am i 100% safe to start playing around with menu themes?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by newby1976, Mar 24, 2010.

1. newby1976
    OP

Member newby1976 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    i have installed preloader and boot2 installed on my wii and 2 copys of my NAND backup so am i 100% safe to start playing around with menu themes?

is there anything else i need to do first?

2. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    You are never 100% safe. But with both priiloader and boot2-bootmii you are very safe.

3. Deanr1977

Newcomer Deanr1977 Member

United Kingdom
    Yeah you sound like your almost ready to go..... after you read a few guides first then your be ready, i installed a theme it worked then i done another one straight afterwards & bricked my wii, luckly enough i read a couple of guides & ten minutes later i was back to normal again [​IMG] Just be careful & make sure you read ever little detail or their is the possiblity that you will brick, it is safe to install if you do it correctly that is [​IMG] So take my advise & read some guides before you go any further.

If ive helped please say thanks by leaving me some Rep

4. Safavid

Newcomer Safavid Advanced Member

United States
    Tbh safe honestly, just read all the documentations and run through guides entirely and while you're doing the steps.

Know of the risks and how to prevent/treat them beforehand.

5. Servdogg

Member Servdogg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You should be fine. You may want to use NUS Downloader to obtain a wad file of your wii's system menu. Its pretty easy, but if you need help search for a guide on NUS Downloader. If you ever do install a bad theme, or corrupt your system menu somehow, you will need this wad to reinstall your wii's system menu via preloader.

6. Fear_the_Tubes

Newcomer Fear_the_Tubes Advanced Member

United States
    Do you have bootmii installed to boot2 or IOS?

Either way you can recover and you shouldn't have any trouble with themes provided you read the instructions. If your extra paranoid try some of the more popular themes first like the darkwii theme.

7. Dante Wolfe

Newcomer Dante Wolfe Member

United States
    Your never too safe to start messing with it. once you do you start a downward spiral into brickdom.

8. newby1976
    OP

Member newby1976 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    thanks for the advice, installed darkwii, miles better the the original wii menu ..... is there any other great themes i should try?

9. sirelboe

Newcomer sirelboe Member

United States
    all the other themes are corny and the button text doesnt show on most of the buttons.. just pictures so u need to know what is what from memory to navigate the menu.. i use darkwii with a custom health screen i made myself