tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you're missing cables mostly.....and you'll certainly run into different things as you put together a system. Might want to pickup some decent cooling while you're @ it (aka more case fans that fits your case and a better cpu cooler). There's not much difference other than using dual channel technology and 2 512s takes up more slots (impedes future upgrading) than a 1 gig taking 1 slot. You got a cable modem, fine, hook it up to the cable line and hook a ethernet cable (rj-45) to your computer and you're ready to go. I'm sure that motherboard comes with built in (@ least 10 mbit) network card.....if not you'll need to either buy a network card or if you want to go wireless, you need a wireless router and a wireless network card.

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Allright, thanks. And I just found out that they only ship to USA adresses. Dang. Got to go find a Canadian site.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I hope you don't intend to play with this PC.
- The graphics card you selected is very low quality (9600 Pro), don't expect to be able to play games like Oblivion.
- You have chosen to buy an additional PCI sound card while you already have an onboard sound chip. You WILL have IRQ conflicts when you'll want to use your PCI sound card, believe me. I have made the same mistake in the past, not listening to my friends who told me not to do so.
- why buy additional PCI USB 2.0 ports? you already have 6... 4 on the front, 2 on the rear

oh and also, why would you buy a pci sound card? the onboard sound chip is already 5.1 compatible...

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hope you don't intend to play with this PC.
- The graphics card you selected is very low quality (9600 Pro), don't expect to be able to play games like Oblivion.
- You have chosen to buy an additional PCI sound card while you already have an onboard sound chip. You WILL have IRQ conflicts when you'll want to use your PCI sound card, believe me. I have made the same mistake in the past, not listening to my friends who told me not to do so.
- why buy additional PCI USB 2.0 ports? you already have 6... 4 on the front, 2 on the rear

oh and also, why would you buy a pci sound card? the onboard sound chip is already 5.1 compatible...

Haha, this is exactally why I was asking first. I have no idea what I'm doing lol. Anyways, with this info in mind, I'm making a new cart on a Canadian site.

Also this is probably a really dumb question, but do I need to solder anything? Or is everything just cables?

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
only reason you'd need to solder is to do some hardcore modding, aka doing a voltage drop mod on a asus board. But it sounds like everyday useability you're looking for so you're good to go. If you want to play games, maybe look toward a better video card like the above mentioned.

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
you'll end-up spend more then $700.

building a PC not that easy for new beginner..
I already builded 6 PC totals.

I could help you but frist tell me what:

CPU:
Video Card:
motherboard:

and you need a Windows MCE/XP installer CD

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Diamond S120 Radeon 9550 / 256MB DDR / AGP 8x / DVI / VGA / TV Out / Video Card (1 lbs)

I have essentially this card without the TV out (its STI not Diamond) and provided the mobo has the AGP slot to use it, for a cheap card its pretty darned good. Can even play Oblivion reasonably well (aka: a tad better than XBox1 graphics).

omegatr0n

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
honestly i know thiers amd fanboys and intel fanboys...but i have to say go core 2 duo...Also your graphics card SUCKS...get also i would rather get two 250 gb hdds and run them raid then one 320 as its not really all that much mor ein price

Mchart

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you dont want to use the onboard sound, which on most mobo's (besides nforce mobo's) suck. Then I would suggest a creative X-Fi. If you are going to get a sound card the X-Fi is the ONLY way to go right now.

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Er, I dont know what Costello is talking about. The onboard soundchip on most motherboards usually sucks, hence why I buy me a good ole Creative Sound Blaster Audigy. You can get a 7.1 card for like, 50 bucks now. As far as IRQ conflicts, as long as you uninstall the drivers for the onboard chip, and disable it in the device manager, you shouldn't have any problems. I don't.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Kyoji is right, if you uninstall the drivers and disable the chip in the bios, there will be no problem. But based on your apparent knowledge seja_8 I thought you wouldn't like to hear that anyway. The onboard sound chips are usually decent. I recommend you to try it before you spend extra money on a PCI sound card. Yes, try it and you'll see if you need a new sound card.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You can use a CRT TV screen as a monitor but I advise if you want to be able to, for example read these forums with it, invest in even a cheap CRT computer monitor. There is no problem with using both a cheap monitor and a TV screen, I have that setup in my lounge room right now.
Old secondhand 15" Dell trinitron CRT and my CRT TV both hooked up to the computer.

CRT TV screens only output at a very low resolution and it can be very hard to read text off them. apart from that problem you will NEED a monitor with VGA or DVI input to set up the computer to use the video out and even to install an operating system.

As far as sound goes I'm with Costello. You seem to building a budget machine with reasonable processing power and unless I missed it you haven't mentioned what you will be outputting the sound through.

No use having an $666, 8.3 channel, DTX THC certified creato-blaster max edition soundcard if you are going to be using some cheap stereo speakers, cheap earphones or your TV speakers for the sound.

Onboard sound is very good these days and I don't know why it gets such a bad rap. I have an Audigy 2 ZS platinum pro on my main computer and it makes music sound beautiful through my expensive Sennheiser headphones and thumps my Logitech Z-680 speakers loudly. That was over AU $1200 worth all up to have that though. I would not spend that much for sound hardware again. Well the Headphones were worth every penny
wink.gif

But I'm a big fan of spending the money to get nice peripherals. A good quality keyboard makes more users happy with their computer than an extra 2MB of level 2 Cache ever did.

I find Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse the most important parts of the computer for MOST people. I'm sure others will reply stating that you need gigabit ethernet and water cooling but I've spent 6 years now custom building PCs for the masses and that's my experience.

Whatever you get, good luck building and I hope you are happy with what you get.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y