an ebook reader

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by rwn, Jan 9, 2010.

Jan 9, 2010

an ebook reader by rwn at 1:59 PM (3,999 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. rwn
    OP

Newcomer rwn Member

United States
    so, does anyone know of an e book reader besides DS reader. preferably one similar to the way the Flips "games" are done? because i honestly have to say that would be truly amazing. reading it on the side like a book, while using the touch screen to change the page. given i have no coding or programming experience so i have no idea how hard it would be... but it doesn't seem to hard to rotate the way it displays in the screen... and as for the touch screen... i have no clue how hard that could be...

2. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    I wish someone could figure out a way to inject text into the Flips framework, that would be amazing.

3. btags

Newcomer btags Member

United States
    ds libris does that

4. rwn
    OP

Newcomer rwn Member

United States
    that would be really amazing. what would be really cool is if someone could make a pdf reader seriously lol

5. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    There is already a pdf reader called ands-pdf google it

It can't read huge files though.

6. rwn
    OP

Newcomer rwn Member

United States
    thats great if it was completed... or really released

7. Gariscus

Member Gariscus Former Team Cyclops Mod

Australia
    ands-pdf has been released...

8. linkmaster03

Newcomer linkmaster03 Advanced Member

United States
    DSLibris allows you to read sideways like a book and flip pages using the touch screen. It only accepts text and XHTML books though.

9. djshok

Newcomer djshok Member

Canada
    DSLibris is pretty good and lets you have the DS turned sideways. There's also another one called Dolphin Reader that I've heard is decent. Though I have no idea how to get it to run becasue the readme file is a bunch of garbled crap instead of text... so if you feel like experimenting you could give that one a try too.

10. Retrievil

Member Retrievil GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I've checked out pretty much every option for ebook reading on the DS. I read a ton of books on it, in fact, I think I read on my DS way more than I play games.

DSLibris is the best reader by far. All the other ones have formatting issues, or can't display in 'book mode'.

The only drawback to DSLibris is that it only works well with the .epub format. This isn't really an issue though as you can just grab Calibre, which is a freeware convertor. It converts any format into epub in like 2 seconds.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

11. djshok

Newcomer djshok Member

Canada
    The only thing I really can't stand about DSlibris is how it makes you put all the files in root directory. I f-ing hate it when homebrew makes you do that. How hard is it to code these things to be able to use subfolders...

12. cutterjohn

Member cutterjohn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    As mentioned, above, DS Libris. I've tried just about every single e-book reader on the DS and it's the best that exists.

Now if you're serious about e-books, forget about the DS as color LCD screens are HORRIBLE for reading text. So go out and spend $150 or so on an e-Ink reader device. Trust me, you won't regret it. (Or if you want to go cheaper, try looking for the Fictionwise reader. It used to be the Rocket Book reader, then Gemwise reader(forget the model #), but it had a monochrome screen -> i.e. it's actually readable in sunlight unlike ANY color LCD, e-Ink is better, but these are c. $100. You could also look around e-bay for old monochrome Palms or one from one of the licensees.)

(I have the REB-1100(? I think that was the model #), but it died a while back so I got myself a Sony PRS-505 last year. Today I'd probably go the the B&N Nook or if I wanted to wait for shipping from someplace like Astak that sells a Hanlin reader under their own name for which a replacement open source firmware exists(Open Inkpot). Foxit is also trying to sell a re-badged e-Ink reader, but I've forgotten which Chinese OEM they're using offhand and Open Inkpot doesn't really support that yet(nor does it support Sony products or the Nook).

I also made do with a Palm IIIx(plus TRG's XTRA XTRA Pro memory expansion) and a Franklin eBookman for a while, but overall I like the e-Ink screen excepting price, better. (And I miss the added functionality of devices like the Palm and eBookman).

If you pick up one of the dedicate readers, go google up a program called Calibre. It'll be your very best friend...

[EDIT]
    heh. I had forgotten that DS Libris decided to be avant-garde and add support for epub. (It's what every dedicated reader uses excepting the Kindle. They also can read PDFs, but because of screen size and speed it tends to be kind of useless and conversion of PDF->anything else just plain sucks if the PDF is even mildly formatted. Most of the readers will zoom PDFs, but they lose most of the formatting when they do that, much like stand-alone PDFconverters do, and then there are those oh so tricky PDFs that are nothing more than a bunched of scanned page images... I really hate those...)
    [/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
    A drawback on the e-Ink devices is that the VAST majority of them have no inbuilt lighting capability, so you either need to provide a clip light or have some other light source to read after dark by. The fictionwise reader has a backlight, as would old Palms and some of the eBookman models, but I'd stay away from the eBookmans as they were some of the electronics devices hit by the wave of faulty Taiwanese/Chinese capacitors. i.e. they(eBookman) lose memory when the batteries are removed which is bad since the eBookman kept the operating system in RAM which means the entire thing has to be re-setup unless you have the obscure memory card that they supported.
    [/EDIT2]

13. rwn
    OP

Newcomer rwn Member

United States

while i do agree that spending the money of an E-reader is great. for the time being (basically until i am able to spend the money on it) i am stuck using the DS or laptop. (but want something more portable than the laptop)

and as for reading Ebooks on the DS it really isn't that bad at all. specially not with the way that the Flips "game" was formatted. rather smooth... basically just a finished version of DSlibris.

and as for reading in the sun... meh if i am outside when the sun is out i am busy doing other things than reading.

and if i do spend the money on an E reader i will try to find a good touchscreen one. i like touchscreen lol XD

and thank you for all of the information =]

14. stonypebbles

Newcomer stonypebbles Newbie

Australia
    so does this DSLibris support txt fines xhtml and epub or something....

could someone guide me through what is DSLibris and what it does like how to run it

15. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    http://ands-pdf.blogspot.com/2009/03/ands-...release-14.html

16. Mr.Mysterio

Member Mr.Mysterio GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Qatar
  17. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Do you happen to have it yourself?
    If so, could you upload it to something like MediaFire?

The download link 404's for me.

18. Mr.Mysterio

Member Mr.Mysterio GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Qatar
    I think I have it somewhere.
    I will upload it to Filetrip.
    Be warned though!
    I have not tested it.
    (It comes clean on nod32)

EDIT
    Download Link

19. twiztidsinz