Anbernic RG-ARC, a Sega Saturn controller-inspired retro gaming handheld, gets shipping and pricing details

anbernic rg arc.jpg

The newest addition to Anbernic's line of retro gaming handhelds is the RG-ARC which bears a form factor akin to the Sega Saturn controller. The company has announced that the device, which is currently under pre-orders, will ship this November 20th.

It's worth noting that there are two variants of the RG-ARC: the single, Linux-based OS RG ARC-S which starts at $70 and the dual Android and Linux OS RG ARC-D which starts at $90. Both models pack the same RK3566 chip and form factor but differs in that the RG ARC-D has a touchscreen and 2GB RAM while the RG ARC-S has no touchscreen and only 1GB of RAM. More details about the differences between the models can be found on the official product page.

:arrow: SOURCE

supershadow64ds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd definitely like to see how the "ports" works to be honest. A cheap lil device that I can play classic Linux games and in a neat form factor? Sounds like fun.

Though that D-Pad looks super uncomfortable.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well considering most portables in that category have been mimicking Nintendo consoles exclusively I guess this one is aimed at the handful of people that prefer Sega consoles.

Though this should at least make emulating the few six button enabled games for the genesis / mega drive and Saturn games more comfortable to play than with the regular diamond button layout.

More eWaste... Just bite the bullet and get a real portable: Steam Deck, Lenovoegion or Rog Ally.

Ambernic is just offloading trash overseas.
Those 3 are complete overkill for retro games, and neither of them has six face buttons to feel like the Sega consoles. This thing will fit into a pocket of a jacket, the steam deck won't.

Reactions: auntnadia

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
More eWaste... Just bite the bullet and get a real portable: Steam Deck, Lenovoegion or Rog Ally.
Me when I miss the entire point of a 'retro' gaming handheld:

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP

Those are not as portable (you need a backpack with decent empty space to fit those), and battery will last less than 2 hours.

Anbernic ones fit on your pocket and will play for 6 hours or so. Also anbernic has objectively better OS for retro gaming out of the box.

SDA

Shame Yourself
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wonder if you can actually make a controller out of this handheld to connect it to your Sega Saturn and play with it? :rofl2:

Okay I'll stop.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought this for like $10 and I'm happy with it, I ain't buying any other retro handheld as this is just to play here and there.

All these handhelds do feel kinda pointless.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hopefullly saturn bin/cue's are playable or other extra buttons are uneeded I might order the $90 for the fact it has more ram thus (might) be able to play saturn games, tapped out this month cause of starfield

Nakamichi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
gotta admit... thats legitimately cool.
i may buy this, just for the controls alone.
... lets hope it actually runs saturn well :rofl:

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure the voice in the video is the same as the scam call frog :rofl2:

They forgot to mute the source video audio halfway through too lol

IceBlueLugia

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is that even powerful enough to emulate Saturn? If it's just good for Genesis then it's hard to really justify buying a whole handheld for it when the diamond layout with L and R still works okay in most cases for Genesis games and is a lot more practical for every other video game system

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Complete nonsense. I've got a Steam Deck and it's amazing but how in the world would I carry that with me all the time? It's chunky as f*ck.

Therefore I got myself an Anbernic RG405M for retro gaming and it's amazing. I can't allow a bad word about it. Also the battery lasts 20 freakin' hours. Nothing beats that. A Nokia 3210 maybe. But nothing else. :P

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Okay so apparently the D-pad is

✅ Hadoukenable
✅ Shoryukenable

And that's where the praise ends. It's a typical Anbernic device, solid build but severely overpriced. I don't see why people are calling this "affordable" when it struggles to run Dreamcast.

Just bite the bullet and get a real portable: Steam Deck, Lenovoegion or Rog Ally.
Steam Deck is fine but the other two are like $1000, not really an alternative for a $80 device. That's not just biting the bullet, that's biting the entire magazine.

Ducolamia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm torn. On one hand, this fulfills a specific niche and I could definitely see a purpose for those who really want it.
At the same time, I love my Steam Deck and Miyoo Mini+ so much it's hard-pressed for me to switch to something like this. The Steam Deck being bulky is a downside but I can't say I'd give it up just for this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker. +1