An idea probably impossible

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Dizwix, Apr 21, 2009.

Apr 21, 2009

An idea probably impossible by Dizwix at 3:34 PM (1,158 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Dizwix
    OP

Newcomer Dizwix Advanced Member

France
    Is this possible to use Wi-Fi to transfer the local network of DS.I mean,in example,the wifi mode of GTA CTW is a disaster.But the local mode is way better.I'd love to play GTA with friends on distance.
    Is there a way to do it?

PS:My english is kinda crappy.

2. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    Well, apparently there were people that worked to do the opposite, but nothing was ever released. As in fake.
    So probably won't happen.

3. BlackNeedle

Newcomer BlackNeedle Advanced Member

Germany
    Might be, if one was to write an app for a flashcard which supports wifi file transfer. But even then it would only be transfering the whole rom and of course both players would have to own a Flashcard with the app. If an app like this exists, somebody else will probably tell you, I don't know. [​IMG]
    But since if both own the Flashcard anyway it would be a lot easier to just transfer the rom from PC to both cards. IMHO it is not possible doing this another way, or maybe hardly, because it would probably include Reverse Engineering the whole game and adding some kind of function I've never even seen in any other game. [​IMG]
    Hope this helps,
    ~BlackNeedle

4. Dizwix
    OP

France
    Thx for your answers.Especially you,Blackneedle =)
    But,isn't it possible to make a server on PC ,that would just read the wifi signal and don't need a flashcart?

5. commdante

Member commdante GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Local networking/multiplayer on the DS doesn't use wifi conform to ISO, most call it nifi. Hence it's near impossible to tunnel local mp (ad hoc) through a wan.

6. BlackNeedle

Newcomer BlackNeedle Advanced Member

Germany
    Please try to be more concrete, even if you're less fond at the language (I'm no native speaker myself, so I know what it's like [​IMG] ). I did not really get what you're up to...
    It is of course possible to monitor a wireless network. This includes a network a DS is connected to, and using e.g. Wireshark one could also easily dump any traffic. But why would that be any use?

7. Dizwix
    OP

France
    I mean that I'd enjoy play GTA CW in Wi-Fi but in the local mode.The real Wi-Fi mode is bad,you can just trade some drugs or chat.But in the local mode,you can do some races,or Deathmatches.So I mean using the local wi-fi network and send it over wifi by some servers to another user.Local but on distance^^

8. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    Local wifi games expect the other players systems to 'reply' within a couple of frames. The ds tunnel idea was abandoned because there is absolutely no way to get to ds's to communicate over the internet when they are expecting to be local is absolutely impossible. Both DS's will give up as the signal is not received fast enough. They will each think the other player has dropped out.

9. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    I don't believe that it is possible.

10. Dizwix
    OP

France
    Okay,thank you =)