again
closedeyes.gif

If they let under 17s download Assassin's Creed there would be a huge backlash but I agree forcing the over 17 year olds to take AC when LBP is a much nicer game (AC is mediocre at best) is absolute bullshit

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Prowler485 said:
PSP Go was a project by Sony is was no way to replace UMD's or retail sales, its meant for people on the Go.

I presume you have a Go?
ph34r.gif

Jamstruth said:
Hoverlord Nadrian said:
QUOTE(Magoo222 @ Feb 27 2010, 01:08 PM) Don't feel too bad, they're also screwing potential future Go owners with this offer too!

Sony, you fail yet again
closedeyes.gif

If they let under 17s download Assassin's Creed there would be a huge backlash but I agree forcing the over 17 year olds to take AC when LBP is a much nicer game (AC is mediocre at best) is absolute bullshit
Backlash? How?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ragingchaosgod said:
deka01 said:

It's a psp without a UMD place so you have to rely on games downloaded off the PSN to play anything. This was supposedly to combat piracy, I'm guessing but...
all in all, it was a botched job.

Well, the PSP Go is kind of an "ahead of its time" idea, like the Dreamcast. Unfortunately, they did a horrible job with the Go compared to the terrific Dreamcast (even though the Dreamcast didn't sell well, it still has some amazing games for it and was at the forefront of bringing online gaming to home consoles).

Let's face it, eventually physical media will be phased out. So many people buy media online. Music from iTunes, games from Steam, etc etc. The Go basically represents what consoles may eventually become. It sucked because instead of bridging the gap between downloadable and physical media, it just abandoned it. They could have tacked on a UMD drive or used a specific code for each game (like the code you get for Nintendo games to get points from Club Nintendo) so you could add your owned collection to your Go, it may have worked. Although the thing is supposedly built like shit and it's severely overpriced.

The Go won't receive the same praise the Dreamcast did in retrospect, but it still shows how exactly gaming will be once physical media goes the way of the dinosaur.

Um, yeah, anyway, on topic, I might as well just buy a regular PSP system and a bunch of games for the price of buying a Go. I can get a PSP 1000 for what, $100 refurbished? That's $150 left for buying games. Or you can just pirate them all.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Hoverlord Nadrian said:
Prowler485 said:

I presume you have a Go?
ph34r.gif

No, I don't have one.
I'm just sick of people whining about it.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Guild McCommunist said:
I can get a PSP 1000 for what, $100 refurbished? That's $150 left for buying games. Or you can just pirate them all.
Yeah, download a PSP
biggrin.gif

lol

Prowler485 said:
Hoverlord Nadrian said:
QUOTE(Prowler485 @ Feb 28 2010, 02:47 PM) PSP Go was a project by Sony is was no way to replace UMD's or retail sales, its meant for people on the Go.

I presume you have a Go?
ph34r.gif

No, I don't have one.
I'm just sick of people whining about it.
Why? It's nothing special, yet Sony makes an incredible fuss about it. Okay, some people really whine too much about it, but they have a point.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Prowler485 said:

You may be sick of the whining about the Go but your completely wrong in your understanding. The Go was in no way designed with the consumer in mind...PSP's are small enough for portable gaming anyway and the screens are all terrible in daylight irrespective of model. The Go is for Sony's benefit and not ours....

The PSP Go was fundamentally a move by Sony to obtain complete control of the system, and if successful you can bet that they'd have phased out the UMD based PSP's asap. Since all content usable by the GO is digital they are free to implement whatever security additions they are able to cook up in an effort to slow piracy. In addition eliminating physical media and distributing costs cranks up profits, and to add insult to injury 3rd party publishers have to pay tarifs to Sony based upon the game size. Top that off with the abolition of the PSP standard Pro Duo and the introduction of the M3 and it really is cash mongering. In fact one of the marketing execs even said that the Go carried a Premium price just because it was new....what a con....

The PSP Go is a cruddy attempt to maximise profit at the expense of the consumer. How can it truly be meant for people on the Go when it has a reduced battery life and no removable power cell, plus it requires a PC if you want to alter content easily (as opposed to swapping UMD's). People had been clamouring for a second nub for years...if Sony actually cared what we wanted they'd have added that.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Prowler485 said:

I fail to see how downloading games is more convenient on the "go" than buying a new UMD. If you're somewhere with wireless internet the B wireless in the Go will take 2 hours to download a decent game and drain all your battery. UMDs are much easier on the Go, if you want a new game you just go into a store and buy one then you're able to play it on your PSP instantly, or after an update included on the UMD.

Hoverlord Nadrian said:
Jamstruth said:
Hoverlord Nadrian said:
QUOTE(Magoo222 @ Feb 27 2010, 01:08 PM) Don't feel too bad, they're also screwing potential future Go owners with this offer too!

Sony, you fail yet again
closedeyes.gif

Backlash? How?

The game is rated M (17+) in the USA. If Sony let PSP Go owners under this age download the game then there'd be a huge backlash from "Video Games cause violence" groups saying that AC is training kids to stab their mates in the back and generally cause all sorts of problems, especially since its a free game with the system. That said I understand there is no legal obligation on Sony to stop the sale of the game to minors in America (since the American ratings system is fucked up.)

In Britain if a game is rated 16+ a 15 year old can't buy it due to store policies not sure on the laws governing those ratings. There are also BBFC ratings which are legally backed up though and there's a threat of fines etc. but the differences result in the fucked up instances where a collector's edition of a game (which has a DVD meaning the game must be rated by BBFC) has a 15 rating while the actual game has a 16+ rating... but I've gone too far off topic.

Also @Xist, a 2nd analog nub would be useless. What would it do in shooters but assign the face buttons to a joystick? The PSP Go was supposed to be a new PSP variant not a new console which would have to have its own line of games which would utilise the 2nd nub.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill